Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning a new private hedge

Options
  • 28-02-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I planted a bareroot privet hedge last November. They are 0.6 - 1 meter high whips. I only want the hedge to be just over 1 meter high when it is finished. Looks like it made it through the winter, kept its leaves and there are some new buds starting. Just wondering if I should prune it at all or just leave it grow? Would it be good to give it a feed of blood, fish and bone? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I hate the way posts remain unanswered like this.I have a 2.5 year privet headge which is small but getting there..this is the first year i have gotten some good growth. I propagated mine from cuttings mostly and i am giving the a good cutting back to encourage them to spread out at the base and I am growing them in a conical shape to let as much light to the base as possible until they are sturdy enough. can you post a pic of yours so i can see what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Redser

a light monthly feed (FB&B is ideal) would be ideal and water in well. Growth should be strong now but I would do only light selective cuts to achieve even growth (mainly sides and occasional top shoots). Wait until hedge becomes well established ie 12-18 months before more regularing cutting/trimming will be required.

Growth should be even from base so don't allow any leggy growth to develop.

Water ground before and after feeding.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks both. Wildlifeboy, it is not an issue as such, I just wasn't sure whether to prune at all in the first year of planting. Thanks SB, I'll continue with monthly BFB feedings, and leave it more or less alone for a while.

Advertisement