Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Tiger Academy Dunboyne

• 28-02-2011 10:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭

Anyone here heard of or trained here? I see they do BJJ among others ans as its pretty close to where I'm living I though I might give it them a go. Bit concerned that I never seen them mentioned here though??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Never heard of them. There are lots of people with BJJ programmes out there now though some are good some not so good. YOur best bet is to ask the following questions:

1. How long is the coach training BJJ?
    2. Do they compete in BJJ tournaments
    3. Do they roll (spar) much?

None of which is a fundamental requirement for a good school, but might help you get a feel for what sort of club they are. If the answer to 1. is less than a year or two, then proceed with caution. Everyone starts somewhere, (I started a training group as a white belt) but in 2011 I don't think there's any reason for a white belt to be starting a club unless they're living in a remote part of the country (Dunboyne ain't remote).

If the answer to 2. is yes, then it shows they're willing to test themselves in competition. I think that's good. If it's no, then proceed with caution as there are some people selling BJJ classes because it's a popular art right now. There are online courses one can do to earn a grade which then entitles Jonny Karate to teach BJJ in some form.

If the answer to 3. is yes that can be a good sign. Beware the instructor who doesn't roll! I've heard stories around the place!

None of the above guarantees a high or low quality club. The best thing to do is to go and have a go there yourself and see how you get on. Probably the most important thing is atmosphere and friendliness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I think these guys are running a Gracie Garage, but if so that would mean they're not allowed to charge for BJJ classes.

Here are the rules for Gracie Garages https://www.gracieuniversity.com/LC/apply_view.aspx?c=63QJ4TGT7X&n=28&t=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

It seems fairly clear from their site that the class is free, occasional, and it's Gracie combatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

Clive wrote: »
    It seems fairly clear from their site that the class is free, occasional, and it's Gracie combatives.

They dont sell it as COMBATIVES, i read some were on the site that there are 100,000 people doing this online training and you can go as far a brown belt with just online training..

I don't think it's all that clear. On one page they're saying that they have Gracie Garage every now and then on Sundays, but on their timetable it looks like they have regular kids and adults BJJ classes throughout the week.

The subtitles of the BJJ classes - "Combatives" and "Master Cycle" - seem to indicate they're taken from the Gracie University material though, so maybe they don't do the garage thing any more? I guess the easiest thing for the OP would be to just ask them.

• Advertisement

http://www.goldentigeracademy.com/class_listing

no they teach BJJ on a regular basis. Who are the coaches? Who is this dude? http://www.goldentigeracademy.com/about

Honestly, who cares? This BJJ police stuff gives me the creeps.

Honestly, who cares?
    I think the OP cares - he's thinking of checking out a class, and wants to know what to look out for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭theT

Thanks for all the advice lads:D I'll let you know on Wednesday what its like. Not a complete beginer so I should be able to figure if it suits me pretty quick. My only concern was that there was little or no mention of him in this forum which I found a bit odd as every other Bjj coach/school/backyard instructor seems to be.

If all else fails at least I'll get to see an awesome beard first hand.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

cool beard, bro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP if its just the BJJ your interested in my suggestion (if you have transport) would be to check out established clubs first, and the top of my list within easy commute from Dunboyne would be Informed Performance in Finglas/Glasnevin or Coolmine BJJ Club in Coolmine community center.

At least you'll have the confidence in knowing they've a proven background in BJJ, and have the approval of this forum.

He was wondering if anyone had trained there or knew anything about them, which nobody has so far. Barry gave some good general points on what to look for, but already, as always happens in these types of threads we're into insults.

He was wondering if anyone had trained there or knew anything about them, which nobody has so far. Barry gave some good general points on what to look for, but already, as always happens in these types of threads we're into insults.

I've checked the reported posts forum and there's been no insults reported.

Informed Performance in Finglas/Glasnevin

Afraid with time/money constraints paying 80 quid a month when I could probably only make it to one class a week would be pretty hard to justify to the missus:D

Coolmine BJJ Club in Coolmine community center.

Does anyone know if this has expanded to more nights than just Friday?

theT wrote: »
    Informed Performance in Finglas/Glasnevin

Afraid with time/money constraints paying 80 quid a month when I could probably only make it to one class a week would be pretty hard to justify to the missus:D

Coolmine BJJ Club in Coolmine community center.

Does anyone know if this has expanded to more nights than just Friday?

They've Monday nights too, and they're affiliated to Straight Blast Gym.. http://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/group.php?gid=140785662617695

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

They've Monday nights too, and they're affiliated to Straight Blast Gym.. http://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/group.php?gid=140785662617695

Actually to clarify Danica Screeching Speedway Monday's are my Dad's Japanese Jiu Jitsu classes.

We're gi classes on Wed and MMA on Fri!

Here's the latest vid with class times and some catchy music for anyone interested in joining!

Apologies if I missed it in your video but what time are your wednesday classes?

Sorry I'd just like to point out that we also have a drop in per class rate if you're signed in by a member and also that I don't really care who is teaching what to who and why or if they're a Gracie garage or a Saulo Shed or a Helio Hangar. The OP asked a question and I tried to give some info on how to pick a good club from a bad. I'm sure there are bad clubs that have all the affiliation and lineage stuff sorted and likewise good clubs that have no connections to anyone.

So go to where you like the most and where you expect you'll stick at.

So I went and I saw and to be honest its not what I was expecting. So its not exactly BJJ but it is Gracie Comabitives. I knew already that I would be looking at a shoprter and more defined list of moves but what shocked me is that there was no rolling, no ressistence and that there wouldnt be until blue belt(which apparently can be done in a few months).

It wasnt all bad and there are some positives to be had from it:
    • The beard-absolutely awesome stuff:D
    • The no resistence rolling makes it easier to practice the technique before getting flattened
    • A defined goal-for those interested in getting grades(I never was) the path to Blue belt is pretty well defined
    Would I recommend it???? Well that depends on who is asking-someone with zero martial arts experience who wants to ease their way into it? definately... but for anyone who as ever done more that a few cl;asses of anything grapple related then probably not.

If only they had the same list of techniques with rolling I think it would be good, so that you are only mastering a small amount of techniques rather than being ok at a bucket load but I guess the Gracie's no best.....

Yeah, the Gracie University and Combatives things are fairly controversial on the internets.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82251
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61440

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Noticed that there are adverts for Golden Tiger Academy hosting Ryron Gracie in the latest edition of Irish Fighter.

From an article "Ryron Gracie's first visit"-
    Having studied for some time personally with Ryron Gracie at his Californian gym, in early 2010, Byrne opened the first official Gracie Jiu Jitsu school in Ireland.

Byrne teaches a wide variety of classes to students from four years to 60 years plus. He has over 25 years of experience in various styles and holds black belts in Combat WonHwaDo, Haidong Gumdo and Karate-do. He is also ranked blue belt in Gracie Jiu-jitsu under Ryron Gracie and is also graded in Japanese jiu-jitsu, taekwon-do, and multi-based weapons systems including the dynamic Korean martial art of JakDaeKiDo"

Accompanying the article is a tagline that says
    Irish students are pictured following their successful purple belt grading examination at the Gracie Jiu-jitsu acamdeny in Torrance

I don't see any mention of Gracie combatives or being a Gracie garage - are GJJ grades distinct from Gracie Combatives grades?

I don't see any mention of Gracie combatives or being a Gracie garage - are GJJ grades distinct from Gracie Combatives grades?
    The following was posted on their facebook page
    Hey everyone check out the new Irish Fighter Magazine out from Tue. Read all about GTA and the Ryron Gracie visit we are hosting!
    Please read the superb article on the recent CWHD instructor gradings and Ryron Gracie's forthcoming vist in April. "The Irish Fighter" available in all Eason's stores and GTA HQ.
    There ...are a few funny typo's too. Apparently me, Gerry and Steve are Gracie Purple Belts lol. (Should say blue belts) Also says we have the first "Official Gracie School in Ireland" (Should say Official Gracie Garage In Ireland)
    Enjoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭RebelSniper

I myself have never trained there as Im situated with Grandmaster Dorim Kims academy, but Master Ken, the owner is a brilliant owner, Im sure its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Apologies if I missed it in your video but what time are your wednesday classes?

Classes on Wed 20:30 - 22:30 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GJJ

Anyone here heard of or trained here? I see they do BJJ among others ans as its pretty close to where I'm living I though I might give it them a go. Bit concerned that I never seen them mentioned here though??
    Hi everyone I am that guy your asking so many questions about.
    Please enough of the BJJ police stuff thanks.
    Here are my details:
    Hold the rank of Blue Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu from Ryron Gracie, head instructor at the Gracie Academy HQ, Torrance CA, USA.
    Holds the rank of Blue Belt Stripe one under his Black Belt Instructor Simon Yeo (Roger Gracie London) Yeo Dojo Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Please note, that I have registered with Bjj.ie (BJJ listings for instructors and clubs) They have still not put me up despite. (is it because I am Gracie trained? or what? who knows and who cares?) Just come down and train to see if you like it?
    I teach the BJJ for self-defence. This is why it was invented and is the core to what the Gracies teach. And we do roll (spar). But as a beginner you will not get to spar right away. You should learn the basics first.
    If you wish to join please send me a mesage or email.
    We have over 75 people training BJJ every week. Seminars from 2011 Ryron Gracie, 2012 Ralek Gracie and Simon Yeo (Every couple of months)
    PS. You wont see me on Bjj.ie : )

GJJ wrote: »
    We have over 75 people training BJJ every week.
    That's a lot of people. What's your secret?

We have over 75 people training BJJ every week.
    That's a lot of people. What's your secret?
    Well Doug there is no real secret. My students like the fact that I teach BJJ for self-defence. In the adults class there are now more girls that guys. (now that's not something you dont see in most Bjj clubs)
    The class is well structured and the curriculum well defined. (I learned alot from Ryron Gracie about running classes and being a giving instructor to your students)
    "Shoes and Ego at the door please"

Well Doug there is no real secret. My students like the fact that I teach BJJ for self-defence. In the adults class there are now more girls that guys. (now that's not something you dont see in most Bjj clubs)
    The class is well structured and the curriculum well defined. (I learned alot from Ryron Gracie about running classes and being a giving instructor to your students)
    Good stuff. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but 75 members training every week may make you one of the biggest BJJ clubs in the country!

I've never had any big name mentors, but I'll share a little thing I picked up for myself running a judo club: If you're feeling a bit left out, try going down to some of the competitions and taking part. Shake a few hands and try and smile when you do it. It'll get you a lot further than sending e-mails or making posts on here.
    Sage words indeed.

Well Doug there is no real secret. My students like the fact that I teach BJJ for self-defence. In the adults class there are now more girls that guys. (now that's something you dont see in most Bjj clubs)
    Good stuff. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but 75 members training every week may make you one of the biggest BJJ clubs in the country!

I've never had any big name mentors, but I'll share a little thing I picked up for myself running a judo club: If you're feeling a bit left out, try going down to some of the competitions and taking part. Shake a few hands and try and smile when you do it. It'll get you a lot further than sending e-mails or making posts on here.
    Sage words indeed.
    Not sure if we are the biggest?? We do teach from 4years to adult so that could have something to do with it? Or maybe people just like the training environment?
    To be honest I don't feel left out as I am very busy. I just enjoying doing what I do. "I felt it was important to let people know about the Bjj.ie thing"
    Most people hear about what we do through our students who are the best promoters for the club.
    We are not a sport club but if my students wish to enter competitions then I will support them 100%.
    Thank you for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Hi Ken,

I'm Mark Curry, I do most of the updating and admin on BJJ.ie these days -

I checked my emails and the only messages I have from you is one dated 23-March-2010 saying
    Ireland's First Official Gracie Garage (Jiu-Jitsu Tigers)
    We are Ireland's first Gracie Garage! See our official application at www.gracieuniversity.com.

For more info please go to www.goldentigeracademy.com

Kind Regards
    Ken Byrne
    Head instructor at Golden Tiger Academy.

At the time we were actually having a debate on boards.ie about gracie combatives training and the community consensus was that we would not recognise Gracie Combatives belts.

I also received an email from you about a Ryron Gracie seminar which you will note we did in fact put on the website. http://www.bjj.ie/2011/02/07/ryron-gracie-seminar-15th-17th-april/

I did nothing about your first email because BJJ.ie is often mistaken for a governing body, particularly by newcomers to the community. As people often go there to find a gym to start training, I didn't see why we should list (and implicitly give our backing to) a gym run by someone learning BJJ over the internet.

I think it's worth mentioning how close Dunboyne is to Dublin. When you contacted me in 2010, John Kavanagh had already been a black belt for a few years - his gym is only a 30 minute drive from Dunboyne. In Dublin at that time there was also Dave Jones (chris brennan brown belt) and Andy Ryan (rodrigo medeiros brown belt) and those are just the highest-ranking coaches.

If you have since trained with a Roger Gracie black belt, and you have his blessing to teach, that is a different matter entirely and I would be happy to list you on the site. Please send emails directly to mark AT bjj DOT ie as we find the 'contact us' form a little buggy and it doesn't always go through.

dasmoose wrote: »
    Hi Ken,

I checked my emails and the only messages I have from you is one dated 23-March-2010 saying
    We are Ireland's first Gracie Garage! See our official application at www.gracieuniversity.com.

Kind Regards
    Ken Byrne

At the time we were actually having a debate on boards.ie about gracie combatives training and the community consensus was that we would not recognise Gracie Combatives belts.

I also received an email from you about a Ryron Gracie seminar which you will note we did in fact put on the website. http://www.bjj.ie/2011/02/07/ryron-gracie-seminar-15th-17th-april/

I did nothing about your first email because BJJ.ie is often mistaken for a governing body, particularly by newcomers to the community. As people often go there to find a gym to start training, I didn't see why we should list (and implicitly give our backing to) a gym run by someone learning BJJ over the internet.

I think it's worth mentioning how close Dunboyne is to Dublin. When you contacted me in 2010, John Kavanagh had already been a black belt for a few years - his gym is only a 30 minute drive from Dunboyne. In Dublin at that time there was also Dave Jones (chris brennan brown belt) and Andy Ryan (rodrigo medeiros brown belt) and those are just the highest-ranking coaches.

If you have since trained with a Roger Gracie black belt, and you have his blessing to teach, that is a different matter entirely and I would be happy to list you on the site. Please send emails directly to mark AT bjj DOT ie as we find the 'contact us' form a little buggy and it doesn't always go through.

Hi Mark nice of you to reply. Just to let you know I ran a Gracie Garage back then to get a training group together to start some GJJ training. Yes I trained in Combative's techniques and they may not have the approval of the BJJ community with the online grading system for blue belt.
    But for me it was a great way to get things started.
    (One of Ireland's top black belts started by watching videos, it's how he got started as he had no access to anyone at the start)
    There was no Gracie Combatives instructor available in Ireland.
    But some facts need to be known.
    I had been training with Simon Yeo before I received my blue belt in 2010 and still train under Simon today.
    I have a good friendship and mentor in Ryron Gracie.
    I graded in person for blue belt during a private grade with Ryron Gracie in the Gracie Academy HQ CA. (not online as is you assumed)
    Simon has since graded me for blue belt stripe 1 (in person)
    Thank You.

dasmoose wrote: »
    Hi Ken,

Kind Regards
    Ken Byrne

Hi Mark nice of you to reply. Just to let you know I ran a Gracie Garage back then to get a training group together to start some GJJ training. Yes I trained in Combative's techniques and they may not have the approval of the BJJ community with the online grading system for blue belt.
    But for me it was a great way to get things started.
    (One of Ireland's top black belts started by watching videos, it's how he got started as he had no access to anyone at the start)
    There was no Gracie Combatives instructor available in Ireland.
    But some facts need to be known.
    I had been training with Simon Yeo before I received my blue belt in 2010 and still train under Simon today.
    I have a good friendship and mentor in Ryron Gracie.
    I traveled to LA and graded in person for my blue belt during a private grading with Ryron Gracie 5th dan black belt and head instructor at the Gracie Academy HQ CA. (not online as is you assumed)
    Simon has since graded me for blue belt stripe 1 (in person)
    Thank You.

PS thank you for putting the Ryron Gracie 2011 Seminar up on the BJJ.ie website.

"We hare hosting Ralek Gracie seminar 14th April 2012"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

How much is the seminar for Ralek Gracie and how will it be run (Gi or NoGi)?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Andrew H wrote: »
    How much is the seminar for Ralek Gracie and how will it be run (Gi or NoGi)?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Here are the details.

Date: Saturday, 14th April 2012
    Seminar 1: Mount & Side Mount Submission & Survival Mastery (Gi) (10:00am to 1:00pm)
    Seminar 2: Standing & Triangle Mastery (No Gi) (2:00pm to 5:00pm)
    Costs : Single seminar - €60 or Both seminars - €95
    Register : info@goldentigeracademy.com

Thank You Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

Here are the details.

Date: Saturday, 14th April 2012
    Seminar 1: Mount & Side Mount Submission & Survival Mastery (Gi) (10:00am to 1:00pm)
    Seminar 2: Standing & Triangle Mastery (No Gi) (2:00pm to 5:00pm)
    Costs : Single seminar - €60 or Both seminars - €95
    Register : info@goldentigeracademy.com

Thank You Andrew.

Will he be doing a hip hop seminar or giving music privates aswell?

• Advertisement

I saw this on Sherdog last month and couldn't stop laughing.broccoli.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Royal Grappling Academy

Hi Ken, I didn't realise that there was someone else teaching Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu so close to me.

I'm really only around the corner in Verve Gym above the Eurospar since last september.

BJJ is growing in the Royal County.

Paul Fox, Royal Grappling Academy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

Hi Ken, I didn't realise that there was someone else teaching Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu so close to me.

I'm really only around the corner in Verve Gym above the Eurospar since last september.

Its sure is as we teach BJJ up here in sunny Ashbourne in Meath. I have one your guys here doing mma with me Paul and he said your classes are great and hes very strong too so keep up the good work.

Mick

Cheers Mick,

Assuming it's Rob... He's a machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

Yep thats him,really strong lad alright

• Advertisement

Its sure is as we teach BJJ up here in sunny Ashbourne in Meath. I have one your guys here doing mma with me Paul and he said your classes are great and hes very strong too so keep up the good work.

Mick
    Greetings Paul. Yep we are here a few years now. Would you be interested in Ralek Gracie seminar coming April 14th.
    Regards Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

awesome quote ;)

and good luck with the classes/seminars :)

Thanks for the invite Ken but I think I'll have to pass on that seminar... Good luck with it anyway. Since there's so many good guys (both Irish and International) doing seminars these days I've to limit myself.

awesome quote ;)

and good luck with the classes/seminars :)
    Thank you John (SBG) Your success and Ireland's first Black Belt is an inspiration for us all.
    Ken

Thanks for the invite Ken but I think I'll have to pass on that seminar... Good luck with it anyway. Since there's so many good guys (both Irish and International) doing seminars these days I've to limit myself.
    No worries Paul and nice to know who my friendly local BJJ neighbour is. : )
    Wishing you and your guys great success in the future.
    Ken

Advertisement