Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online poker?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

The college has all poker sites and software blocked, like full tilt and pokerstars.

Anyone know any way around this? Just using a free internet proxy doesnt work.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Swaine55 wrote: »
    The college has all poker sites and software blocked, like full tilt and pokerstars.

Anyone know any way around this? Just using a free internet proxy doesnt work.

Thanks

I think the problem lies mostly in terms of shared ISP address.

Afaik creating any account that requires a specific isp cannot work (like X-box live for instance).

Shame, either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

eduroam is now campus-wide! get set up with that and play all the poker you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

eduroam is now campus-wide! get set up with that and play all the poker you want!
    Wouldn't quite describe it as campus-wide, but yes, it's definitely more wide-spread than it used to be.

http://eduroam.ucd.ie for anyone not familiar with eduroam.

On WaveLAN, the furthest I managed to get with launching Stars, is as far as an empty lobby.... Got connection to the main update server, but none of the ones with tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Hoku wrote: »
    Wouldn't quite describe it as campus-wide, but yes, it's definitely more wide-spread than it used to be.

http://eduroam.ucd.ie for anyone not familiar with eduroam.

On WaveLAN, the furthest I managed to get with launching Stars, is as far as an empty lobby.... Got connection to the main update server, but none of the ones with tables.

Sorry, I should have said belgrove-wide.. Don't know about anywhere else exept the health science where it's new in.

Quinn seems to have it in some areas also. Sitting in Q015 now, connected to eduroam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

have you used eduroam for poker???

Eduroam says it cannot verify my password

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What is eurodam? I've looked through the website but couldn't figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Eduroam is the UCD equivalent of the TCD network. You can login to the internet using your UCD id and password, just google ucd eduroam and the page will instruct you of the program you have to install for a pc. A few programs I use don't work with it.

But android phone can connect to it!! so all is forgiven.

Probably the reason why some programs don't work with it is that you either
    a) don't have the security client installed, as instructed at eduroam.ucd.ie; or
    b) you still have the WaveLAN proxy enabled even when you're on eduroam.

I don't know if there is a Windows program that allows you to automatically switch proxy settings when you connect to a particular network, but that feature is available on MacBooks (through use of Locations).

I've used FTP (port 21), SSH (port 22) and Stars (several other ports) on eduroam, all successfully. So if it's not working, chances are you've either gone wrong somewhere in the configuration, or you've been naughty on eduroam before and you've been banned. Torrenting is very likely to get you banned, especially if the content is illegal.

If you're still having trouble connecting, I suggest you visit the IT Centre in either the CSI or Daedalus buildings, whichever is closer. Don't bother with ILTG...

Advertisement