Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now 3 County TD's. What "grace" period do we give them?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

People,

We now have 3 sitting County TD''s. Considering the state of the work situation in Waterford, what do we deem as acceptable time wise for actual action, and not talk, to actually getting us some industry and employment back to the region?

In fairness to Cullen when he was sitting, he actually did do a lot for Waterford City mainly, despite what some may think.

Granted Deasy may not get a good (if any) portfolio, considering his FG history, but in fairness, he is there long enough now, and imho has done shag all for us locally as an elected rep. His honeymoon is long and truly over.

Coffey did a lot of talk, does anyone believe he has the wit and ability to follow through?

I admit I know very little about Conway, but she is now sitting so she has a steep learning curve ahead of her.

Collectively, I believe, party politics, and ego, must be brushed aside and they must unite in the single goal of working FOR US, as they were elected to do.

I have no interest in hearing the repeated mantra of "FF have left us in this situation and our hands are tied..." etc etc.
    I have no interest in listening to a "blame game" for the next couple of years.
    I have no interest in hearing about commissioned reports by some Dublin based firm of consultants about what may be possible, but considering fiscal constraints, solutions will be put on the long finger.

I have interest in obtaining gainful employment, like the majority of this fine county, and soon. Very soon.

Deasy / Coffey / Conway: Ask not what your county can do for you, (that part of the deal has been executed), but what you can NOW do for your county.

WE NEED JOBS, AND NOW.

Discuss...........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God bless you! ;)

Our reps will only be of any parochical value if they are in a position of power. The best that can be hoped for is a single junior portfoilo, possibly something like Minister for Swings and Roundabouts. They will not be delivering jobs - the economy does that. The fate of a University is in the hands of a committee and expert group as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

This time around I see one big difference, now that those 4 have got the high paying jobs, results are expected of them. They are under the spotlight and they will have to be seen to attend the dail, they will have to be seen to make noises for their locality.

Gone are the days where the next time we hear about any of the TD's is at the next election. These 4 are being held accountable for the large pay packet they are about to start drawing down.

The very least we should expect from each of them is a monthly column in one of the local papers to update the public on what exactly they have been doing for the pay we are giving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

personally I hope the days of ministers diverting funds to buy votes for themselves are over, otherwise we've learnt nothing. So fund and resources should go where they best benefit both local and national.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

the two fine gael fellas are 2 thicks who dislike each other, one a rebel without a cause and one a brown noser for Enda Kenny

jury is out on Conway

not really filled with confidence they will make any change to the local scene

handy paycheck for them for the coming years though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

We will hear that FF excuse for at least 3 years I feel - can't wait to see who the FG Councillors will look to blame on Facebook next time there is a snowy winter and we have no grit.

If Waterford doesn't get a University, I hope FG get no TD's here next time

I don't expect to hear of Conway until January 2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Nearly cried when I saw the ballot, Wexford gets two cabinet positions , Waterford three pothole fillers, I doubt one of the four will have any infleunce.

Advertisement