Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Film Festival

Options
  • 28-02-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Now the election is over,have to look for a new subject to moan about.Actually forget the moaning,will look for something optimistic to post.

Was at the castle the weekend for a leisurely stroll and was thinking that the bottom half of the grounds would lend itself nicely to an outdoor screen for movies in the summer. I'm talking about the hill, that is about half way down the grounds (there is a bench up at the top of it). Place a giant screen at the top and below would become a nice natural amphitheatre.

Would be nice venue to screen some kind of film festival in the summer. Could draw lots of people to the area. surely the council would not object as it would have to help certain businesses.

Not sure if I have explained this well, anyway it is helping blow away the election blues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I would love that :D It's a brilliant idea and great way to meet people and socialize. We could have a boardsie group going :)

How difficult would it be to set it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Thanks for the enthusiastic response.Half wondered if I was mad.Once one person likes it I'm only half mad.Not sure how you would go about it but there is undoubtedly a lot of people in Kilkenny very good at organizing events.I know there are some guys planning on building a drive in cinema experience in Cork(seemingly it is popular in Germany at the moment) and surely it would be a nice distraction on a long summer evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You should post this in the film forum as well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=642

I am sure their are people their involved in film festivals that can help you with the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Brilliant idea.

I'd guess that one of the biggest obstacles would be insurance. Might be worth speaking with people who have organised other public events in Kilkenny to see if it is an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Brilliant :D Could you keep me updated on this if you can, I'm very interested :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Excellent idea, depending on film and weather, one you can influence more than the other!! ;). Can't see why it wouldn't meet with a favourable response though, terrific use of a great open space in the middle of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Brilliant idea, even at the other end at the castle would work I think. I think there was a big screen set up there for arts week before. It's all the rage in Berlin, it's great to be able to watch a movie outside on a summers evening.

hFriedrichshain

Kreuzberg

hasenheide

Anyone know how much this type of equipment costs?

http://openaircinema.org/cinebox/

It looks like something similar is run in Dún Laoghaire every summer by dlr events. I just emailed them asking where they get their equipment and roughly how much it costs to hire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 spezi

this is a fantastic idea:D! Where I come from there is open air cinema at the castle throughout the whole summer. The screen is HUGE (24x10m) and we'd picnic during the screenings, it is fantastic.
    Few problems you might encounter while planning such even in Kilkenny would be the weather and fact that it would have to be quite late as it gets dark pretty late this part of the world I find. Insurance and permission to do that is another thing. But I am sure there is plenty of people who would welcome such thing as part of Kilkenny summer. Keep us posted please and I'd love to get involved if you need any help with it:D

• Advertisement

Anyone know how much this type of equipment costs?

http://openaircinema.org/cinebox/

www.openaircinema.us

It looks like a full kit would cost anywhere from about $12k to $70k depending on the screen size and 1080p/720p projector, sub woofer etc. The screens come in loads of sizes up to 40'x25'.

So which one of you is going to cough up the €60k to buy one of these!?!

Edit: I haven't had a reply from dlr events yet so I'm not sure if you can get anything like this in Ireland atm.

Anyone been to these gardens?

http://killrudderyarts.com/filmfestival/

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Remember there were drive-in movies in Thomastown last year or the year before , same equiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FozzyJericho

Hey, I am moving to Kilkenny in the next few weeks and if anyone would like to get something like this started I would be on for helping organise, I am have helped set up many events and I have a fully trained projectionist as well so would love to get involved !!

Ok,now i am feeling the guilt on this as I just mooted the idea in the hope that someone with the expertise would take up the baton and run with it.I know nothing about how you would organise such an event but seeing that so many of you are enthusiastic about offering up your time to get involved in it,I felt it would be a shame to just leave it in 'boardspace'.

I have put out some feelers to the experts and am working on getting some people with contacts to see how you would actually go about arranging this.

I will keep you posted on any progress and hopefully there will be a way for people to get involved that have expressed an interest on here.

Unfortunately my favourite film will never be screened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54jn0_ugqco

Don't feel guilty about it, it really is a great idea which is why so many people are willing to get involved, we'd all love to see it happen.

I think the main things are equipment and where to source it, who pays for it or how to pay for it and secondly where to hold it. The Castle park was mentioned and I think it would be a perfect place but how do you go about getting permission to hold it there?

I guess thats what you mean when you say you're looking for experts. I of course would be delighted to help get this off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 2xensemble

JoseJones wrote: »
    It looks like something similar is run in Dún Laoghaire every summer by dlr events. I just emailed them asking where they get their equipment and roughly how much it costs to hire.

Im actually looking to hire one of these screens myself for a private function, did you happen to find out the name of the company? Thanks in advance:D

Advertisement