Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this sound?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If anyone wants to edit/clean it up or try..

[audio]http://www.aviary.com/getfile?fguid=a54569ca-469a-11e0-8e27-1231390ec091&getegg=0

If you want to log in, Username: Kitchen 2
    Password: 123456

or to hear direct

http://www.aviary.com/launch/Myna?fguid=a54569ca-469a-11e0-8e27-1231390ec091

It sounds like
    "Now if we were in the pub i could hear your sounds.. EH!"

I tried editing it in Aviary.. not really cleaned up that much.

Doesn't explain where it came from though.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

maccored wrote: »
    its in a cul de sac at the end of a housing estate. I have to say though, most houses in ireland are near to a road of some kind.

I asked this because it could have been a simple case of a passing car radio; they may have even turned the volume up to much at that point by accident. This is grasping a bit at straws but is a valid enough explanation.
    I totally go with the radio interference idea, but then again, would all the devices have picked up the same interference? I dont think so. If someone was singing nearby, they would have needed to be in the house i would assume, considering the sound even has an echo.

Why wouldn't all of the devices pick it up? Radio waves could easily cover the whole interior of the house. As for the person singing, the echo does put that theory to rest alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

mainly because if radio signals get commonly recorded, or if a passing car could pass a signal to not just one, random, accidental recorder (which i assume can happen) and instead found its way to all recorders then I would assume radio DJs, amateur musicians doing home recordings, and in studio and basically anyone using a video camera would find this kind of interference more commonly.

Im not trying to be an asshole - but I'm looking for a viable explanation. radio interference on one device is rare, but not impossible (though regulations does restrict electronic devices and signal radiation, otherwise it would affect your telly amongst other things). On multiple devices, i find that much harder to believe, especially since there was no passing traffic.

Im going to file this under 'i havent a baldy' for the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Well it's not feedback, wherever that idea came from:confused:

There seems to be heavy audio compression on the clip. Is this on the original recording or was it compressed later.
    I ask because if the compression was on the recording device, then the voice must have been close enough to the recorder to prevent it from amplifying. You can hear the compressor "opening up" after "Eh".

I also don't think it is rf breakthrough. First, because of the echo and secondly, I work with radio equipment and it just doesn't sound like breakthrough. You get a feel for these things and IMO it just isn't.

I know what the answer will be but I've got to ask......could it be someones ringtone or was anybody on the phone at the time??

• Advertisement

the compression was added afterwords - i boosted the volume a bit in logic audio with some compression and then tweaked the eq a bit. The objective was to sharpen the audio up a bit.

We knock off mobiles, walkies etc when recording - walkies are a pain for static interference.

If I wasnt there at the time, I'd put this down to someone taking the piss. I was there though, and it isnt, in all honesty.

this is a longer clip from a camera in the front room - a good 20 - 25 feet away from the other camera

http://musicfrombands.com/sound1.mp3

You can hear me asking did anyone hear an 'eh' and at the end saying 'what did i just hear there? I heard an EH!'

mainly because if radio signals get commonly recorded, or if a passing car could pass a signal to not just one, random, accidental recorder (which i assume can happen) and instead found its way to all recorders then I would assume radio DJs, amateur musicians doing home recordings, and in studio and basically anyone using a video camera would find this kind of interference more commonly.

Im not trying to be an asshole - but I'm looking for a viable explanation. radio interference on one device is rare, but not impossible (though regulations does restrict electronic devices and signal radiation, otherwise it would affect your telly amongst other things). On multiple devices, i find that much harder to believe, especially since there was no passing traffic.

Ok see you are under the assumption here that if it can happen, it will happen often. This is not the case. Plus I'm not talking about radio interference, I am talking about radio waves carrying a signal. There doesn't have to be a passing car or anything (that was just one idea), they can travel thousands of miles without losing potency, and in fact on the contrary to your belief, it would wierd if only one camera picked it up and not all of the others. It is not interference (quite obviously since interference doesn't create voices), it is a broadcast quite literally, i.e. plain sound carried on radio waves. This isn't about cars etc. 'passing' it, they are literally spilling the sound into the air. The voice has resonence therefore it is definitely a normal sound.

Still the wild card is you; the only thing that explains how you heard it is that it was a simple sound that the others just didn't notice. You say there was no passing traffic; if the road is a distance away how do you know? As an audio engineer, I just don't find anything in this recording to scream paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I'd imagine that's a taxi dispatcher or something similar. In my old house in the city centre, my TV used to pick up delivery trucks radio signals, for about a 3 second slot at a time. The trucks wouldn't even be passing the street, but maybe about 3 blocks away.

I have to concur in the main with GodlessM, although he's not entirely correct about radio waves :)

I think it may be just somebody walking past the house, possibly on the phone.

Last year I was recording ambient sounds out in the back garden, birds and the like. Listening back, I could hear, at one point, 2 voices which i didn't hear whilst recording. Now I know it was just the neighbours out for a walk as the nearest house is 1/4 mile away.

It's the only practical answer.

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's a taxi dispatcher or something similar. In my old house in the city centre, my TV used to pick up delivery trucks radio signals, for about a 3 second slot at a time. The trucks wouldn't even be passing the street, but maybe about 3 blocks away.

No.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I have to concur in the main with GodlessM, although he's not entirely correct about radio waves :)

I think it may be just somebody walking past the house, possibly on the phone.

Last year I was recording ambient sounds out in the back garden, birds and the like. Listening back, I could hear, at one point, 2 voices which i didn't hear whilst recording. Now I know it was just the neighbours out for a walk as the nearest house is 1/4 mile away.

It's the only practical answer.

I wouldnt argue with the idea it could be mobile phone interference. I'd find it highly unlikely, but its a possibility. Certainly is not definitive in this case though - i dont see how phone interference could cause echo?

The main difference between your experience and this is you were outside - theres a lot of sound sources outside.

EDIT - as an experiment .. if anyone wants to see just how unlikely it is to record a clip of a mobile phone conversation on a audio recorder from a distance, have a go. set up a tape recorder or digital camera in the house, and go outside and make a phone call. If you ever manage to record your phonecall on the recorder through interference, post it up. Its much much rarer than you'd think. in fact, if its at any kind of distance and the phone is a normal phone, it's highly unlikely.

GodlessM wrote: »
    Still the wild card is you; the only thing that explains how you heard it is that it was a simple sound that the others just didn't notice. You say there was no passing traffic; if the road is a distance away how do you know? As an audio engineer, I just don't find anything in this recording to scream paranormal.

haha, make up your mind. you reckoned it was feedback earlier ;)

This is why I need to make a faraday cage. put a recorder into one of those and then at least if you pick up anything, you could rule out interference of any kind.

The main difference between your experience and this is you were outside - theres a lot of sound sources outside.
    Not where I live. Quiet road, nearest neighbour 1/4 mile away and thats my point. I didn't hear it but the recorder did. Same as in your case.

If you ever manage to record your phonecall on the recorder through interference, post it up. Its much much rarer than you'd think. in fact, if its at any kind of distance and the phone is a normal phone, it's highly unlikely.
    Not just unlikely but impossible. Mobiles use digital. Interference is very possible within a few feet but you will not be able to hear spoken audio.

When i suggested that someone could have been on the phone, I meant the recorder picked up his voice through sound waves.

haha, make up your mind. you reckoned it was feedback earlier wink.gif

This is why I need to make a faraday cage. put a recorder into one of those and then at least if you pick up anything, you could rule out interference of any kind.

No the squeely sound at the end is feedback; remember I initially thought the voices were your mates talking.

Again, I never said it is interference, I said it is possible a sound being broadcast by radio waves, not radio waves causing interference.
    When i suggested that someone could have been on the phone, I meant the recorder picked up his voice through sound waves.

Was going to point out that this is what you meant, but you've already gone ahead and done it.

maccored, you seem to be misunderstanding several posts thinking people are suggesting electronic interference when in fact we are not; seriously who would suggest electronic interference could make voices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

No.

Rude much? Would you like to elaborate on your defiant 'No'?

No not rude much.
    Read post #36 which predates your post and theory.

To add to my previous answer, if you listen to both recordings, the voice on the 2nd one is clearly further away from that recorder. This rules out rf interference. Also, if it were as you suggest, the op would not have heard "Eh" until he listened back to the recording. It's already been stated that he heard the voice.

Not just unlikely but impossible. Mobiles use digital. Interference is very possible within a few feet but you will not be able to hear spoken audio.

Im going to put this down to suspected interference. To be honest, Im finding it hard to work out just *how* the interference got there, but its the only viable explaination.

GodlessM wrote: »
    maccored, you seem to be misunderstanding several posts thinking people are suggesting electronic interference when in fact we are not; seriously who would suggest electronic interference could make voices?

Im not an expert on radiowaves, soundwaves or electronic interference so forgive me.

If its not electronic interference then is the suggestion that its plain old, everyday sound? Cus if thats the case, then who was it making the sound?

• Advertisement

has anyone ever had any thoughts on this? Ive never figured it out.

Advertisement