Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this sound?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

What do you make of this? It was recorded in a house in Carlow - basically a story had come in during research for Haunted Carlow so we went to check the place out.

There are only three people in the building - which you can hear talking in the background - but from about the end of the 1st until the end of the 4th second you can hear something else.

I actually caught the end of it at the time (so this isnt an EVP) though the other two didnt, but it sounds much louder on the recording, and to be quite frank I am amazed we didnt hear it fully at the time.

http://musicfrombands.com/kitchen2.mp3

Anyway - can anyone make heads or tails out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

That would be mild feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

from where exactly? and when has feedback sounded like that? (Im a musician - plenty of feedback experience)

Dont get me wrong - I totally am looking for viable explanations - but mild feedback .... that explains nothing unfortunately. How does a camera create feedback, for a start, and how come 8 other devices all recorded the same thing?

If its feedback, where did the feedback come from - and again, how come no-one heard it (well I kinda did)?

As musicians (I am one too) we associate the feedback we hear often as what feedback is, however how it sounds actually depends on what ses it off. You obviously had more than a camera because you have recorded sound; at the very least the camera has a mic in it. The fact that you kind of heard it but yet it is very strong in the recording further points to the camera as the source; it may have been a very low sound in the periphery but the internal mic would/could pick that up much clearer and louder. Feedback is very easy to create, and though the most common way it for a loop of sound to be created, magnetic or electrical interference can produce waves that also cause it.

Personally, I have never in my life heard feedback sounding like that - thats assuming there was a way of creating the feedback in the first place. The conditions - either in device placement, or atmospheric - werent there to create any feedback. Therefore, I would have to say feedback is quite doubtful.

GodlessM wrote: »
    The fact that you kind of heard it but yet it is very strong in the recording further points to the camera as the source.

Dont forget, it was picked up clearly in 8 other devices, in different rooms.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    Dont forget, it was picked up clearly in 8 other devices, in different rooms.

This is further strengthens my belief that it was caused by a magnetic or electrical interference as it is possible it could have effected all of the devices. You are free to believe my explanation as much or as little as you want of course, but I have heard this sort of feedback before so I am personally convinced. The only other thing that could possibly sound like that is what might happen if a person theoretically broke the hearing barrier of the average human being; a new frequency that we can't normally hear, however since you heard it and I can clearly hear it on the recording I severly doubt it.

Fair enough. Personally though, I dont believe it to be feedback. not unless feedback can make gibberish statements ending in '.... songs eh!'

As much as I would like viable explanations, I just would have to discount feedback. It doesnt fit it at all at all.

Fair enough. Personally though, I dont believe it to be feedback. not unless feedback can make gibberish statements ending in '.... songs eh!'

As much as I would like viable explanations, I just would have to discount feedback. It doesnt fit it at all at all.

Gibberish statements? There's no gibberish statements on that recording, just a very long high pitched squeel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

There's a voice there alright but without being able to discount any of your friends voices, who knows.
    It sounds louder on the recording because it's heavily compressed.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    There's a voice there alright but without being able to discount any of your friends voices, who knows.
    It sounds louder on the recording because it's heavily compressed.

The only voices are the voices in the background that are there from start to finish and it is acknowledge in the OP that the first second or so of the recording are these people.

• Advertisement

The only voices are the voices in the background that are there from start to finish and it is acknowledge in the OP that the first second or so of the recording are these people.
    There is another voice as the op states so the only voices are not just those in the background of which I can hear only one anyway.
    We only hear 7 secs of 1 recording. We don't know what exactly was picked up in the other rooms nor do we know what his friends sound like except for one.

there are three people, two of whom are having a low volume conversation. the voice comes in over the top from the end of the first second until the end of the 4th second. its not feedback.

It also isnt one of us - as I know only two people were talking (as I was there), and I also know that no-one bar myself caught any of the voice sound - and I only heard the 'eh!' bit at the time - I didnt hear the rest of it.

There was no-one else in the building, and all 9 recorders in that floor clearly picked it up - which means it wasnt from outside. The camera this particular recording came from picked it up the clearest and it was in the centre of the house.

As I say - Im not looking to be told this is a ghost ... Im looking for an explanation of what it could be. 'Feedback' it is not - though I appreciate the comment. Im thinking maybe godless somehow can't actually hear the gibberish, though its pretty clear to hear if you ask me.

There is another voice as the op states so the only voices are not just those in the background of which I can hear only one anyway.
    We only hear 7 secs of 1 recording. We don't know what exactly was picked up in the other rooms nor do we know what his friends sound like except for one.

The same recording was picked up in the other rooms, with the sound a good bit louder than the background conversation. Some recordings werent as clear as this one, which makes me think whatever made the sound was nearer this particular camera.

I know what my friends sound like, and as I say - i was there .. there was only me and Darragh talking lowly - the third guy was standing beside us saying nothing.

At the time I heard the eh! part and I thought I was hearing things, as the other two didnt hear it. It was only when reviewing 27 hours of tapes that I realised it had been recorded.

Gibberish statements? There's no gibberish statements on that recording, just a very long high pitched squeel.

I dont hear a high pitched squeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I dont hear a high pitched squeal?

Neither do I. Does that voice have a distinct Liverpool accent?

never thought of it that way, but i suppose it does.

What i hear is a string of gibberish ending in 'songs eh!' or something like that. Ive reversed it, slowed it down etc etc and I still cant make any sense out of it.

loldog wrote: »
    Does that voice have a distinct Liverpool accent?

****, dont tell me its derek acorah (that was in jest btw, in case anyone thinks Im serious)

Now I hear the voice you are talking about but it is definitely not ESP, and is definitely 'earthly' as such, as it has resonence and everything. Sounds to me like there was someone else in the building talking, or your friends said this and you just don't remember but I guess you are going to say definitely not to both.

The squeel comes in near the end and rises in volume and pitch.

I ran the audio through filters. It almost sounds like someone singing as there's a certain rhythm to it.
    Words at the start are difficult to make out but something like "(Well I could hear) what could be your songs,eh".
    I fairly confident that the last 4 or 5 words are accurate.

Now I hear the voice you are talking about but it is definitely not ESP, and is definitely 'earthly' as such, as it has resonence and everything. Sounds to me like there was someone else in the building talking, or your friends said this and you just don't remember but I guess you are going to say definitely not to both.

The squeel comes in near the end and rises in volume and pitch.

Unfortunately I cant lie to you and say there was anyone else in the building, or tell you that one of us said whatever is being said and then we all promptly forgot about it.

I heard it at the time (as Ive mentioned), but I only caught the 'eh!' bit. The other two though had no idea what I was on about. Not only was it not one of us, but it was pretty faint to my ears - yet that camera was only about 10 feet away in the next room and it recorded it pretty loud.

I honestly dont know what to make of it. Theres a dog from outside on the very very end.

• Advertisement

sounds like someone singing as there's a certain rhythm to it.

I slowed it down and brought the pitch down a bit and it does sound song-like.

this is a different recording from a different camera, but its slowed down:

http://musicfrombands.com/sound2_slowed.mp3

but it is definitely not ESP

Do you mean an EVP? It couldnt be an evp considering I actually heard it at the time.

Do you mean an EVP? It couldnt be an evp considering I actually heard it at the time.

Lol yea, full of typos this week :rolleyes:

I have a two theories, both involve what I would term as 'dead sound'. Sound whose waves have almost expired but still exist, however are too low to be reasonably audible. Could have been radio waves from a broadcast somewhere just tapering off, or someone who was singing/speaking nearby. A good quality mic could in theory pick this sort of thing up; you could say it is similar to how EVP is picked in the sense it is something we cannot perceive but the electronics can. Of course this does not explain why you heard it?

Question; is there a road near this house?

its in a cul de sac at the end of a housing estate. I have to say though, most houses in ireland are near to a road of some kind.

Could have been radio waves from a broadcast somewhere just tapering off, or someone who was singing/speaking nearby.

I totally go with the radio interference idea, but then again, would all the devices have picked up the same interference? I dont think so. If someone was singing nearby, they would have needed to be in the house i would assume, considering the sound even has an echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

"So... leavin somethin pub you have to delete your songs.. EH?"

Is what i can hear.. Sounds like he's from Cork.. Could it be someone walking past the house?

the first recorder was in the front room, and since that was the first time we heard it, we assumed it may well have been someone outside. In the end though, multiple devices picked it up, the loudest being the one off the kitchen - which is virtually in the middle of the house. i can even hear echo off it - the house was stripped of furniture etc and there is a slight echo when someone talks. that makes me think it sounds whatever it is is inside the house - but that doesnt make sense as I know for a fact there was no-one else but us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

That is definitely feedback, and its off the camera. You silly billy its so obvious.

• Advertisement

what is feedback .... the sound that goes from the end of the first second to the end of the fourth ending in '... songs eh!'?

I dont want to sound like a killjoy, but that doesnt sound like feedback to me. As I've mentioned a few times already, the 'feedback' was also picked up on the other cameras too. None of us heard the 'feedback' at the time - though i did hear the 'eh!' bit.

I'll say it again though - what I hear isnt feedback.

Advertisement