Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next steps after a m/c?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    can anyone tell me who I need to contact? I've just had a second miscarriage over the weekend and I'd like to get my self checked out. I've had two successfull full-term pregnancies, but baby number three seems to be a bit more difficult. I was in the early pregnancy unit for my last miscarriage but was actually away when it happened this time (in the UK) and haven't gone near a GP or hospital. Who do I contact regarding getting tests done? I can't get through to the EPU in the Rotunda. I don't want to leave a message for them, as I'm in work and don't want them phoning me here. Do people just go to GPs and get referrals from there? What's my next step?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Its unlikely that any of the maternity hospitals will do any specific tests until you have had 3 consecutive miscarriages. Its cruel and unfair but that is the 'policy' in both the UK and Ireland. Your GP may do some general tests and will probably recommend a smear test to rule anything out, but apart from that, I think 2 miscarriages is considered common enough and generally a problem is suspected until you have had 3, especially since you have had 2 successful pregnancies. Either way, your GP is going to be your first port of call.

I'm really sorry for your losses and I hope that you are either successful in conceiveing again or in getting the tests that you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sexykitten7258

I too have had my 2nd miscarriage over the weekend and I would recommend you go into the maternity hospitals A and E where you will be referred to the epu the following day or evan that day. I was told I was going to miscarry my baby 2 weeks ago and if I was in pain or started bleeding heavily over the weekend to go straight to a and e other wise to call the epu monday to friday. When I started bleeding I went in for a scan and blood test to check my levels had dropped. The reason behind this is to ensure no tissue is left behind.
    Its not easy I feel i've been too and from from the hospital last few weeks but I also know the importance of it too. Hope ths helped and sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.
    I rang the EPU in the Rotunda and they confirmed that I wouldn't be given any tests until a 3rd miscarriage had occured. They said that when I get pregnant again I can have an early scan at 10 weeks there, with them. They also said that if I suffer any spotting or bleeding on a next pregnancy I can go straight into them. They also suggested that I go to my G.P, if only even just to have a record of a 2nd miscarriage.
    Anyway, I went yesterday to the G.P. I gave her the story of my two miscarriages. She did a pregnancy test and of course it was negative. She took my blood pressure and just asked about any recent travel or illnesses that I or my husband may have had.
    What was good was that she said that as soon as I get a positive result from a pregnancy test that they will confirm it for me and give me a check up. Then I can pay for an early scan in another nearby clinic for around €100. This will again confirm the pregnancy but also see if it is vialble.
    I'm mostly posting this information for anyone else who just doesn't know what the next steps are after a miscarriage. Fingers crossed that these two last pregnancies are the last miscarriages I have. I have two beautiful young children who I cherish and who keep me sane.
    Best of luck to all of you who are trying. It's worth it all in the end!

Advertisement