Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External hard drive query

• 28-02-2011 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My 7 year old DELL Dimension 8300 pc is getting very slow and keeps freezing. I have Kapersky internet security on it which is showing no infection so I believe the pc's problems are down to the hard drive only having 8GB of free space left. If I install an external hard drive and transfer data over to it, will this help the pc operate better? What hard drive would you recommend and where to buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The fact that it's a 7 year old PC would have a hell of a lot more to do with it...
    Moving some stuff to an external drive might help a little, but to be honest I'd be looking more towards backing everything up and doing a fresh install of Windows.

Try running something like CC cleaner to remove any unnecessary files and registry entries first off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Reinstalling a fresh copy of windows will speed it up a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I run cc cleaner on a regular basis so its not old files clogging it up.

I'd have no idea how to do a fresh install of windows as I'm fairly computer illiterate I'm afraid.

And I can't afford a new pc so that option is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

I run cc cleaner on a regular basis so its not old files clogging it up.

I'd have no idea how to do a fresh install of windows as I'm fairly computer illiterate I'm afraid.

And I can't afford a new pc so that option is out.

Store you files on an external disc and that should free up a lot of space. You can also do a disk cleanup, removing *.tmp files etc with CC Cleaner.

To do a fresh install you will need an install disk. You will find a small Microsoft sticker underneath the laptop. I believe that Dell put that sticker inside the panel for the battery.

This will show which operating you are running. Could be XP Home, XP Professional, Vista Home etc. You will need the disk corresponding to your OS.

Anyone here should be able to lend you a copy. Your sticker will show the installation (registration) number which you need to enter when installing and which is legal so don't worry about the disk copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If you're talkin about buying drives or doing clean installs, it'd make much more sense to buy a new internal drive and do a clean install of Windows onto it.

You won't have to worry about space because modern drives are miles bigger than whatever you have from 7 years ago. They're miles faster too.

• Advertisement

If you're talkin about buying drives or doing clean installs, it'd make much more sense to buy a new internal drive and do a clean install of Windows onto it.

You won't have to worry about space because modern drives are miles bigger than whatever you have from 7 years ago. They're miles faster too.

Will his seven year old drive be SATA or IDE? It is recommended to have a backup of your work on a separate drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

My 7 year old DELL Dimension 8300 pc is getting very slow and keeps freezing. I have Kapersky internet security on it which is showing no infection so I believe the pc's problems are down to the hard drive only having 8GB of free space left. If I install an external hard drive and transfer data over to it, will this help the pc operate better? What hard drive would you recommend and where to buy?

Check if you have dell pc restore by symantec on your computer.
    I have a dell dimension thats 5 years old and had to reinstall recently for similar reasons. Now its nice and quick again.
    The way it works for me was: 1.switsh off computer. 2.Switch on again and when the dell logo appears on the screen press and hold the F11 button and the Ctrl button. You will then get a dialogue box with the option to do a full restore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

bette wrote: »
    Will his seven year old drive be SATA or IDE? It is recommended to have a backup of your work on a separate drive.

I'd just open it up and have a look, see what's there and what is occupied.

According to the Dell specs there's two SATA-150 ports but I don't know if the Dimension 8300 is just a generic name that could have had various components.

I'd just open it up and have a look, see what's there and what is occupied.

According to the Dell specs there's two SATA-150 ports but I don't know if the Dimension 8300 is just a generic name that could have had various components.

Good man! I was thinking it was a laptop. Now that it's a tower the OP could simply get a SATA disk and transfer his/her stuff to that. Then the fresh install and a nice new speedy system.

OP, any problems, don't hesitate to ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks guys. Will look to see if I still have the original windows XP home disk someplace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement