Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea V Manchester United (Tuesday 1st March K.O 19.45 SS2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

jebidiah wrote: »
    up to my neck in study, genuinely interested in how torres got on??
    did he play? did he skin vidic?
    Very poor yet again. Fantastic form for Liverpool in his early years is looking less and less like the norm. His present form looks like the norm tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Was expecting the see the usual variety of "we were robbed, everyone is again us" and "it's about time ONE decision went again United" type posts. Truth is, like all teams some decisions go United's way and others don't. Tonight was one of the nights where United did not get the rub of the green. United suffered tonight from one very poor decision, a few dodgy ones and the penalty is debatable.

Also, I think SAF will be annoyed United didn't take advantage of their superiority in the first half and get another goal.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Bravo, I was really proved wrong when my prediction of Gery Neville throwing the ball into the net in stoppage time blew up in my face! Boy oh boy how do I face up to that one!

Also, Seinfeld was shít!
    :pac: Love it. Deep breaths, deep breaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Bravo, I was really proved wrong when my prediction of Gery Neville throwing the ball into the net in stoppage time blew up in my face! Boy oh boy how do I face up to that one!

Also, Seinfeld was shít!

Let me guess, a two and a half men fan yeh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

allybhoy wrote: »

Let me guess, a two and a half men fan yeh?

Good God no, that's putrid shíte.

Arrested Development ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

9 years and still counting, I think they call it

_51468494_guard2005.jpg

10 May, 2005: Manchester United form a guard of honour for champions Chelsea at Old Trafford before going on to lose 3-1 to a side completely invigorated by new Portuguese coach Jose Mourinho

That would be funnier if A) Chelsea didn't have to do the same thing for United a year later and B)United hadn't won more leagues than Chelsea in those nine and half years.

Is a little bit of reason too much to ask for on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

murpho999 wrote: »
    How come Taggart insists Luiz should have been sent off (which he should have!) and then becomes Wenger regarding Vidic incident.

Think he might be in trouble for 'he referees every week' comment!

How come Ancelloti didnt think Luiz should of been sent off when it was much more obvious after his consistant manhandling of the united forwards, then Vidics petulant tug.

At least fergie didnt say Vidic didnt deserve his red . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Vidic was immense for Man U, without him chelsea would have scored earlier, you missed Ferdy big time, Nani went missing second half.
    For us Malouda was his usual poor self, Ramires really needs to bulk up.
    I thought Torres played well, made some great runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Referee was poor no doubt but not going to argue that case all night. "United get all the decisions" - I've heard that enough times on this forum. Given this game and last years, that myth can be put to bed.

We looked as if we never came out of the dressing room in the second half at all and bar a few good performers, collectively we were asleep for most the half.

The Liverpool game is a major major game now. We need to pull it together before Sunday minus Vidic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Out muscled yes to the point that when the Chelsea defence came out for the ball they mostly looked to play the man and not the ball imo, pretty dirty game by Chelsea and the ref let them away with murder.(yes yes, Rooney rabble rabble rabble..it's irrelevant this is the Cheslea v United Match thread right? Lets stick to this game)

Ivanovich got away with murder on Nani, each time Nani got passed him you could see his arm reach for the back of his shirt.

First goal was weak but lets not forget, Malouda missed a pretty good chance early on, poor defending aside Chelsea deserved that equaliser. Great finish too...

The Peno, the rule book doesn't lie it was a Peno a very weak one that some refs on another night may have overlooked, but you can't fault the ref there. I did however particularly dislike the air of smugness about him when he confirmed it was a peno to the utd players, almost with a grin of satisfaction on his face I might add!

That's the nature of the game, sometimes everything goes your way and others it doesn't, so shrug... time to soldier on and concentrate on the trip to Merseyside.

Lads give Chelsea and their supporters this night on a whole they deserve it after all they've been through and besides this could well end up being the highlight of their season :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

papagormo wrote: »
    Game is going to start off with end to end play, Chelsea will concede an early goal thanks to Nani. Game will settle down, Chelsea will begin to press. An equaliser will come in the secnd half from Anelka, tempo picks up, both teams go for it.
    93rd minute, Chelsea win a corner. Torres for the header, Contro decision to allow the goal as he seemed to foul Vidic, but the goal stands.
    Boom
    2-1 it finishes.

Well...I got the jist of the game right, they score in first half, we score in the second, and win late on. and something happens to Vidic.
    2-1 it finished.
    boom

Poor old Alex Ferguson. He's such a gentle old man and he just can't catch a break. My heart bleeds. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Well the table makes for sad reading this evening. Wait a minute, we are still top 4 clear... silver lining and all that i suppose :)

Man Utd 28 35 60
    Arsenal 27 30 56
    Man City 28 19 50
    Chelsea 27 25 48
    Tottenham 27 7 47
    Liverpool 28 1 39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    Wow, Ferguson being a bit of a hypocrite.

Unbelievable, isn't it?

I like to watch Manchester United and have nothing but respect for them as a club and Ferguson as a manager, however, when a decision goes against him then it's the worst thing ever and when he gets one (such as Rooney getting away with that elbow) then it's ''just the way it goes'' or something like that.

The standard of refereeing in the Premier League has long been a joke but because those joke decisions were affecting smaller clubs such as the two we support for example, nothing is/was ever done about it and it was put down to ''one of those things'' or the old chestnut that ''those decisions even themselves out over the course of a season'' was rolled out.

Perhaps now that Manchester United have been wrongly done by a poor decision The FA will consider doing something about the standard of refereeing.

Good God no, that's putrid shíte.

Arrested Development ftw.

Just enjoying that now . . Never saw it originally when it aired, watching it from start. . Quality show . . Better then the Sh*t united just served me there ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Samba wrote: »
    Out muscled yes to the point that when the Chelsea defence came out for the ball they mostly looked to play the man and not the ball imo, pretty dirty game by Chelsea and the ref let them away with murder.(yes yes, Rooney rabble rabble rabble..it's irrelevant this is the Cheslea v United Match thread right? Lets stick to this game)

Ivanovich got away with murder on Nani, each time Nani got passed him you could see his arm reach for the back of his shirt.

First goal was weak but lets not forget, Malouda missed a pretty good chance early on, poor defending aside Chelsea deserved that equaliser. Great finish too...

The Peno, the rule book doesn't lie it was a Peno a very weak one that some refs on another night may have overlooked, but you can't fault the ref there. I did however particularly dislike the air of smugness about him when he confirmed it was a peno to the utd players, almost with a grin of satisfaction on his face I might add!

That's the nature of the game, sometimes everything goes your way and others it doesn't, so shrug... time to soldier on and concentrate on the trip to Merseyside.

Lads give Chelsea and their supporters this night on a whole they deserve it after all they've been through and besides this could well end up being the highlight of their season :pac:

And Liverpools fans too judging by the posts at the moment!!!!

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Well the table makes for sad reading this evening. Wait a minute, we are still top 4 clear... silver lining and all that i suppose :)

Man Utd 28 35 60
    Arsenal 27 30 56
    Man City 28 19 50
    Chelsea 27 25 48
    Tottenham 27 7 47
    Liverpool 28 1 39

Potentially only one point ahead of Arsenal, with Liverpool and Arsenal away and Chelsea at home ! :(

I am not so confident considering the way we imploded against a very poor chelsea team. And nobody showed any sort of character or leadership.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rooney hit the deck at every chance tonight , himself and Nani looked like they were competing for an Olympic diving medal, have not had that much fun at the bridge in the long time.

We were so poor in the first half we made a poor Man U side look good , nearly makes a terrible season bearable does that result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Vidic was immense for Man U, without him chelsea would have scored earlier, you missed Ferdy big time, Nani went missing second half.
    For us Malouda was his usual poor self, Ramires really needs to bulk up.
    I thought Torres played well, made some great runs

Thought Smalling played well enough not to miss Rio,Chelsea were the better team 2nd half for sure though.Can't really single Nani in the 2nd half either, United 2nd half were typical of United away all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

In a nutshell, the ref wasn't up to much but this sort of thing happens. It came down to that and the fact that their subs worked while ours did not, taking scholes off instead of carrick or fletcher was madness.

• Advertisement

Samba wrote: »

On a personal level, one of this seasons highlight game for me was the second game against Sunderland. They absolutely handed our rear ends to us the first time we met them earlier on in the season. By the time we met them the second time round, I wasn't expecting the performance we put in. One of Anelka's best game in a Blue shirt, and of course twas nice to beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ferguson thought his team played well .He got that one third right .
    They played well up until they scored ,then they went back to the usual cautious away form that has been par for the course this season.
    Fletcher deserted his role down the right hand side in the second half ,he was useless in the second half .
    Utd were simply outmuscled ,alot of the time unfairly .
    Luiz was lucky not to be booked 4 times and Ivanovic should have picked up a couple as well .
    The penalty was soft ,Zhirkov went down like a sack of spuds .You'd be lucky to get a free for that outside the box not to mind inside it.

On a side note I never thought I'd say this but give me Keys and Gray back anyday over the insipid ,banal and retarded punditry on Sky tonight .
    Redknapp and Ray Wilkins.Dear God .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I didn't see the post match interview but was SAF asked about the Rooney elbow? Genuine question, I'm sure he was [rightly fuming] about the Luiz challenge, he should have got his second yellow for the Rooney block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

papagormo wrote: »
    On a personal level, one of this seasons highlight game for me was the second game against Sunderland. They absolutely handed our rear ends to us the first time we met them earlier on in the season. By the time we met them the second time round, I wasn't expecting the performance we put in. One of Anelka's best game in a Blue shirt, and of course twas nice to beat them.

You were superb that night. For about 10 minutes we did well (:D) but in all honesty as soon as Lampard scored the penalty you controlled the game and our lads couldn't get near the ball.

Bramble was doing a webchat today on the club website and asked who his most difficult opponent was he said Anelka in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

On a side note I never thought I'd say this but give me Keys and Gray back anyday over the insipid ,banal and retarded punditry on Sky tonight .

Wilkins is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I only got to see the last 20 minutes so I can't give a full comment on the game, but I thought:
    Penalty was soft, but they are often given and Smalling showed some inexperience there and hopefully he'll learn from it.
    Chelsea were hackers tonight.
    Luiz should've been off.
    Vidic is an idiot, I didn't see much in it but she shouldn't have put himself in that position.
    Chelsea were completely dominant for the last 20 minutes.
    Berbatov is no use as a sub.

Also, some posters are coming off incredibly childish, from both sides of the argument.

A win will be tough to come by on Sunday I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ferguson thought his team played well .He got that one third right .
    They played well up until they scored ,then they went back to the usual cautious away form that has been par for the course this season.
    Fletcher deserted his role down the right hand side in the second half ,he was useless in the second half .
    Utd were simply outmuscled ,alot of the time unfairly .
    Luiz was lucky not to be booked 4 times and Ivanovic should have picked up a couple as well .
    The penalty was soft ,Zhirkov went down like a sack of spuds .You'd be lucky to get a free for that outside the box not to mind inside it.

I agree 100%

Gutted at Uniteds second half performance
    Vidic missing v Liverpool, no questions it was a red card
    Luiz should have been red carded for sure
    Peno, I'm not sure really...was soft alright

But you missed one point. Michael Carricks lack of fight and grit tonight was shocking. He's gone down hill rapidly the last 18-24months. Time he got shifted out of the club.
    spiralism wrote: »
    In a nutshell, the ref wasn't up to much but this sort of thing happens. It came down to that and the fact that their subs worked while ours did not, taking scholes off instead of carrick or fletcher was madness.

We (United) got the rub of the green against West Brom, Wigan and Blackpool (all away). We were robbed vs Birmingham and Chelsea had a few decisions that went their way.

Tit for Tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheaters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

Just back from the local, brilliant game all round. Was cheering on Chelsea (very much in the minority), hoped Torres would've stepped up to take the peno:D. Thought David Luiz was exceptional, he's some player! On that basis he shouldn't lose his place to Alex when he returns. Strange one team having three world class CBs along with Ivanovic to back them up, and not to mention Cashley and Boswinga! Embarassment of riches tbh. Was delighted with Vidic's sending off, Torres obviously has some psychological effect over him at this stage. And speaking of Torres he had a very good game tonight, ran the channels well and that tackle on Scholes was sweeeeeeeet! Pity he didn't get on the scoresheet. Anyways, well done Chelsea, hopefully now they can push on and be team we all know they can be. Hopefully themselves and Spurs will push City out of the last CL place.

• Advertisement

Just back from the local, brilliant game all round. Was cheering on Chelsea (very much in the minority), hoped Torres would've stepped up to take the peno:D. Thought David Luiz was exceptional, he's some player! On that basis he shouldn't lose his place to Alex when he returns. Strange one team having three world class CBs along with Ivanovic to back them up, and not to mention Cashley and Boswinga! Embarassment of riches tbh. Was delighted with Vidic's sending off, Torres obviously has some psychological effect over him at this stage. And speaking of Torres he had a very good game tonight, ran the channels well and that tackle on Scholes was sweeeeeeeet! Pity he didn't get on the scoresheet. Anyways, well done Chelsea, hopefully now they can push on and be team we all know they can be. Hopefully themselves and Spurs will push City out of the last CL place.

WTF are you on about?:confused:
    Torres had one good game against Vidic, Vidic has kept him quiet in the last few games between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dave! wrote: »
    Cheaters

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Two things. Torres wasn't on the pitch when the peno was awarded. He also wasn't on the pitch when Vidic was sent off so hardly had a psychological effect on Vidic as you claim.

Trilla wrote: »
    But you missed one point. Michael Carricks lack of fight and grit tonight was shocking. He's gone down hill rapidly the last 18-24months. Time he got shifted out of the club.

I didnt mention it because Carricks poor performances are taken for granted these days.
    He was poor again tonight.
    He was primarily bought by Ferguson as a creative midfielder ,I dont know what to categorise him as now.
    He rarely gets forward on the ball ,he looks lethargic,his passing is poor ,he rarely takes a shot and he has almost zerop physical presence.
    He basically just sits in front of the back four and plays basic balls or else runs around like a headless twit.

Johner wrote: »
    Wilkins is good.

"Yes thats right Jamie"
    "No I agree with you Ray, absolutely"
    :::::
    Everybody cheesey grin now!
    I didnt mention it because Carricks poor performances are taken for granted these days.
    He was primarily bought by Ferguson as a creative midfielder ,I dont know what to categorise him as now.
    He rarely gets forward on the ball ,he looks lethargic,his passing is poor ,he rarely takes a shot and he has almost zerop physical presence.
    He basically just sits in front of the back four and plays basic balls or else runs around like a headless twit.

Not just his performances, his what John Giles would say "honesty of effort"

My 70 year old Dad would have ran more than he did tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

adox wrote: »
    Two things. Torres wasn't on the pitch when the peno was awarded. He also wasn't on the pitch when Vidic was sent off so hardly had a psychological effect on Vidic as you claim.

Did Torres not play the whole game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

thats when he is playing well.

Was he getting treatment or something on the sidelines? I didn't see him going off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Did Torres not play the whole game?

Ha yes he did, it was Anelka that came off.
    Apologies to the last poster I quoted. My despair at losing is abviously affecting my memory. :o

Dave! wrote: »
    Cheaters

Ferguson1_2565262.jpg
    "You're talking about what changed the game in the second half and these decisions changed the game, and he's going to be refereeing every week."
    Sir Alex Ferguson

speaking early, conveniently forgetting:

Blackpool (peano not given)
    Wigan (Rooney elbow)
    West Brum (peno not given)

and probably a good few others.

Trilla wrote: »
    "Yes thats right Jamie"
    "No I agree with you Ray, absolutely"
    Everybody cheesey grin now!

Lol.
    Wilkins had his Chelsea jersey on under his suit .:)
    He is like a Tony the Tiger ambassador for the EPL or English players,they are all Greeeeeeeaaaaaat !
    Had to laugh at Jamie waffling on at half time saying Rooney had one of the best shots in world football to which the presenter retorted that Rooney hadnt scored a goal outside the box in 3 years .:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

baz2009 wrote: »
    I only got to see the last 20 minutes so I can't give a full comment on the game, but I thought:
    Penalty was soft, but they are often given and Smalling showed some inexperience there and hopefully he'll learn from it.
    Chelsea were hackers tonight.
    Luiz should've been off.
    Vidic is an idiot, I didn't see much in it but she shouldn't have put himself in that position.
    Chelsea were completely dominant for the last 20 minutes.
    Berbatov is no use as a sub.

Also, some posters are coming off incredibly childish, from both sides of the argument.

A win will be tough to come by on Sunday I think.

Your right in nearly everything you say. I'll add a couple of points, thought United played really well tonight. Unlucky with the penalty decision but what do they say, these things balance out over the course of the season. It's not that big a worry for United though, coz if Chelsea were where Arsenal are in the league they would be in trouble. Alas they are not & I can see ye gettin a positive result on Sunday. As much as Id prefer otherwise. Arsenal are a weak side without Van Persie. The next few weeks will prove it

Ferguson1_2565262.jpg
    "You're talking about what changed the game in the second half and these decisions changed the game, and he's going to be refereeing every week."
    Sir Alex Ferguson

speaking early, conveniently forgetting:

Blackpool (peano not given)
    Wigan (Rooney elbow)
    West Brum (peno not given)

and probably a good few others.

Love that word.

Paully D wrote: »
    Perhaps now that Manchester United have been wrongly done by a poor decision The FA will consider doing something about the standard of refereeing.

Nothing was done last season with the Terry goal.
    Nothing was done this season with the Birmingham Zigic/Bowyer goal.

Look, All if not most managers do it. Why cant you think of a few other managers that have done it a couple of times? Because theres only a few that have been around the block even a 1/4 of the time Fergie has at the top level.

Its the same reasoning that you think they get the rub of the green more that it gets highlighted more for United. Its because they are a big club. A successful club. Like Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Wenger gets criticized every time he says "I didn't see it, I'll look again". He's not the first or last manager to say this a few times.

The bigger the team/game, the bigger everything gets blown up. Simple as.

Love that word.

Love this picture

_51481401_lampard_goal.jpg

WTF are you on about?:confused:
    Torres had one good game against Vidic, Vidic has kept him quiet in the last few games between them.

One good game against Vidic??? Take off the spectacles son, this one's as clear cut as they get. Have yet to see Vidic handle Torres when he's played halfway decent.

Love this picture

I love you Sgt Pepper, you sexy beast

Love this picture

I'll give you a 5/10 for your attempt.;)
    Picture looks a littleunbalanced to me, tbh. Maybe another Chelsea player on Lampard's right hand side would balance it out a bit more.

And I love toast

He had him rattled since he walked out the tunnel sure, clearly you don't understand the word 'psychological'.

I'll give you a 5/10 for your attempt.;)
    Picture looks a littleunbalanced to me, tbh. Maybe another Chelsea player on Lampard's right hand side would balance it out a bit more.

Whats that called, rule of thirds or something?

Anyway back on to the game. Chelsea deserved at least a draw. If anyone had to win it, it should have been them...so no complaints on that account.

Makes things more exciting thats for sure

• Advertisement
Advertisement