Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorist tries to kill cyclists.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Mad fecker!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Should be viewed as attempted murder tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭happytramp

The Police Chief of Porto Alegre has said that if it can be proved that he did it intentionally then he may be charged with attempted murder. The attacker, suspected to be the 47 year old owner of the car, has not yet been arrested but the police have been told by a lawyer representing the owner of the car that he will surrender himself today. Someone spoke to him before the attack and asked him to stop behaving so aggressively and that there were children and elderly people with the group, "yes, but I'm in a hurry" was his reply. He hit 20 people, putting 9 in hospital but amazingly nobody was seriously hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's nuts. What's with the guy screaming if anyone has called the police, I thought I saw at least one or two police there on bikes near the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

happytramp wrote: »
    He hit 20 people, putting 9 in hospital but amazingly nobody was seriously hurt.

I am astounded nobody was seriously hurt. That was vicious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's nuts. What's with the guy screaming if anyone has called the police, I thought I saw at least one or two police there on bikes near the start.

More to the point, why hasn't the guy filming called the police/ ambulance instead of filming?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

More to the point, why hasn't the guy filming called the police/ ambulance instead of filming?

presumably because he saw plenty of other people doing it and it's important to have a video record for several reasons, not least to be used in evidence against the car driver so he can (hopefully) get the punishment he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

:mad:slightly better quality video..... a$$wipe :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oOL6fMvhww&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

What a psycho! Considering the speed they were travelling at, the intention was clearly to hurt/kill people!
    The guy wearing the orange tee did well to get out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭happytramp

Okay, so he's turned himself into the police and is claiming that he was....wait for it....acting in self defense.

http://road.cc/content/news/31482-brazilian-driver-claim-self-defence-over-critical-mass-carnage-says-lawyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

bloody hell :eek: self defense my ass the people in front didnt do a damn thing to him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Evidence?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

Jaysus Christ! Thats terrible. The fact that he's claiming self defense is sickening. Hope the judge throws the book at him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

It's a miracle nobody was killed, hopefully all those who went to the emergency room are making good progress.

If he maintains this "defence" and won't accept that what he's done is reprehensible then he deserves the longest possible sentence. There is no difference between this and taking a machine gun and opening fire on a group of complete strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I'm guessing he was to some degree in shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

One of the reasons why nobody was killed was probably because cars are designed to throw people up rather than go over them.
    Partly because of this I hate to see the 'boy racers' with the home-made metal spoilers bolted to the boot lid. These are effective meat-slicers for anyone they hit and throw over the top. Illegal of course (e.g would not pass NCT and most will not have insurance for a modified car), but sure why would the traffic cops take any notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That was shocking and horrific. I thought the below was fairly awful too as it probably happens more often than we'd like:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Forgive my ignorance but where was this. Was it in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but where was this. Was it in ireland

Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

some people are so stupid :mad: i get a bit annoyed at some stuff on the roads (who doesnt) but it doesnt turn me into some nut job who wants to kill the person who caused the stupidity (which from the looks of some of these guys was themselves)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

That was shocking and horrific. I thought the below was fairly awful too as it probably happens more often that we'd like:
    Whatever the preceding circumstances, the cyclist in that video looks like he might be about to swing his bike into the other lad when he cops the punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

buffalo wrote: »
    Whatever the preceding circumstances, the cyclist in that video looks like he might be about to swing his bike into the other lad when he cops the punch.

He was going to swing it at the car I thought.

buffalo wrote: »

True but I would take it that he was going to do that in self defense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Since the Brazil video is a critical mass cycle it might be worth showing that its not just South America that has crazy people at these events....North America does do as proven by this NYC video with a cop randomly attacks one cyclist out of a massive crowd

Cabaal wrote: »
    Since the Brazil video is a critical mass cycle it might be worth showing that its not just South America that has crazy people at these events....North America does do as proven by this NYC video with a cop randomly attacks one cyclist out of a massive crowd

Kinda shocking that the officer didn't get any jail time, community service or anything as a result of his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Anyone have an opinion on the legitmacy of these Critical Mass events?

To me they seem a little provocative and ultimately do more harm than good to the cycling "cause".

I know one or two of these events have been organised in Dublin but from what I saw they seemed to be very 'hipster' affairs.

Surely there are more constructive ways of promoting cycling than taking over the streets, pissing off motorists and enjoying the whiff of your own farts (South Park Reference).

By the way, I don't in any way condone the harvesting of cyclists as seen in the original video, that was completely wrong. I just think the Critical Mass idea is questionable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Moflojo wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on the legitmacy of these Critical Mass events?

They are entirely legitimate. They are legal and the protestors have as much right to be there as the assorted collection of nutbags who hang around O'Connell Street every Saturday.

You may not think they are a very good idea, but that is a completely different question. There's no equivalence between annoying behaviour and attempted murder.

None of this would happen if everybody drove cars :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

He was going to swing it at the car I thought.

It looked to me like the driver was kicking his bike so the cyclist swung it upwards out of reach from the driver's legs.

It's hard to believe that someone would go so mental because the vehicle in front of them stopped on yellow. I presume a yellow traffic light in the US means much the same thing as amber lights on this side of the Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

They are entirely legitimate. They are [snip] the assorted collection of nutbags who hang around O'Connell Street every Saturday.

Fixed your post ;)

Advertisement