Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea V Manchester United (Tuesday 1st March K.O 19.45 SS2)

• 28-02-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

0,,12306~3324947,00.gif0,,12306~8880162,00.pngV0,,12306~3325032,00.gif0,,12306~8912165,00.png
    TEAM NEWS

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is likely to keep faith with a 4-4-2 formation against Manchester United.

Fit-again defender Yury Zhirkov could make his first league appearance since November after coming on as a substitute in the last two cup games.

Manchester United pair Ryan Giggs and Michael Owen should return from respective hamstring and groin injuries.

Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans are not expected to be fit until the weekend.

Chelsea

Injured: Alex (knee), Benayoun (Achilles)

Manchester United

Doubtful: Giggs (hamstring), Owen (groin)

Injured: Anderson (knee), Evans & Valencia (both ankle), Ferdinand (calf), Park (hamstring)

Prediction; 1-1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Cmon the blues.Hopefully the wonderboy rooney will be banned after his disgraceful behaviour on saturday against wigan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Massive game for both clubs.

United need at least 4 points from the next two games, not bothered about which order we could get them in!

As for the team line up... don't really know to be honest.

I reckon it will be 451.

VDS in goals, obviously. Evra, Vidic and Smalling in defence. Would go with Raf at RB but he has missed the last couple of games so Fergie may stick with O'Shea.

Nani, Scholes, Fletcher and Carrick as 4 of the midfield 5, then it is either Giggs or Rooney on the wing, Giggs if he is fit.

Up front, it is obviously a choice between Rooney, Berbatov and Chico. My money will be on Rooney to start, but it should really be either Chico or Berbatov, with Berbatov getting my vote.

Nani and Chico, starting or not, will be the danger men for United. Nani as he is the only real consistent threat we have. Chico's pace will be made use of at some point in the game, imo, and that could be key for United.

My predication is for a 1-1 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Colinboy wrote: »
    Cmon the blues.Hopefully the wonderboy rooney will be banned after his disgraceful behaviour on saturday against wigan!

Are you stupid? Rooney has been playing muck and Hernandez/Berbatov are in great form.

It's pathetic statements like this that makes you wonder do certain 'fans' even watch football matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

handy three points, bring it on.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Are you stupid? Rooney has been playing muck and Hernandez/Berbatov are in great form.

It's pathetic statements like this that makes you wonder do certain 'fans' even watch football matches.

Steady on Soccer4life.. No need for the abuse.. I'd be delighted if Rooney didnt play too as an Arsenal fan, Rooney is starting to regain his form of late, so you may want to ask your own question of yourself? Do you watch football? Anyway the thug Rooney should get a ban for that blatant elbow but alas he will not as it wont be in the refs report and he saw the incident. Shocking refereeing to allow Rooney stay on the pitch after that. Full respect to McCarthy as well for not diving to the ground.

• Advertisement

I bet you i watch alot more matches than you my friend so dont call me stupid as you dont even know me.
    As for rooney not being in great playing form recently he is still a world class player that can pull an amazing goal out of the bag like the one against Mancity a few weeks ago so thats why i would be glad if he wasnt playing tomorrow night!:rolleyes:

Steady on Soccer4life.. No need for the abuse.. I'd be delighted if Rooney didnt play too as an Arsenal fan, Rooney is starting to regain his form of late, so you may want to ask your own question of yourself? Do you watch football? Anyway the thug Rooney should get a ban for that blatant elbow but alas he will not as it wont be in the refs report and he saw the incident. Shocking refereeing to allow Rooney stay on the pitch after that. Full respect to McCarthy as well for not diving to the ground.

What?

He was generally poor vs City, terrible vs Crawley, poor vs Marseille and poor again vs Wigan. Where is this.... 'form' you speak of? Good enough vs Villa though.

I actually don't fancy any of the United forward vs Chelsea.

Rooney is terrible at the moment.
    Berbatov isn't doing much himself - he has been very quiet over the last number of games. Never really does well in a 451 at United either, becomes to isolated and thus very frustrated - not a channel runner.
    Hernandez isn't ready for that type of role yet, imo. His link play is not good enough yet for me. Passes are too loose. We'd need more support from the midfield that we are likely to get in order to get the best out of him (same with Berbatov)

I bet you i watch alot more matches than you my friend so dont call me stupid as you dont even know me.
    As for rooney not being in great playing form recently he is still a world class player that can pull an amazing goal out of the bag like the one against Mancity a few weeks ago so thats why i would be glad if he wasnt playing tomorrow night!:rolleyes:

I never called you stupid, I was careful to ask you the question. But seeing as you didn't recognise that, I'll draw my own conclusions.

As for Rooney pulling an amazing goal out of the bag, Berbatov has the ability to do likewise, probably even more so because he is more technically gifted. And If both are available, I'm sure only one will play up front, probably Rooney.

So you accuse me of abuse for asking a question and then you call Rooney a thug?

Yeah, that makes sense.;)

I never called you stupid, I was careful to ask you the question. But seeing as you didn't recognise that, I'll draw my own conclusions.

As for Rooney pulling an amazing goal out of the bag, Berbatov has the ability to do likewise, probably even more so because he is more technically gifted. And If both are available, I'm sure only one will play up front, probably Rooney.

You ask me am i stupid or call me stupid.............Same horse different jockey :rolleyes:;)

Il draw my own conclusions also on your football knowledge as the last time i checked "GOALS" win football matches so as you keep saying Rooney is playing terrible he is still scoring goals.Did he not score on sat against wigan?

• Advertisement

So you accuse me of abuse for asking a question and then you call Rooney a thug?

Video evidence of saturdays game clearly shows rooney elbowing James McCarthy off the ball.If thats not thuggery of the highest order then i dont know what is!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Did he not score on sat against wigan?
    In all fairness after the great work from Berbatov I could have scored that goal myself.

I think it is Rooney's general contribution that is improving. His through ball for Hernandez second shows that he is getting some level of form back, but saying that he is nowhere near as good as he was last year (or the year before).
    Not that I would like to se him banned (but he should be banned, what he did was disgraceful) but I would rather United started with Berba and Hernandez up front. I think that would trouble the Chelsea back 4 more than Berba on his own with Rooney left and Nani right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Very hard to call. I think Utd would take a draw here given their record against Chelsea recently. Chelsea keep on looking like they might have turned the corner only to turn back again. Torres and Rooney both look shadows of their former selves so I think Malouda and Nani are the key players in this game. Whichever plays the best, their team will win.
    0-0

He is a thug, if you were'nt a united fan, you'd agree kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We need a bit of luck in this game,Chelsea have had the rub of the green lately against us.Blind linesmen don't help either.
    Chelsea believed they dodged a bullet by rearranging the game due to the weather but their form hasn't improved,even so they'll be up for this one so I hope our away form improves.Even against Wigan we were ordinary in the 1st half and better finishing from Wigan coupled with VDS making great saves could have seen another result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

An example of shocking refereeing would be how Arsenal got it all their own away against Birmingham last night, including one blatant penalty decision and another on the edge of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I will be hoping for Torres to "rape" Vidic again. Ill take a draw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I don't think Rooney's a thug more of an idiot at times.

I thought Rooney played relatively well against Wigan... scored one and set one up too

What?

He was generally poor vs City, terrible vs Crawley, poor vs Marseille and poor again vs Wigan. Where is this.... 'form' you speak of? Good enough vs Villa though.

I actually don't fancy any of the United forward vs Chelsea.

Rooney is terrible at the moment.
    Berbatov isn't doing much himself - he has been very quiet over the last number of games. Never really does well in a 451 at United either, becomes to isolated and thus very frustrated - not a channel runner.
    Hernandez isn't ready for that type of role yet, imo. His link play is not good enough yet for me. Passes are too loose. We'd need more support from the midfield that we are likely to get in order to get the best out of him (same with Berbatov)

I said he is regaining his form, not that he has regained it. 2 goals and an assist against Villa, goal of the season vs City, A goal and an assist against Wigan in his last 4 league games. He only played a half against Crawley town and yer whole team were bad that day. So yes he is regaining his form. A striker must be judged on their goals and assists. His recent form is therefore improving..

An example of shocking refereeing would be how Arsenal got it all their own away against Birmingham last night, including one blatant penalty decision and another on the edge of the box.

Sorry what does the Arsenal game have to do with it. Yes that should have been a penalty, but you're getting away from the issue. It doesn't excuse the fact the Rooney should have walked for his thugish behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FA not to charge Rooney over the incident against Wigan. :)

zerks wrote: »
    FA not to charge Rooney over the incident against Wigan. :)

Justice done.

You can't go around changing the rules just because it's Wayne Rooney.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

If Chelsea play 4-4-2 again, right wing area will be an issue. Ramires will keep tucking inside leaving huge gaps on the right.

Naturally Bosingwa should be able to exploit this space, but he was so slow doing anything with the ball against Copenhagen that I'd go for Ivanovic at RB.

Huge games needed from Essien and Lampard. I have a feeling United will boss the midfield.

I'm going for a draw. Not good enough for us, but I can't see us getting 3 points here.

I have a feeling United will boss the midfield.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Based on the performances this season....

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The United midfield couldn't boss Crawley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Justice done.

You can't go around changing the rules just because it's Wayne Rooney.

If justice was to be done they would change the rules to make sure crap like that does get punished, no matter who the player involved is. Teams should be able to cite players for violence like that, it shouldn't matter whether the referee thinks he saw it. If the referee doesn't apply the appropriate punishment then the FA should.

Predalien wrote: »
    If justice was to be done they would change the rules to make sure crap like that does get punished, no matter who the player involved is. Teams should be able to cite players for violence like that, it shouldn't matter whether the referee thinks he saw it. If the referee doesn't apply the appropriate punishment then the FA should.

Agreed (to an extent) but you can't (imo) going changing rules and procedures like this mid-season as that would be completely unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

This is true, but there is a time to fix these problems. You can't go move the goalposts mid-season just because its Wayne Rooney.

Agreed (to an extent) but you can't (imo) going changing rules and procedures like this mid-season as that would be completely unfair.

Agreed, but you can't change the rule just because it's Wayne Ronney involved.
    It should be changed independent of any such incident. Don't see them changing it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Well they have to change them at some point. It would be no harm to set a precedent and that's most likely to happen when it's an incident involving a high profile player. This would in a way be unfair, as yes the rules would be changing, but overall would be good for the game. I think it's far more unfair that Rooney and others before him get away with serious assaults on fellow professionals.

• Advertisement

Well they have to change them at some point.

Obviously the best time to change rules is post/pre-season. Anything else is just stupid and unfair on the teams negatively effected (whether the actual rulings in those cases are correct or not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Im predicting a Chelsea win and I am staying away from this thread until im proven right ;)

or wrong :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I suppose if our big names bother to turn up we should be able to win, they haven't bothered to turn up too often this season though, I'm not confident at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Fancy a draw or United win.

1-1 written all over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'm not one for predictions in these important games, but I am quite confident, I wouldn't be disappointed with a draw, but obviously I'd love a win and I think we're capable of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I don't know if United can win this game but I am very confident that they won't lose it.
    Chelsea will be far superior in the middle of the pitch. Our CB pairing have to be on top form. All Uniteds play will be out on the wings, this is where United should win the battle, if Nani and Giggs are on form tomorrow I see us causing them big problems and with Hernandez surely featuring at some stage, it will be very interesting.
    1-1 or 1-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Interesting to see the odds for this game, personally think if anyone will win it will be Chelsea, would back a draw though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lads i hear this is in danger of being called off. The weather for tomorrow night is going to be the mildest of it's kind ever so things not looking too good.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Lads i hear this is in danger of being called off. The weather for tomorrow night is going to be the mildest of it's kind ever so things not looking too good.

What are you? 12? :confused:

Essien wrote: »

Lighten up chap, it was a joke.

• Advertisement

Lighten up chap, it was a joke.
    Consider me lightened up. We'll leave it at that :)

Pretty lame joke tbh

Consider me lightened up. We'll leave it at that :)

I will, but expect no love lost tomorrow night;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Pretty lame joke tbh
    I'm sure that lordgoat is sorry that it does not fit your criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As an Arsenal fan, anything other than a win for utd would be greatly appreciated. Hoping Chelsea dont give Rooney too much elbow room.

At least 12, currently 15 but hopefully 18 after the match tomorrow night.

Pretty lame joke tbh

Was my second one better or worse? ^^
    keano_afc wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan, anything other than a win for utd would be greatly appreciated. Hoping Chelsea dont give Rooney too much elbow room.

He doesn't need much. About the same amount as an Arsenal goalie/CB to make a fuc-k up! ;)

lordgoat wrote: »
    At least 12, currently 15 but hopefully 18 after the match tomorrow night.

Ya know what, as soon as I hit submit I thought.......Bollox!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He is a thug, if you were'nt a united fan, you'd agree kid

I'm a United fan and I'd say that what Rooney did on saturday was thuggish, I don't think he's a proper full on thug.
    I know he's had his moments but he's a far way from the likes of Joey Barton and John Terry.

Glazers Out!

Ya know what, as soon as I hit submit I thought.......Bollox!!:pac:

I was actually thinking - someone's going to beat me to it. must type faster.

Anyways - Hoping for a decent match. Actually screw that i'd love a horrible dull scrappy affair with a 0-1 united win. So long as there are no controversial/incorrect decisions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement