Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free puppies on shop street

Options
  • 28-02-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Walking down shop street at lunch and noticed a bit of comotion outside the corner opposite griffins bakery.
    A fella had a large cardboard box with free puppies written on it.
    Thought it was a wind up for ragg week but no kid you not he had a couple of puppies he wanted rid of and the mother with him as a demo.
    All the pi-sed students were playing around with them,have to say I was shocked as anyone could take one he just wanted rid of them.
    Just hope someone from ispcc got in there to stop the circus act,did anyone else see it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Hmmm, not the best way to go about it I must admit but better than submerging them in the Corrib.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I see nothing too wrong with it tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

Just hope someone from ispcc got in there to stop the circus act,did anyone else see it?
    Did you ring the ISPCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

snubbleste wrote: »
    I see nothing too wrong with it tbh.

During Rag week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This may probably come as a shock to you but not everything revolves around some educational institution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

My fear is that he will just give them to any Joe soap who might think it's a great idea and have good intentions but realise that they need a lot if care and attention then dump the little scamps.
    Tbh it's a terrible way to go about re-homeing the animals,their not a toy it was set up like a yard sale.
    I got dogs myself and know of many other repondible ways to go about this than just giving to strangers.
    The week that's in it a coue of students were debating about taking one back up to corrib village.
    Where do ya think that puppy is going to end up once the management company find out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ISPCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Yeah, shocking alright that anyone could of taken one, because everyone who advertisers puppies, for sale or otherwise, in a newspaper, always employs rigorous background checks on the suitability on all potential buyers.

Did you ring the ISPCC?

Stopped a guard on quay street and asked her to go up and check it out.
    Not sure what happened after that,why I am wandering did anyone else see what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Mactard wrote: »
    ISPCC?

The Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Camels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

snubbleste wrote: »
    This may probably come as a shock to you but not everything revolves around some educational institution.

Oh, I know that.
    But if you've wandered down Shop Street during Rag week recently you might agree that the proportion of people willing to take a puppy and the proportion of people you wouldn't trust with a puppy have both increased substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Did you try ringing Joe Duffy?

I wouldn't ring that twat Duffy fir anything no offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Nothing wrong with giving away pups in town, in my eyes. It's not up to the owner to ensure the takers are responsible.

May as well rename the thread "People are being irresponsible."

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

beagle001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't ring that twat Duffy fir anything no offense.

I think the poster was making fun of you so wouldn't take any offence ;)

Fair play to the owner for actually trying to give the pups to people rather than abandon them to the pound where they'd probably be put down or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Maybe it was a case of well-intentioned ignorance.

In this day and age of technology, communications, etc., you'd think most people would have figured out that there are better ways of finding suitable homes for puppies other than offering them to Joe Phecker on the street.:mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ficheall wrote: »
    Oh, I know that.
    But if you've wandered down Shop Street during Rag week recently you might agree that the proportion of people willing to take a puppy and the proportion of people you wouldn't trust with a puppy have both increased substantially.
    I've also noted that the number of puppies available on Shop Street has increased due to Rag Week. Coincidence? I think not.

It's quote obvious that there's an alcohol fueled puppy farm in operation for this one week of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe it was a case of well-intentioned ignorance.

In this day and age of technology, communications, etc., you'd think most people would have figured out that there are better ways of finding suitable homes for puppies other than offering them to Joe Phecker on the street.:mad:

The only guaranteed difference between Joe Phecker on the street and Josephine Phecker in/on (Facebook, adverts.ie, the Galway Advertiser, etc) is that Josephine can read and use the telephone - or that she has a friend who can. Doesn't necessarily mean she'll be any better at caring for dogs (or cats, or children even).

FWIW, we let any old "phecker" make babies and take them home from the hospital. Imagine what would happen if parents were subjected to the same degree of scrutiny that some people think prospective dog owners should face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

giving something away for free always arouses suspicion. he should have sold them for a euro a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

A very irresponsible approach. There are scumbags out there stealing dogs to burn them up in partciular areas of Galway for instance and there is no vetting going on of the people getting these dogs. The guy could've given them to the GSPCA who would have looked after the dogs until they could give them a proper home. If you see anything like this again, contact the GSPCA at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]091 xxx or go down to the shop and report it directly. Fair dues to whoever brought it up with the Guard they spotted but i doubt they did very much about it apart from telling them to move on.
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

That's a really interesting post, I like the way you think.

I think it could be however, due to the size of your font. Maybe it seems like you're more forceful in your ideas and opinions. They're not in caps, so it's not like your shouting or shoving your point down my throat, but it just makes me think you're more fervent and passionate about what you believe.

Or it could be that frog I just licked.

People don't burn dogs in <snip>. There's no point wasting perfectly good meat. Maybe a light charring to get that barbecue'd taste right, but not burned.

That wasn't my intention, i pasted in the phone number and it changed the font size (by what, 1?) so i just highlighted everything and matched it.Anyway, I've edited the font size.

drum! wrote: »
    A very irresponsible approach. There are scumbags out there stealing dogs to burn them up in <snip> for instance

Quite an accusation there, any truth to it or is it just what you heard down the pub?.

<snip> gets an unfair amount of bashing around here.

So, seeing as you have explicitly named <snip> as the area where burning of dogs occurs, I suggest you post an undisputed source to back up your claims or kindly remove your comment.

Sorry if i've offended you by naming *edit* that particular area of Galway. I was simply giving an example of a place in Galway where kids have been known to steal and burn animals, especially around Halloween. This is also a reason why many responsible animals owners do not post ads for selling/giving away animals around Halloween. I'm sure <snip> is not the only place this happens but it was the only place i heard of it happening. I will not name my source, that wouldn't be fair but i can say they are linked with an animal protection group and the dog warden in Galway. I won't be removing the comment unless directed by a mod.

Just because you disagree with something or are a bit sensitive about an area of Galway, doesn't mean you yourself should accuse people of posting baseless information by default. Do you know for absolute certain this doesn't happen there or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

drum, unless you have an linkable source to back you up I'd ask you to remove the name of the estate, thanks.
    Otherwise it's just hearsay.

Fair enough Biko, the area of Galway has been removed.

drum! wrote: »

Just because you disagree with something or are a bit sensitive about an area of Galway, doesn't mean you yourself should accuse people of posting baseless information by default. Do you know for absolute certain this doesn't happen there or something?

First of all I didn't disagree, nor did agree with your post; I questioned it.

Neither did I accuse you of posting baseless information; I asked for a proven source.

And furthermore, as it was yourself who brought up the alleged issue in question. The obligation lies with you to authenticate such claims, and not with me to disprove them.

Your post count suggests you may be relatively new to internet forum discussions, as I am, and so may not be fully aware for the charter rules and general etiquette.
    However the great thing about posting in boards.ie, and one of the reasons I like the site so much, is that you have to up your game and level of articulation. Otherwise more eloquent posters will rip your input to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Living in Galway all my life and never heard of that dog story, its pure fiction. and thanks Biko for the edit its a shame that people will post items that they cant back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Why has nobody asked what kind of puppies they were?

... upon realising the kind of smart answer I'd get ...

What kind of puppies were they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

JustMary wrote: »
    The only guaranteed difference between Joe Phecker on the street and Josephine Phecker in/on (Facebook, adverts.ie, the Galway Advertiser, etc) is that Josephine can read and use the telephone - or that she has a friend who can. Doesn't necessarily mean she'll be any better at caring for dogs (or cats, or children even).

Another difference is that the person who has deliberately sought a dog on the likes of adverts/donedeal/etc. has thought about getting one and therefore thought of the costs and considerations involved in getting one. (you would hope... though, admittedly, not always)

Offering puppies for free on the street is more likely to lead to impulsive adopting of puppies without due consideration of the responsibilities that comes with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement