Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful - Break in

Options
  • 28-02-2011 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi Everyone,

I just want to warn you all to be careful.
    My sister was broken into on Saturday night. She lives in apartment by the Gate cinema. Went away for one night and came back on Sunday to find the place destroyed. I think they must have known she was gone which is worrying.

Just an FYI really!
    Make sure you take all the precautions you can!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

People like that make me sick. Some people work hard to afford to buy some nice stuff and to have them just break in like that... disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Get a dog, outside lighting and an alarm system (or the perception that there is one). About all you can do. Of the three, the dog is the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Stabler008

tommy21 wrote: »
    Get a dog, outside lighting and an alarm system (or the perception that there is one). About all you can do. Of the three, the dog is the best!

She is living in an apartment so i'm afraid all of those are a no.

Stabler008 wrote: »
    She is living in an apartment so i'm afraid all of those are a no.

Hmmm well in a way it might be easier to secure depending on the landlord? If they gained access through a door then this needs to be properly secured, on both sides. If it was via a window then similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You can get alarms that bark when folk come near the door.. As one poster has said, few will brave a dog. When the landlord realises it is only a machine.. Not sure where you can get them but someone will know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

A lot of break-ins around the Bishopstown and Ballincollig areas lately but really it's happening everywhere. Heard some people talking yesterday about oil being syphoned out of domestic heating tanks.

When this recession kicked in a couple of years ago it was predicted there would be a sharp rise in robberies, that prediction has come to pass.

But burgulars should beware that there was a change in the law arising for the Padraig Nally case as regards people defending themselves and their property.

"would allow a householder to kill in certain circumstances, if defending themselves, their family or their home. This has become known colloquially as Nally's law since the case prompted the Commission to review law"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Big Tone wrote: »
    But burgulars should beware that there was a change in the law arising for the Padraig Nally case as regards people defending themselves and their property.

"would allow a householder to kill in certain circumstances, if defending themselves, their family or their home. This has become known colloquially as Nally's law since the case prompted the Commission to review law"

Has that actually come into effect?

Or can burgulars still sue your arse if ye catch and throw them out of your house?

Yup its in effect. Disgraceful that it wasn't there before - Nally was lucky he had a shotgun, most folk will just have a bat or golf club lying around. I have the latter and a dog who bites on command :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Bloody awesome!!! I get the chance to kick some arses :pac:

Well in fairness they would probably pity me more than anything if they tried breaking in and seen there was feic all to steal. Jaysus they might even give me a few bob! :D

Had a big van checking out our house at 2:30am one night, but we turned on lights and looked out window at them and talk about them booting it up the road. Twats :mad:

Really must tell people that and like look into it more as alot of folks still think they aint allowed to defend their homes from intruders.

Glad the OPs sister was out though as sometimes they are cheeky enough to rob while you are in the place. That would be terrifying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭HooterSnout

Our house got broken into also last November. Felt a bit sorry for em as well since there was nothing to rob. The most annoying thing was my passport was missing and I couldn't find it so I had it reported stolen. I found it later that night in the wastebin. Feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Stabler008

I firmly belive that the people who robbed the apartment are living in the building! It's the second apartment that has been robbed in the building since January. They also robbed the apartment the one night that my sister wasn't there. Then, after telling the management company what happended he said he wasn't surprised as it's so easy to open the lock he often does it when people get locked out!!! :mad: How stupid is this man?!?He has basically shown people how to break in to the apartments. He also told nobody about the 1st break in. It's a disgrace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Stabler008 wrote: »
    ......... It's a disgrace!

No, it's more likely €50!

Advertisement