Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAC licence in EIRE

Options
  • 28-02-2011 6:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi guys
    Just joined this forum so I hope I am welcomed.
    I studied in Ireland between 1977 to 1984
    I had a FAC then and it was a paper joby without photos
    I am retiring soon and wish to return to Dublin
    Is there any chance to revive this licence or is it a different ball game now?
    Any advice would be appreicated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Firstly welcome aboard, hope you find the forum useful. The licensing system was changed a few years ago and it would be a new application I'd say.

This link is the required paperwork for a new license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 londonhunter

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If I were you, I'd look in Gundealers in London before coming over here.

Buying in the UK is normally cheaper (problem for us is we can't see before we buy without travelling)

Do you have an Irish passport , if so AFAIK you can licence a firearm here once you have an address, meet security requirements and have a purpose for having Target/Hunting/Vermin control. (might need a reference off UK local Plod to say you were a good boy there)

Hunting in Ireland normally requires 3 farmers written permissions.
    Target shooting membership of a Target shooting Club/Authorized Range
    Vermin control also farmer signatures for fox shooting etc

And Welcome on Boards.ie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 londonhunter

All no problems and thanks for the advice
    I know a few of the boys who shoots for Ireland so I will talk to them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Move to Cork, we have Murphy's Irish Stout in abundance :)

Good luck getting your FAC licence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

You are most welcome here,all fellow shooters/hunters are.
    hope it works out once you can figure out all the bull***t with our laws and comply.
    happy hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Do you already hold GB licenses ?

My understanding is that the EC Firearms Laws changed on 20 July of this year. If you hold Licenses in any EU State and you relocate to another EU State then getting licensed there should be reasonably automatic under EU Law..

Provided : -

(i) What you want to (re) license is actually legal and not prohibited in the State you are moving to and...
    (ii) Your security \ good requirement has not changed in any material way (ie: you are still a member of whatever Clubs and Associations etc. )

Either way you should take the advice given and bring toys with you rather than buying them here as there usually is a fair difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

freddieot wrote: »
    My understanding is that the EC Firearms Laws changed on 20 July of this year. If you hold Licenses in any EU State and you relocate to another EU State then getting licensed there should be reasonably automatic under EU Law.
    Sadly not. EU law is quite specific on the topic of firearms law, namely that EU law does not attempt to trump national law in this area. If a member state wants to have stricter laws than the rest of the EU, it's explicitly permitted.

What's changed is the Europass, which has been strengthened and moved another step towards being the sole travel document required; but it's still not universal either.

Unfortunately, if the OP wants to bring his firearms here, he has to go through the normal licencing procedure. But the advice of buying in the UK and bringing to here instead of buying here is pretty decent advice IMHO.

While each member state is allowed to have its own Firearms Regulations and Laws, in keeping with local requirements and issues, EU Directives do trump National Law, (unless the State involved has an exemption).

Ireland has no exemption as far as I am aware to the Directives which came into force on 20 July 2010.

The Irish Government was to transpose the latest Directives into Irish Law in keeping witht the introduction date of 20 July 2010. My understanding (maybe I'm wrong) is that this has not yet been completed (ie: we are out of step).

As I mentioned, as long as the firearm beoing applied for is legally allowed to be licensed in the country of destination and not prohibited (and obvious circumstances being equal), an EU citizen has an expectiation that their application would be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

While all that's true freddie, the directive in question specifically states:
    Article 3
    Member States may adopt in their legislation provisions which are more stringent than those provided for in this Directive, subject to the rights conferred on residents of the Member States by Article 12 (2).
    In other words, while EU law sets the baseline for what's allowed, any state that wants to allow less is perfectly entitled to do so (as we do) and a legal case can't be made that this isn't right under EU law because it explicitly permits it.

• Advertisement

Sparks I don't think we diverge as much as you might think. I'm not saying that the State cannot have it's own provisions. Of course they can and do... Security concerns and differing social conditions in different states mean that provisions are not only allowed but essential, and not just for firearms legislation.

What I am saying is that 'with those provisions in mind (secure accommodation, security, allowing medical data access for example), the state must still follow the Directive.

You cannot have provisions that counteract an EC Directive directly. Any provisions that any State imposes on it's citizens must also comply with EC Legislation as a whole. That applies to all issues and not just firearms of course. Sadly that's the result of seeking YES votes on this and that treaty over the years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 AKA_MADNESS

Hi guys
    Just joined this forum so I hope I am welcomed.
    I studied in Ireland between 1977 to 1984
    I had a FAC then and it was a paper joby without photos
    I am retiring soon and wish to return to Dublin
    Is there any chance to revive this licence or is it a different ball game now?
    Any advice would be appreicated

Yes Welcome!. I'm new to Boards myself. Hope you have many happy years of safe shooting ahead of you here. Happy Retirement! if that's possible in a recession :-)

Advertisement