Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Desire battery

• 28-02-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Been thinking about getting the Desire although after hearing some bad press about the battery life being poor, am kinda reluctant now to get it! Anyone with experience with this phone have any major problems with it? I was talkin to a guy in an o2 shop about it and he said he knew someone who had the Desire HD and used a blackberry charger and got about 2 days out of it..anyone done this with the desire?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭EoghanConway

Desire, desire hd and most blackberrys charge over micro usb... doesn't matter what charger you use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Desire, desire hd and most blackberrys charge over micro usb... doesn't matter what charger you use.
    Take THAT O2 shop guy.

I really hate it when they make up stuff to sell you on something. I'm sure he already had a 'Blackberry charger' out for you to buy with your phone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭smithirl

Take THAT O2 shop guy.

I really hate it when they make up stuff to sell you on something. I'm sure he already had a 'Blackberry charger' out for you to buy with your phone too.

Thanks for the replies lads.
    So is it true? will the blackberry charger improve the battery by a lot? The auld fella has a BB so happy days if so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The battery is fine unless you intend using the thing literally every second of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Since it uses the same connection type/charger, I doubt it very highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I have a HTC Desire and the battery life is poor usually less than 8 hours with average usage. I used to have a Blackberry and battery life was 2 days. I used the old BB charger with the HTC desire and it makes no difference. I only survive with my HTC as I have a car charger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

thegills wrote: »
    I have a HTC Desire and the battery life is poor usually less than 8 hours with average usage. I used to have a Blackberry and battery life was 2 days. I used the old BB charger with the HTC desire and it makes no difference. I only survive with my HTC as I have a car charger.
    lol, 8 hours with average usage? You're having a laugh tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

I also have the Desire and it's true that the battery life is not it's strong point. However, I would always usually get more than eight hours out of it. I tend to charge it every night and I would get the whole of the next day out of it no problem.
    Obviously using wi-fi etc. will drain the battery quicker, so it's worth installing one of the app killers so that you can control/switch off apps that are needlessly running in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

i can squeeze just about two days on my desire and thats just with the juice defender free version settings of knocking off WiFi 3g etc wen the screen is locked.i do alot of texting emailing fb'in and angry birds'n. 8 hours is ridiculous claim IMO for average use unless your leaving the flashlight app on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I use WiFi and bluetooth so maybe thats why I get about 8 hours. I also used them on the BB but still got two days. mates also have the iPhone and get 1.5 days. If battery is important I wouldn't go with the HTC.

The app killer is OK but I find that is you kill a few apps you will find them all alive and well a few minutes later.

And when I click on power consumption it says that voice calls eat up 46% and the Android system uses up 21%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I had to send my HTC back to O2 because it stopped holding a charge .... it was bought 31 December 2010 .... and was given back for repair on 9 Feb 2011.

Am not very happy especially considering I only use the phone for telephone calls, texts and random internet access (if required) .... at the moment I wont be getting another HTC as it should not take almost a month to repair.... especially since O2 have told me (after I called for an update) ... they simply just replaced the part and it should be sent back to the shop within 4/5 days

EDIT: as for battery life.... while only making calls/texts I would get 24-30hours ... with internet access I'd get 24hours and I would charge it because it was almost out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Has anyone tried this Desire battery?

<$6 delivered - I'm thinking it might be worth a shot

http://www.buyincoins.com/details/battery-htc-desire-bravo-g7-a8181-google-nexus-one-g5-product-2181.html

groom wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this Desire battery?

<$6 delivered - I'm thinking it might be worth a shot

http://www.buyincoins.com/details/battery-htc-desire-bravo-g7-a8181-google-nexus-one-g5-product-2181.html

Is it a better battery than the existing one, or are they marketing just as a back up,spare battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

ElectraX wrote: »
    Is it a better battery than the existing one, or are they marketing just as a back up,spare battery?

It's 1400mAh like the stock one so just a back up I presume. Was just wondering if anyone had gotten one from that website. Is the website legit and are the batteries any good?

The battery has a HTC logo and presumably it isn't made by HTC so the web site must be somewhat slightly dodgy

groom wrote: »
    It's 1400mAh like the stock one so just a back up I presume. Was just wondering if anyone had gotten one from that website. Is the website legit and are the batteries any good?

The battery has a HTC logo and presumably it isn't made by HTC so the web site must be somewhat slightly dodgy

Had a quick check on Google, and reviews of buying from this website seem to be pretty positive. Looks legit anyway, and prices are pretty good. Might be worth a go:D

http://starboykb.blogspot.com/2010/07/buyincoins-online-shop-review.html

Advertisement