Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activating a second year working holiday Visa

Options
  • 28-02-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi just wondering does anyone know if you can activate a second year working holiday Visa in Australia while over there on a 3 month holiday Visa, or would you have to leave the country and re-enter to activate it.

I have my 3 months seasonal work completed.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Did you do the three months while on the three month holiday visa?
    As far as i know you can apply online while in oz on your first whv, don't see how it would be any different as i think they just update the visa information electronically on your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

robbie.dub wrote: »
    Hi just wondering does anyone know if you can activate a second year working holiday Visa in Australia while over there on a 3 month holiday Visa, or would you have to leave the country and re-enter to activate it.

I have my 3 months seasonal work completed.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Robert

I don't get what you mean. If you have completed your 3 months seasonal work then why are you on a 3 month holiday visa. If you've done the 3 months seasonal work on as holiday visa you will probably be deported and banned for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Has your first working holiday visa expired? Is that why you're on the holiday visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Looking at

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

and one of the points
    be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia, if applying from outside Australia

You might be able to apply for 2nd WHV in Australia

As long as you
    * have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday (417) visa (there is no requirement to do further specified work on the second visa)
    * not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (462) visa
    * be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying, however, you may be aged over 30 years of age at the time your visa is granted
    * be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia, if applying from outside Australia
    * will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia
    Note: A dependent child is the child, or step-child, of you or your partner who:
    o is not married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship
    o has not turned 18.

Best thing to do is contact the nearest Department of Immigrations and they will let you know for sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

aido79 wrote: »
    I don't get what you mean. If you have completed your 3 months seasonal work then why are you on a 3 month holiday visa. If you've done the 3 months seasonal work on as holiday visa you will probably be deported and banned for 3 years.

I'm guessing he wants to spend 3 months on a holiday visa and then go onto the second year WHV effictively giving him 15 months in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbie.dub

Hi, sorry for the late response.

Yes ive already done my first year working holiday visa with the 3 months seasonal work done in this year.

I am in Ireland at the moment and am planning on going to see a friend in Queensland in the next few months on a holiday Visa. But If I like Queensland and I think i will find work there I want to be able to activate my second year working holiday visa which I am entitled to get.

So the question is if I can activate the second working holiday visa while on a 3 month holiday visa without having to leave the country?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

robbie.dub wrote: »
    Hi, sorry for the late response.

Yes ive already done my first year working holiday visa with the 3 months seasonal work done in this year.

I am in Ireland at the moment and am planning on going to see a friend in Queensland in the next few months on a holiday Visa. But If I like Queensland and I think i will find work there I want to be able to activate my second year working holiday visa which I am entitled to get.

So the question is if I can activate the second working holiday visa while on a 3 month holiday visa without having to leave the country?

Thanks again

I suppose if you have enough money to prove to the migrations that you can support yourself for the 3 months holiday you might be able to do that.

But again best thing is to check with the experts. Australian Embassy in Dublin should be able to tell you one way or the other I’m sure .

Embassy address: 7th Floor, Fitzwilton House, Wilton Terrace, Dublin 2 - Telephone: 664 5300 - Fax: 662 3566

Let us know what they say would be a help for other in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cacocolaf16

Does anyone know if you can actually do this? It would be a great help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I'd imagine you have to apply for it offshore as the first WHV has expired.

Jetstar have a NZ flight sale on at the moment if that helps!!! $210 return!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does anyone know if you can actually do this? It would be a great help
    No you can't do that.
    I don't know why it took 10 posts to point this out.

To apply for a 2nd WHV you have to be outside the country, or in the country on your first 417 visa.
    If you enter on a holiday visa, you'll need to visa run to NZ. Probably a good option really. Flights are cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement