Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista 5 UPC Monitoring?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Never knew we even had a home security forum on boards.ie so glad that I found it! I wonder if you could help me with a quick question.

We currently have all our phone and broadband services through Eircom, always have done. We also have a Vista 5 alarm system which is monitored by Top Security. As far as I can see the alarm box has several cables running from it into the telephone socket in the hall.

If we were to move our phone and broadband to UPC would it be possible to do the following:

1) Leave all wiring into hall socket from Vista 5 box as is.
    2) Disconnect incoming Eircom cable at junction box just inside our property.
    (The cable outgoing from that junction box heads straight to the socket in the hall delivering signal to the house.)
    3) Replace that Eircom cable with a new telephone cable.
    4) Put an RJ45 connection at the other end of that telephone cable.
    5) Plug that cable into the UPC telephone/modem unit.

Would the above then deliver signal to our phone sockets in the house and, importantly, would the Vista 5 still send a signal out to Top Security?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Glad you found us & welcome jonfas,
    It would work , but it requires a few changes to existing wiring.
    Get yourself one of these
    http://www.binbin.net/photos/generic/twi/twin-rj11-socket-wall-plate-twin-rj11-wall-skt-.jpg
    And an RJ11 to RJ11 lead.
    Disconnect the Eircom line coming into the house.
    Now what you do is unplug the phone from UPC modem and connect RJ11 lead to one connection on that double RJ11 socket . Wire the back of that socket to the alarm cable thats feeding the alarm. Now take the return pair out of the alarm and wire it to existing phone lines around the house & also back to the second of the double socket . Plug your UPC phone into this (or any other phone socket that was live with your Eircom line.
    I would also recommend you get a battery back up Power supply for your UPC modem. That way in the event of a power cut your monitoring still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Thanks very much for that info. Yes I had thought about the issue regarding a power cut. Would you know of any battery pack which would work well with the UPC modem?

Thanks very much for your help. Appreciated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

johnfás wrote: »
    Would you know of any battery pack which would work well with the UPC modem?

A 12vdc Power supply with back up battery.
    Something like this

Advertisement