Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one grade off a 2.1

Options
  • 28-02-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

so is it worth trying a recheck? Im on 3.0666667 and need a 0.2 bump in something for a 2.1. Like a move from a D to a D+

they are final results

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No harm in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If you do appeal, you will have to come up with a good reason as appealing becasue you are close to a 2.1 isn't allowed:
    Q2. CAN I APPEAL TO GET A HIGHER G.P.A.?
    A2. No. Appealing because you are close to a higher grade or GPA is not a valid ground for an appeal. Any appeal made on this basis will be returned to you. Questions about your GPA and how it was calculated are to be addressed to your School / Programme Office.

http://www.ucd.ie/appeals/faq.htm

These are the circumstances under which you can appeal:

Irregularity
    i) There is evidence of substantive irregularity in the conduct of the assessment process. An irregularity might be, for example, a significant error on the exam paper or misleading directions given before or during the assessment.

Extenuating Circumstances
    ii) In the first instance, appeals of this nature must be dealt with at School level by submitting an Extenuating Circumstances Form to the Programme Office. The Assessment Appeals Office can only accept an appeal on this basis if it has already been dealt with by the Programme Examination Board (PEB) or by the Dean. Appeals of this nature can be accepted if the PEB did not appreciate the seriousness of the extenuating circumstances OR if the Dean rejected your extenuating circumstances application because you did not submit the form on time and the Dean did not consider your reason for late submission to be valid.

In the context of an appeal, extenuating circumstances refer to a serious and unforeseen event in which you suffered from an illness or some personal or family trauma around the time of the assessment of which the examiners were unaware. You must have original medical certificates / police reports (etc.) to support your case and the illness or trauma must be shown to have affected you in the assessment itself or in the period immediately leading up to it.

Incorrect grade
    iii) Following the findings of the School’s examination review process, a claim is made, on stated grounds, that the grade awarded is incorrect. An appeal on these grounds can only be made after you have contacted the school responsible for the assessment, inspected your script, seen how marks or grades were awarded and had your examination grade/mark explained to you by an examiner, preferably the module coordinator. An appeal based on this ground will require a coherent letter of appeal which is specific in terms of which parts of the assessment you know were marked incorrectly and which fully outlines the academic reasons why this is so. Drafting an appropriate letter to appeal on this ground will take some time and effort.

Please note, that appeals on the basis of Grade Point Average (GPA) will not be considered. Being close to a higher GPA is not a ground for appeal and such appeal applications will be returned.

http://www.ucd.ie/appeals/exam_appeal.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

woop wrote: »
    so is it worth trying a recheck? Im on 3.0666667 and need a 0.2 bump in something for a 2.1. Like a move from a D to a D+

they are final results

Don't mind the regulations. Of course you can appeal for a higher GPA, you obviously just don't say that.
    Go and see all the papers of yours that you can and if reasonable ask for informal reviews from your lecturers, in that way you shouldn't have to pay or risk going down a grade.

I don't know what year you are in but the difference between a 2.1 and a 2.2 can mean a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I wasn't saying don't appeal, he definitely should. Was just pointing out that he should disguise it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I wasn't saying don't appeal, he definitely should. Was just pointing out that he should disguise it :)

I don't understand - why should he appeal it? He's a D student who'd just be wasting the time of the examination board and the programme office when they could be helping people with genuine problems or grounds for appeal.

If he wanted a 2:1 he should have put in a better effort like the rest of us. If he had genuine reasons for getting those grades he'd submit for extenuating circumstances, but he doesn't. He just didn't work hard enough and now he's got what he deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

thanks everyone
    I don't understand - why should he appeal it? He's a D student who'd just be wasting the time of the examination board and the programme office when they could be helping people with genuine problems or grounds for appeal.

If he wanted a 2:1 he should have put in a better effort like the rest of us. If he had genuine reasons for getting those grades he'd submit for extenuating circumstances, but he doesn't. He just didn't work hard enough and now he's got what he deserved.

I guess I did, but what did you do to be blessed with such ignorance my fellow ape

Id like to apologise for that remark actually and explain a little. Its not necessary but you have made many assumptions in the above statement that illustrate this. The first being that I am male, second that I am a D student I did not say I got a D, I said that a grade bump from say for example a D to a D+ would put me into a 2.1. I fully understand if you dont have the depth to understand this. My gpa is borderline 2.1 therefore between a C+ and a B- average, but you obviously dont have experience in these matters so your advice is not needed thank you very much. It is easy to be opinionated.

The third assumption is that somebody wants to hear what you say. I was looking for advice, you have no understanding of my actual circumstances and if you did theres no need to be a prick about it but good luck with your life I really do wish that you have an enlightening experience in college.

ok and if you didnt understand anything past the first sentence, I refer you to this mocking image which describes much of what I am thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

isn't that only your GPA for first semester? Your degree is an average over two semesters, s if you get a little bit over a 2.1 this semester you'll get your 2.1 overall?

Apologies if that's your final result from last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I guess I did, but what did you do to be blessed with such ignorance my fellow ape

Id like to apologise for that remark actually and explain a little. Its not necessary but you have made many assumptions in the above statement that illustrate this. The first being that I am male, second that I am a D student I did not say I got a D, I said that a grade bump from say for example a D to a D+ would put me into a 2.1. I fully understand if you dont have the depth to understand this. My gpa is borderline 2.1 therefore between a C+ and a B- average, but you obviously dont have experience in these matters so your advice is not needed thank you very much. It is easy to be opinionated.

The third assumption is that somebody wants to hear what you say. I was looking for advice, you have no understanding of my actual circumstances and if you did theres no need to be a prick about it but good luck with your life I really do wish that you have an enlightening experience in college.

ok and if you didnt understand anything past the first sentence, I refer you to this mocking image which describes much of what I am thinking

OK whilst that poster may have been needlessly rude (as you are in your reply), it did raise a fair point in that you need an actual reason to appeal a grade. Make sure that you actually have one and are not just appealing because you would like a higher grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

they are final results

It's amazing how a few people starting ranting about the merits and demerits of an appeal when you never mentioned an appeal.

Is it worth a recheck? Definitely. The very least you should be doing is getting a copy of your scripts and checking them over. Then if that raises any anomalies you can raise it with the relevant school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Statistical and marking error is commonplace in almost every exam that can incorporate corrector bias.

As a student, your grades are your currency. Your job is to look after yourself, number one.

If you listen to anyone about not getting rechecks on the basis of fairness or some other sense of justice crap, you're only spiting yourself and allowing yourself to potentially get a lesser product, for what you paid for.
    Get the best degree results and skills you can while you're in college, it could really count when you leave.

Appeal for a higher grade if you want to try for one and tell them that you think the grade awarded to you was unfair.

The first step is looking at your script with your lecturer anyway, which is informal and then you can make your decision based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

OK whilst that poster may have been needlessly rude (as you are in your reply), it did raise a fair point in that you need an actual reason to appeal a grade. Make sure that you actually have one and are not just appealing because you would like a higher grade.

yup that poster raised no point which hadn't been previously pointed out, weebushy made this perfectly clear without being an ass or raising comment. Hence why I was being rude. Being rude by its very nature is needless :P it is however pointless unless you achieve something

thanks everybody

Advertisement