Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 120mm fans and controller.

Options
  • 28-02-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

so after my abismal attempt to fix my oover heating harddrive problem in my lan box, i decided to build an external frame to hold them.

i have 9 drives, and they are now sitting in a sturdy wooden case, with 3 x 120mm fans cooling them.

however, the fans are very loud. they are very powerful, and do the job but they are too strong.

i have a fan controller, and when connected to the controller, it works. but when i reduce the speed on the fans, there is a loud noise from all the motor's in the fans...

so, i need a new fan controller, and 3 new 120mm fans.

I want good ones, that will give good air flow, but not annoy the hell outa me with noise.

however, i have about €50 in total for the controller and fans.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

Are you saying you had 9 harddrives in a LAN box? there's your problem. You would be better off with a NAS than look at how many HDD's i've crammed into my case.

9 drives will generate alot of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Are you saying you had 9 harddrives in a LAN box? there's your problem. You would be better off with a NAS than look at how many HDD's i've crammed into my case.

9 drives will generate alot of heat.

good god no. i was rotating them as i needed them. only ever had 4 in there.

they were within acceptable temperatures, but id prefer them to be somewhere safer and cooler.
    massy086 wrote: »

cheers massy.
    any suggestion on a fan controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I have 2 fractal case fans(120mm) sittn here gettn dusty...You can have em if you want em....I`ll throw em in a jiffy bag and post them to you...
    I think they are 13/1400 rpm case fans. They came with my Fractal r3 case..

If you want them Pm me your address and I will post em when im in town tomorrow..:cool:

cheers dwight, legend of an offer, but i really need 3 fans, and im very picky on looks so unless i can source another fractal case fan it would throw a spanner in my plans :p

but thats so nice of you to offer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

cheers dwight, legend of an offer, but i really need 3 fans, and im very picky on looks so unless i can source another fractal case fan it would throw a spanner in my plans :p

but thats so nice of you to offer!

no worries...;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I picked up one of these from adverts a few months back:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1373

I don't really use it though so you can have it if you want :) Its just a cheap thing but it does the job.

deconduo wrote: »
    I picked up one of these from adverts a few months back:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1373

I don't really use it though so you can have it if you want :) Its just a cheap thing but it does the job.

cheers decondou, but my lan box is small and only has space free for a 3 1/2" fan controller :D

but otherwise thanks for the offer!

i think im gonna go for the quitest fans i can find, as after doing some tests my harddrives dont get too hot now that they are out of the lanbox and all i need is a very small amount of air flow.

Advertisement