Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got a flash, how do I use it?

• 28-02-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Okay, slight hyperbole aside, I picked up a 430 EX II and am very impressed with basic attempts at lighting indoor scenes. My problem is that I've been playing around with it with my camera on full-auto: f4.0, 1/60 shutter speed. And it works fine. The thing is, I'd like to use it to shoot macro, which means stopping the lens down to 2.8 on my 100mm macro.

My question is, how does metering factor into this equation? If I'm at f2.8 with a reasonable shutter speed of 1/180, the meter shows under-exposure. I'm assuming this is expected behaviour, and that it doesn't recognise the flash. So am I right in thinking that in this way, obtaining a correct exposure is a case of trial-and-error?

Example below, (f2.8, 1/160)

5484945659_9f50b4ca5e_z.jpg
    Flower 2 by paulrichardoleary, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Switch to manual and choose shutter speed and aperture and let the flash sort out the exposure, this is what ettl is helpful for. If it looks too dark up the iso, lots of experimenting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Been trying similar lately. But I only have macro rings with no af which makes it trickier again when also hnd holding the flash. It's all trial and error for me as my flash doesn't do ttl. If you're using a diffuser that will effect the flash power too.

Narrower apertures are always recommended for this type of work. Stop the lens right down for more detail and try the flash at different levels manually. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 until you're getting nice fill flash not blowing detail out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

TelePaul wrote: »
    Okay, slight hyperbole aside, I picked up a 430 EX II and am very impressed with basic attempts at lighting indoor scenes. My problem is that I've been playing around with it with my camera on full-auto: f4.0, 1/60 shutter speed. And it works fine. The thing is, I'd like to use it to shoot macro, which means stopping the lens down to 2.8 on my 100mm macro.

My question is, how does metering factor into this equation? If I'm at f2.8 with a reasonable shutter speed of 1/180, the meter shows under-exposure. I'm assuming this is expected behaviour, and that it doesn't recognise the flash. So am I right in thinking that in this way, obtaining a correct exposure is a case of trial-and-error?

Example below, (f2.8, 1/160)

your meter will only ever show you the ambient measurement. What to do next depends on whether your camera/flash actually does TTL flash metering. If it does then you probably don't need to sweat it, might take a few shots to get the flash in the right position WRT what you're shooting, but once you've done that just pick any shutter speed below your sync speed, and pick an aperture to suit and fire away. With macro stuff and a handy flash it's probably best to stop down a lot f/8 f/16 or so to get reasonable DOF. The flash will be more than able to light the subject.

If you're using a manual flash then yeah, a bit of trial and error is probably called for. Just experiment with different powers on the flash 1/2 1/4 1/8 etc until the shot looks exposed correctly. This can be a bit of a PITA, particularly with moving subjects (although you can more or less calibrate for a particular distance and then be reasonably sure you'll get the correct exposure at that distance), TTL flash metering is a godsend for macro.

With an even halfway decent flash you probably won't have to up the iso if you're shooting at macro distances, even stopped down. They should put out a ton of power at that distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Agree with DQ.

Remember: Shutter speed has no effect on flash exposure, so you can bring your shutter speed to say 1/40 and allow the shadows to be filled in without fear of the flash exposed area being overexposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Thanks all, this has been very illuminating (awesome pun intended, because it was intended). But like many of my posts here it's left me with a few further questions. So, just by way of clarification:

1) The light-meter in my camera will never compensate for the presence of a flash
    2) The TTL metering will decide how much power to give to the flash release based on the aperture and shutter speeds employed
    3) The length of time for which the shutter is open has no impact on how much flash light is absorbed

That about right?

Thanks again chaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Check this out http://lightenupandshoot.net/ and purchase the v-book (only €9) superb explanations of flash/off camera flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

TelePaul wrote: »
    Thanks all, this has been very illuminating (awesome pun intended, because it was intended). But like many of my posts here it's left me with a few further questions. So, just by way of clarification:

1) The light-meter in my camera will never compensate for the presence of a flash
    2) The TTL metering will decide how much power to give to the flash release based on the aperture and shutter speeds employed
    Aperture and iso, but pretty much, yes.
    3) The length of time for which the shutter is open has no impact on how much flash light is absorbed

No, so long as you're shooting under your sync speed. Probably 250 or 200 depending on your camera. Actually most modern bodies and flashes have some form of high speed sync which means you can shoot at higher than sync speeds at the cost of some flash power but that's unneccessary complication ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I found this excellent: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html#wireless

It is long, and a bit technical - but worth the slog. Here are a few quick answers to your q's:

CORRECT.

TTL works like this: When you press the shutter button, the flash will fire. an inbuilt flash meter in the camera body measures the amount of light reflected from the subject. It then factors in ISO & aperture setting, to determine how strong a burst of light is needed in order to expose the scene correctly.

Next, the camera opens the shutter & closes the aperture to whatever it is set to. THEN it fires the flash at the level it had calculated earlier.

Correct. The flash lasts for between 1/20,000 and 1/1000 of a second, approximately. If using flash, your shutter speed will be 1/250th of a sec or slower. Slowing the shutter will not let in any more light from the flash, ( because the flash has already fired) but it will let in more light from the scene as a whole, unless you are shooting in absolute darkness.

-FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Borderfox wrote: »
    Check this out http://lightenupandshoot.net/ and purchase the v-book (only €9) superb explanations of flash/off camera flash.
    Cheers. was searching the forums for something like this, as I got a Nissin Speedlite DI 622 Mark II for my 450D yesterday.

Advertisement