Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Night in Limerick

• 28-02-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my husband are travelling to Limerick next Saturday to the Absolute Hotel, it was a City Deal xmas present and dinner is sorted as its included on the voucher. We want to get down to Limerick early on Saturday and do something for the day (no football allowed!!) Anywhere you'd suggest we visit, or anywhere nice to go for a few cocktails during the day (pints for himself!). We dont get away often so we want to make the most of it! We are travelling from Dublin!

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

If you do get down early the market is lovely to walk around and have some food as you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

thanks for that. Is the market in the City Centre? I was only in Limierck once about 9 years ago so I have no idea of my way around. I'm assuming the hotel is central enough though!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

The hotel is just outside the city centre, on the Abbey river, nice hotel and about 5 mins walk to the market, and another 3 to Cruises Street/O'Connell Street. I'll throw up a map in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

For cocktails, I'd recommend The Glasshouse Restaurant on the river front (http://www.glasshouserestaurant.ie/). Very good bartender if you're really into cocktails. The food looks pretty good too, but I've only had starters.

The Hunt Museum is also worth a visit (http://www.huntmuseum.com/). Try and get a guided tour with one of the docents if you can - it's quite an eclectic collection, and the docents are all very committed to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Janneke wrote: »
    The Hunt Museum is also worth a visit (http://www.huntmuseum.com/). Try and get a guided tour with one of the docents if you can - it's quite an eclectic collection, and the docents are all very committed to it.

Also, it's free to go in between 2-5 on most Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

There's also King John's Castle which isn't too far from you bout 15 mins walk. Also i have heard from a friend of mine that the Absolute has a good spa there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

if you hit the market, head for a pint/coffee after in Nancy Blakes, and warm up by the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi

Hope you have a great weekend in Limerick...the gods are already smiling on you, I see the weather forecast is excellent!!

Pop into No1 Pery Square Hotel on Pery Square for Olde World style to kickstart your day with a coffee or a bucks fizz and plan your stay!!

For Cocktails theres The Glasshouse Restaurant (as one poster already mentioned) great cocktails but it is really quiet until dinner service time in the evening.

The bar in the Savoy Hotel make a mean mojito or whatever you fancy in really plush surroundings, the bar here has gotten very busy of late.

Pubs wise theres LOADS of great pubs to choose from...
    Nancy Blakes and Flannerys will be wedged on Saturday night pumping out music.
    Clohessys on Howleys Quay isnt as busy in these recessionary times but still gets a good crowd and theres some great Munster :) memorabila in there for Leinster folk to admire!!!
    Fla's (gerry Flanneryas) on Catherine St has just added on a major extension and should have a live band there Saturday night.
    Locke Bar on Georges quay is a lovely atmospheric pub ...

Two Pubs YOU MUST visit in Limerick are The White House on O Connell St and Tom Collins on Cecil St, two of the oldest pubs in Limerick... loads of great old photos and artwork from Limerick.

Food wise...mostly good too....
    Hamptons restaurant in the Basement of the Savoy Hotel is always buzzing and food is top notch...
    The Market Square is in the Savoy, it can be hit and miss..its expensive for what it is ..closest thing to fine dining in the City.
    Cornstore on Thomas St is good...Freddys Bistrot Post office Lane very good
    The Glasshouse (cocktails also!) is good too!!!

Have a great weekend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!! Loads to do it seems!
    Just looking forward to getting away now, dying to check out the spa in the hotel too!!!

Thanks,

Caroline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Have a fab weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement