Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recepie for a tasty potato bake?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon :)

Would anyone know a receipe for the above? I get little trays of garlic potato bake in my local butchers. Just put in oven and it cooks up nicely but id like to try my own now.

Would anyone have a recepie handy for a garlic potato bake? as they taste lovely!

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is insanely, savagely good.

My oven doesn't go down to 1/2 but I have cooked it really low for 3-4 hours and it's amazing. Don't skimp on the nutmeg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/gratinofpotatoes_80466

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My mum does one that is SERIOUSLY AMAZING but you wouldnt want to be having too often!

She par boils a good few potatoes, then slices them thinly and layers them in a quiche dish (large one). She seasons the potatoes, as she layers them, with garlic salt and scatters over grated cheddar on each layer. Then she pours over a carton of cream and puts more grated cheddar on top and puts in the oven for around 40 minutes i think (until the top is brown and the cheese is bubbling). It's HEAVEN!! Make sure you put a nice bit of garlic salt on it or alternatively you can always chop up some fresh garlic but i think there's a stronger garlic flavour with the salt and I LOVE garlic but don't like bits of it floating around so that's why we don't use fresh garlic.

We only usually have it for Easter and Christmas though - too high on the aul calories:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

leahyl wrote: »
    My mum does one that is SERIOUSLY AMAZING but you wouldnt want to be having too often!

She par boils a good few potatoes, then slices them thinly and layers them in a quiche dish (large one). She seasons the potatoes, as she layers them, with garlic salt and scatters over grated cheddar on each layer. Then she pours over a carton of cream and puts more grated cheddar on top and puts in the oven for around 40 minutes i think (until the top is brown and the cheese is bubbling). It's HEAVEN!! Make sure you put a nice bit of garlic salt on it or alternatively you can always chop up some fresh garlic but i think there's a stronger garlic flavour with the salt and I LOVE garlic but don't like bits of it floating around so that's why we don't use fresh garlic.

We only usually have it for Easter and Christmas though - too high on the aul calories:D

Wow..thanks for taking the time to write that out for me :) My mouth was watering just reading that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I love potato bake but often don't have the time or patience to be peeling, parboiling and slicing a load of potatoes, so that's when I do this.

Preheat your oven to 200. Take some baby new potatoes and cut into chunks. Boil until tender (about ten mins). Drain and toss into an ovenproof dish. Crush some cloves of garlic over and season with salt and pepper. Add some cream and toss together well. Top with grated cheese of your choice and bake until golden and bubbly. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Preheat your oven to 200. Take some baby new potatoes and cut into chunks. Boil until tender (about ten mins). Drain and toss into an ovenproof dish. Crush some cloves of garlic over and season with salt and pepper. Add some cream and toss together well. Top with grated cheese of your choice and bake until golden and bubbly. Delicious.

Exactly what I do!! :D I must emphasise the difference using cream makes as opposed to using milk. I used milk for a long time before realising the huge difference cream makes to the recipe. I served this to family on Sunday along with some striploin steak, no matter how big a dish of garlic potatoes I make the dish is always empty at the end of the meal, such a simple but gorgeous recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sunnyd_ie

here's a very easy one that's handy with the likes of steak as it doesn't take long to cook. Slice the potatoes (no need to par boil) - we only use about 3 layers of potatoes. For each layer add salt and pepper and garlic if you like. Fill with cream and microwave for 15 to 20 mins. Once the potatoes are cooked through finish under the grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Surprisely apart from Heston recipe nobody has mentioned the ideal potato variety to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What do you suggest yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well depends what you want

If you like baby potatoes that have a waxy texture usually Nicola, Maris Peer or Charlotte are ideal. The two varieties Heston recommends are red skinned varieties similiar in dry matter to Rooster which is a good all rounder. Kerr's Pinks can be good too. The old wives trick with Pinks is the more scabby skin to the potato, the more floury it tastes but of course we buy with our eyes.

Advertisement