Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting heathers

Options
  • 28-02-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Just wondering if it is a really bad idea to plant heathers this time of year. I want to fill in gaps where plants have died over the winter. I would prefer not to have big gaps in scrub bed until Autumn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

stwome01 wrote: »
    Just wondering if it is a really bad idea to plant heathers this time of year. I want to fill in gaps where plants have died over the winter. I would prefer not to have big gaps in scrub bed until Autumn.

Can't see why it would be a bad idea, they should grow well in the coming spring... Add lot's of Moisture holding compost not peat.... Some Heathers need Acidic/lime free soils....Plants going "dry" during the growing season is the biggest killer, so add a thick mulch and water in dry spells for the first year

Matter of interest why did the original plants die?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

The really hard frost before Christmas kill some of the scrubs. The forst last year also took a few which I was hoping might recover but never did. So I am now hoping to fill in the blanks.

B.T.W thanks for the advice. I don't have a much of a knowledge of gardening when it comes to scrubs etc.

Advertisement