Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinach Bolanis (Afghan stuffed breads) - anyone got a recipe?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 12:44pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a recipe for Afghan stuffed bread (bolanis) with spinach but can't seem to find an explicit one anywhere. I know roughly what goes into them but can't seem to find the measurements. I want to make the bread myself as shop-bought tortillas just don't taste right.

Has anyone ever made, or even eaten these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I want to make the bread myself as shop-bought tortillas just don't taste right.

Try a flatbread called khobz rather than tortilla. Buy it in middle eastern shops.

7s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

They have khobez in Aldi - Its called mediteranian flat breads but it tastes nearly identicle

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The khobz I know is pouch-bread, like thin pita. Do you reckon it would be good to stuff or roll it with both layers outside the stuffing? Or am I not thinking of the right bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I've not had bolanis and I suggest khobz as an alternative to tortillas as it will probably be closer to the real thing, but it looks like bolanis are very similar to gozleme - thats a turkish speciality made with spinach and feta (or similar) cheese. The filling is rolled into the dough, then the whole lot is cooked on a hot plate - cooking in a few minutes. Gozleme are made with yukfa dough which I believe can be bought uncooked in discs. Have a look in the middle eastern shops in the chiller cabinets.

There is a recipe in Greg & Lucy Malouf's book - Turquoise, for Gruyere and Spinach Gozleme using shop bought yufka dough. Similar to his recipe here, use 550g of blanched spinach.

The book is pretty good on the unleavened bread recipes with recipes for a basic borek dough made using yoghurt.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That looks a bit more like it. Stupid spinach went bad while I was looking for a recipe :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement