Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea V Manchester United (Tuesday 1st March K.O 19.45 SS2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

adox wrote: »
    Childish I know but it's late. :D

Very creative. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Grayditch wrote: »
    Haha, people need to stop getting hung up on the orphan comment, it was for identification purposes, I'm sure he's a lovely fella.

Call it a night dude I think, the thread is ruined.

One thing Wilkins got right tonight...what a league run in this is.
    barryd09 wrote: »
    bitter id imagine.

on another note,carrick tonight??

thought it was one of his better preformances in the last while.

HE WAS AWFUL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Very creative. :rolleyes:

More creative than "7m orphan flops"..

Orphan flops sounds likesomething you'd get in a posh restaurant.

This was United's best performance in a good while. Unfortunately the second half was one of Chelsea's. David Luiz cost half what Torres did and ends up doing Torres' job. Money well spent on one of them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

baz2009 wrote: »
    From what I saw of the game he didn't look great, but he may have played well in the first 70 minutes or so.

as i said,better than previous games but still not what he has played like in previous seasons.
    pretty decent distribution,last few weeks he couldnt complete a pass if his life depended on it.
    another plus point tonight,chris ****ing smalling.hes getting better and better every game,really pleased with his progress.
    pity vidic didnt get that 2nd yellow card for something a bit more worthwhile like nailing drogba,or torres.
    Trilla wrote: »

One thing Wilkins got right tonight...what a league run in this is.

yup,indeed and providing arsenal win their game in hand,it'll be an exciting few weeks ahead.

This was United's best performance in a good while. Unfortunately the second half was one of Chelsea's. David Luiz cost half what Torres did and ends up doing Torres' job. Money well spent on one of them anyway.

thats more like it Grayditch,no need for the OTT obvious trolling.

Ok, well I stand by the comments about Ferguson getting a taste.

Nani scoring would have sorted a fair few Fantasy Football problems for me, but the moment I started wishing for a United goal, with my luck, I knew they were out of it.

HE WAS AWFUL

HE WAS BETTER THAN OTHER RECENT GAMES.

HE WAS BETTER THAN OTHER RECENT GAMES.

Find it odd you think that, he's lack of effort and tracking back with intensity and want really pissed me off

Ok, well I stand by the comments about Ferguson getting a taste.

sound,fair enough.
    i know if he wasnt our manager id hate him too.

• Advertisement

Find it odd you think that, he's lack of effort and tracking back with intensity and want really pissed me off

he completed passes,something he hasnt done with great conviction in a while,its a start.
    im no carrick fan as such,i just think tonight he was better than previous games.
    badly need a new midfielder at united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

/Mod hat on

Ladies and Gents,

Please calm it down a bit, a lot of infracting tonight and I would rather not have to get up in the morning and do it all again. So, on topic and cut the abuse out ta.

Strange as it sounds, we do not like to have to infract and then ban people.

Thanks,

Thanx

/Mod hat off

lol understood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Can I have my fish back?

Definite apologies about the choice of words. I do actually wish that lad the best... with any other club ;)

he completed passes,something he hasnt done with great conviction in a while,its a start.
    im no carrick fan as such,i just think tonight he was better than previous games.
    badly need a new midfielder at united.

Do others agree? I don't sorry :), and I was a Carrick fan 2 or 3 years ago.

Just curious if I'm being over critical or do people agree with me on this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I thought he did quite well in the first half(by his recent standards) but went missing in the second, although he wasn't alone in that. I thought Fletcher was a lot worse than Carrick tonight.

Having said that, in the summer, keep Fletch get rid of Carrick.

adox wrote: »
    I thought he did quite well in the first half(by his recent standards) but went missing in the second, although he wasn't alone in that. I thought Fletcher was a lot worse than Carrick tonight.

Having said that, in the summer, keep Fletch get rid of Carrick.

this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

firstly....Johner, get your own gimmick ;):D:p

anyway, great game.

shít ref.

it doesn't cover up Utd's shíte second half performance, or the fact Chelsea upped their game considerably.

i think it's now official...the Premier League title race...

onkong.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I haven't read this thread at all. I've just finished watching the match. Had it recorded cos i was at the Pat's match, so i'm looking forward to an hilarious read.

Overall, i thought Chelsea deserved the win, they were the better team on the night. Vidic is a clown for getting sent off knowing he's on a yellow. He's a good defender, but he gets caught out a lot like that and ends up making rash decisions!!

Krusty the Clown staying on the pitch is the greatest joke of them all. Taking Rooney out of it was laughable and not getting booked?? Jaysus!!

The penalty, i thought, was a peno alright. Smalling was unlucky. He couldn't really do much about it.

Hopefully, Liverpool can take another three points from Utd, but even if we do, the league is still theirs. It's a poor one this season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

A normal Carrick performance. Good when United were good, disappeared once the opposition upped their game.

A normal Carrick performance. Good when United were good, disappeared once the opposition upped their game.

fair enough/accurate comment actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Carrick is great if he has

a} 10 yards of space
    b} an easy and open sideways 10 yard pass

or
    c} a backwards pass

When he's pressed or only has an opportunity to play the ball forward you can almost see him tensing up prior to striking the ball. He has a huge range of passing, but whatever is going on in his head is messing it up.

Chelsea were decent value for the win, it was a weak penalty to concede but we'll see Rooney/Berb/Nani do exactly the same thing at various points and we'll all want a penalty given.

Luiz should have walked, but again there'll be games where our defenders have similar games and we'll have the opposite view.

We should be good enough to win regardless, Chelsea played well and were far stronger/fitter/alert in the second half than we were. Too many opportunities wasted in the final 3rd imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

united get all the decisons ya? will we have a 3 day debate about atkinsons performance tonight from all the "neutrals".

united screwed over, once again, but i bet nobody will cry about. 3 games in a row, lost to chelsea due to enept reffing....

You're doing enough for the rest ;):D

Decent game, better match thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Just got back from the match there...

Few thoughts, a fairly cringe worthy thread all round but some Chelsea fans definitely need to take a few deep breaths and re-read their posts before they hit that 'submit reply', theres nothing wrong with a heated discussion but once you start attacking the other fans etc it's just gonna drag the thread down.

It was a fantastic game of football, definitely a great advertisment for the power and passion of the league. The ref made some mistakes without doubt. Luiz was very lucky to be on the pitch, but consider that United's goalscorer Rooney was lucky to be even available for selection. Penalty for me was a tad soft, but Smalling left his foot in and left the ref with little choice.

In the end though, these decisions balance out over the course of the season and I doubt this match will have little bearing on the over all destination of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Luiz should have been off 3 times, other than that, Chelsea probably deserved to win. I wonder if the media will mention much about Luiz's 2 or 3 off the ball fouls...

however that doesn't excuse United's toothless display after taking the lead, it was a massive chance to win and Berba should have started beside Rooney. Also Scholes has been poor the last few games and really needs to up his game to early season standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Great match thread.:D Can't wait for the weekend game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

will the media mention the Luis foul?

more like will they mention the disallowed goal in the first minute united fans are forgetting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I thought the match was good. Penalty was one of those that you wouldn't have been surprised if it wasn't given but it was a penalty. Zirkov was caught and he went down. Had he not have been caught he was 8 yards from goal clean through. You can be guaranteed if it was at the other end and not given Fergie would have been spitting bullets.

Cracking goals from both Rooney and Luiz and over all I thought Chelsea deserved it. They had the much better 2nd half.

Also Fergie complaining about Luiz on Rooney, please...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Liam O wrote: »
    Luiz should have been off 3 times, other than that, Chelsea probably deserved to win. I wonder if the media will mention much about Luiz's 2 or 3 off the ball fouls...

however that doesn't excuse United's toothless display after taking the lead, it was a massive chance to win and Berba should have started beside Rooney. Also Scholes has been poor the last few games and really needs to up his game to early season standards
    Are you joking? Hernandez was always a threat and made some great runs to make space for Rooney. When Berbatov came on there was hardly any threat going forward at all. Also, when Scholes came off we had no creativity in central midfield, Carrick and Fletcher? Rubbish! Sad thing is, we are relying on Scholes in midfield at the moment.

Think a draw would have been a fair result, we dominated the first half and Chelsea the second. We have to stop this habit of sitting back when we go a goal up though, I thought Chelsea were there for the taking after our goal.

Also thought the referee had it in for Rooney after what happened at the weekend. He was clobbered left right and centre last night and didn't get anything at all. Luiz should definately have been sent off at some point, and that was probably why he was taken off. His foul on Rooney was a definate second yellow, and his elbow on Hernandez was borderline straight red.

Think that was the FA's way of getting United and Rooney back after the Wigan game. Thought it was a penalty, all be it a very soft one.

Interesting stat for "Rowan" Atkinson. Refereed 15 Chelsea games. 14 wins, 1 draw, no losses for Chelsea. A stat worth looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

cournioni wrote: »
    Interesting stat for "Rowan" Atkinson. Refereed 15 Chelsea games. 14 wins, 1 draw, no losses for Chelsea. A stat worth looking at.

Whats the interesting stat there? Cheslea don't loose many games?

Chelsea have lost 23 games of football in the past 5 seasons. If you did the stats for any referee in England they probably wouldn't be a million miles away with a record like that. Get referee stats for most refs doing Man U games and they'd probably look similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

the letter of the law was applied on saturday against wigan,clattenburg dealt with the situation there and then,atkinson dealt with **** all.

He dealt with it by doing nothing? since when can you elbow someone and then just get a free kick given against you. Letter of the law is a straight red with a three match ban.

The FA dealt with it according to the letter of the law as they couldn't do anything unless the ref ignored the incident.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Howard Webb - 10 United games, 9 United wins, 5 penalties

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Are you joking? Hernandez was always a threat and made some great runs to make space for Rooney. When Berbatov came on there was hardly any threat going forward at all. Also, when Scholes came off we had no creativity in central midfield, Carrick and Fletcher? Rubbish! Sad thing is, we are relying on Scholes in midfield at the moment.

Think a draw would have been a fair result, we dominated the first half and Chelsea the second. We have to stop this habit of sitting back when we go a goal up though, I thought Chelsea were there for the taking after our goal.

Also thought the referee had it in for Rooney after what happened at the weekend. He was clobbered left right and centre last night and didn't get anything at all. Luiz should definately have been sent off at some point, and that was probably why he was taken off. His foul on Rooney was a definate second yellow, and his elbow on Hernandez was borderline straight red.

Think that was the FA's way of getting United and Rooney back after the Wigan game. Thought it was a penalty, all be it a very soft one.

You may not of seen it on TV but Rooney spent more time on the deck last night than standing up.

Anytime anyone brushed by him he was down again and then spent the next couple of minutes in the refs ear whinging about it, boy who cried wolf and all that , Luiz done him and should of went but the ref I think was fed up with his play acting the whole game.

Personally I think the ref had a bad game , booking Chelsea players at will, and was very restrained when showing cards to Man U men until the completely lost the head in the final few minutes but the Drog stood firm and took it all on the chin.

Vidic pulled Drogba down for the free just outside of the box to the right of the goal and was clearly the last man, dont hear too many giving out about that one.

Rooney plowed Terry in the back off the ball in the first half too.

Chelsea didnt play the first half but as soon as they did in the second it turned into a cracking encounter.

Chelsea are desperately in need of a wide man and I lost count the amount of
    passes we played backward our across the line when we really should of been attacking the space.

Smalling looks the real deal, solid most of the night and was unlucky on the peno , have seen them go either way.

Nani should of been booked for diving , at it all match.

Rameries was great , Essein slowed the ball down every time he got on it , Fat Frank still looks a bit out of shape and put in a good shift .

At first I was thinking Cech was poor for Rooneys goal but having seen it again it was a beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ref had a very poor game , not a pen imo, united should have had a pen for
    Terry's hand ball.

Roll on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

The Muppet wrote: »
    Terry's hand ball.

Roll on Sunday

What about torres disallowed goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Was this when the ref blew for a foul everyone stopped playing including the keeper and a Chelsea player finished off the chance albeit playing the game on his own :confused: Or something else...

What about it? There was some pulling of jerseys , ref gave a free out. VDS would have saved it but for the refs whistle IMO.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Chelsea were good value for the win last night.

Completely owned the second half, fought an awful harder than we did in midfield.

Essien had a massive game.

David Luiz was lucky not to go, but man he looks an awesome player.

We're going to have to show a lot more grit and determination over the next couple of months if we want to win the league, we were bossed last night with probably our strongest CM lineup on the pitch.

Meh it's a game of two halfs, we should have had more of a cushion at half time had we taken our chances.

Chelsea certainly edged the second half but they still needed a very dubious decision to win it, it was never a pen , Smallings feet were both on the ground when yer man fell over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

What about it? There was some pulling of jerseys , ref gave a free out. VDS would have saved it but for the refs whistle IMO.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda

Debate may rage on, but the 2-1 result stands.
    I'd be worrying about the trip to Anfield now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Originally Posted by cournioni
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Howard Webb - 10 United games, 9 United wins, 5 penalties

People posting these stats back and forth is so childish. On their own they are meaningless. All they prove is that good teams tend to win games, oh wow big shock. It is foolish to carry on bringing out these stats and claiming that certain referees are biased. United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc will win more games, get more penalties, get more corners, have more shots etc because they are better than the other teams. Poor decisions in their games will also be highlighted to a much greater degree than poor decisions in other games.

Some fans go on as if United get a penalty every game, which is clearly not the case. Same way the the "Fergie time" BS is mentioned whenever United score late, as if United are the only teams to score goals in injury time. Those same fans are not as loud about Fergie time when United are leading and the ref plays 4 or 5 minutes of injury time. Should they not add on the correct amount of additional time because United have scored late goals before?

I saw a stat a few days ago about penalties given since 2004 (dunno why they picked 2004, presumably it was a United fan trying to prove a point and they'd rather not include Ruud's penalties from 2003) and Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all have had more penalties. But that is just a quirk. Somebody has to get more penalties, so there will always be one team on top of that list. It doesn't mean anybody is biased. It doesn't mean anybody gets more decisions because of some cloak and dagger agreement. Everybody has decisions go for and against them.

Also (and this is obviously not a shock to me), it is ridiculous that there are so many hypocritical football fans. I asked earlier in the thread was it too much to have some reasoned debate about the match, seemingly it was. It was a great game, both sides played well. United played very well in the first half, Chelsea did in the second half. Very similar to the 2008 European Cup Final. As always, little details decide these big games and Chelsea got the rub of the green last night.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda

Debate may rage on, but the 2-1 result stands.
    I'd be worrying about the trip to Anfield now ;)

Worrying, not me, more thankful that we're not facing another top team so soon.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Terry's hand ball.

meh, both were ones you'd like to see given to your team, but you're not surprised when they're not.

the ref didn't have a great night, but in reality they were probably 50/50 decisions that went to the home team.

the only especially loony thing he got wrong which made it a shít night for him was Luiz still being on the pitch. you have to get those ones right, and he really didn't.

it's probably more productive for Utd fans to look at their own team's deficiencies in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Ouch. A lot of sour grapes here..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

Ref was terrible, Luis should have seen a second yellow, Tories goal should have stood, penalty was ridonkulous. Got all the big decisions wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just spend 25 mins reading this thread. Better get back to work. Its been great though.

As an Arsenal fan, thank you Chelsea. LOL at United fans giving out about the dodgy decisions. I've been watching football a very long time, your team gets FAR more than any other. Get over it.

SlickRic wrote: »
    meh, both were ones you'd like to see given to your team, but you're not surprised when they're not.

the ref didn't have a great night, but in reality they were probably 50/50 decisions that went to the home team.

the only especially loony thing he got wrong which made it a shít night for him was Luiz still being on the pitch. you have to get those ones right, and he really didn't.

it's probably more productive for Utd fans to look at their own team's deficiencies in the 2nd half.

I wasn't complaining just giving my appraisal of the game. United fans on the whole are not really into the whole conspiracy theory approach, we realise refs are only human and can get decisions wrong. We know they don't have to be corrupt for that to happen.:)

Chelsea upped their game second half, I don't thinkm our performance deterioirated all that much tbh. I still think no 19 is looking good for this year

Worrying, not me, more thankful that we're not facing another top team so soon.:D

Should be a handy 3 points for ye :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Could have easily been 2-2 with a couple of penos .

But watching Rooney giving out to the officials was the best laugh of the evening .
    Ain't Karma a bitch sometimes .

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Should be a handy 3 points for ye :cool:

Should be but as you know they have a nasty habit of being extreamly Jammy.:p

Advertisement