Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

I feel so silly posting this question, feeling the answer is going to be obvious, but here goes.
    Today I started knitting a cowl, using a lace stitch tutorial from YouTube, I seem to be following the video exactly..but have ended up with almost four times the amount of stitches I started out with! It looks really nice, but will soon be big enough to use as a blanket.
    Help me please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

kinkygirl wrote: »
    I feel so silly posting this question, feeling the answer is going to be obvious, but here goes.
    Today I started knitting a cowl, using a lace stitch tutorial from YouTube, I seem to be following the video exactly..but have ended up with almost four times the amount of stitches I started out with! It looks really nice, but will soon be big enough to use as a blanket.
    Help me please? :)

Post up the pattern.

Post up the pattern.

Cast on in multiples of 4 + 2. Row 1 K1 *K2,yon twice, K2tog; repeat from * to last stitch, k1
    Row2: P1, *P2,K1,P1; rep from * to last stitch, P1

He tells you to repeat the two rows until you've reached the desired length.

Seems easy enough. I might pick up that pattern!!

So you cast on in multiples of 6. How many sts did you cast on?

Knit the first st. From the * you then k2, then yarn fwd (bring the wool forward to make a hole), then repeat that step. You then K2 tog and repeat that until the last st, then k1.

Have you been bringing the yarn forward twice, then doing the k2 tog? That would explain the increased sts...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Cast on in multiples of 4 + 2. Row 1 K1 *K2,yon twice, K2tog; repeat from * to last stitch, k1
    Row2: P1, *P2,K1,P1; rep from * to last stitch, P1

He tells you to repeat the two rows until you've reached the desired length.

On Row 1, the repeat gets you to place the yarn over the needle twice which technically adds 1 stich to the number (K2, yo twice, K2tog = 2+2+1 =5 whereas you started off with 4 stitches). On the same section on the return row, it gets you to work 4 stiches. You probably need to drop one of the yo stitches on the return row.
    Now, I'm not certain about this but that's my guess. Someone might be able to confirm. :-)
    Best of luck with your project :-)
    V

• Advertisement

ValerieR wrote: »
    On Row 1, the repeat gets you to place the yarn over the needle twice which technically adds 1 stich to the number (K2, yo*2, K2tog = 2+2+1 =5 whereas you started off with 4 stitches). On the same section on the return row, it gets you to work 4 stiches. You probably need to drop one of the yo stitches on the return row.
    Now, I'm not certain about this but that's my guess. Someone might be able to confirm. :-)
    Best of luck with your project :-)
    V

Doesn't the pattern state multiples of 4 + 2 (= 6) ?

Doesn't the pattern state multiples of 4 + 2 (= 6) ?

The way I read the row 1 instructions is the 1st and last K1 are the 2 in the 4+2 number and the repeat section is the 4 between the *.
    For the work to go straight up (no increase), something has to happen to 'drop' one stich at some stage.

OP, maybe a link to the YouTube video might enlighten us better. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60xeVTwDpnc

I have absolutely no idea if this will work, if not, forgive me. :D

Aah ... I get it.

It's k1, *k2tog, yo twice, k2tog*, k1 for row1.

So, you replace the 2 stitches you make disappear by knitting 2 together twice by placing the yarn over the needle twice. From 4 stiches at the beginning between the *, you still have 4 stiches at the end of the row.
    You should always have the same amount of stitches from beginning to end.

Does this help?

V

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tiredmum

Hello ladies. I am trying to find a knitting pattern for girls long boot type slippers. So far all I found was baby ugg boot pattern that is way too small for them. I have 4 girls..shoe sizes are for ages 4/5/6 and 8 sizes are 8/10/12 and 13. If anyone has any ideas, please post. Thanks

• Advertisement

Have you looked on Ravelry?

The ladies on there are pretty good at answering calls for help. Another alternative might be to adapt an existing pattern to the sizes you need. Post up a thread asking for help.

Thanks for replying. I have no idea about adapting patterns. I am only a beginner and have not knitted in years. I will try Ravelry and see if anyone can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

hi,
    Ravelry is a great resource and is free and easy to join. Once you go on Ravelry, you choose the tab Patterns along the top and type in your search term,
    I typed in Slipper socks, and got 1,779 hits! here are the results of that search,
    most have pictures so you can see straight away if it's what you want, also on the sidebar at Left you can modify the search , you need to choose Knitting and you can choose to show only Free patterns (875 of these were free) and then modify again to show the size you want,

You could also search for boot slippers (433 patterns, of which 157 free)
    here's the result for Boot slipper, knitting, free, child's size, age 4 to 12. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#query=boot%20slipper%20&view=captioned_thumbs&craft=knitting&availability=free&sort=best&fit=child

Thank you so much ladies. I found the perfect pattern for my slipper socks. Its called 'slippers with soul' by polarknit..I am gonna try my best to make it for the 2 big girls and then see if I can adjust the pattern for the 2 younger ones. I have not knitted in years. Fingers crossed. Thank you once again..

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

So as I've mentioned before I was knitting a bridal bolero and just got around to finishing it up but thing is now that it's finished I don't like it! It looks too big and just weird!
    But (if I can describe right) it looks like a cardigan front bits meet but if I put them behind my back so it's just like the back and sleeves it looks way better, I don't want to just not use it now so was thinking of trying to weave ribbon or something to finish it off, anyone offer any advice?

That's a shame. The bit you posted up looked all right. What do you think went wrong? Did you check your tension before you started?

It's hard to suggest something when you can't see, but maybe some shirring elastic sewn into the cardi might do the trick.

That's a shame. The bit you posted up looked all right. What do you think went wrong? Did you check your tension before you started?

It's hard to suggest something when you can't see, but maybe some shirring elastic sewn into the cardi might do the trick.

I lost a bit of weight since that picture and when I finished off the rib last night and put it on it just looked too big and not right
    I'm gonna take some pics later and try to explain with them what I mean
    But I'm off to my mams to c if she can fix it for me :)

I'm adding in a few pics it will show what it looks like and what I want to change it too any input really appreciated!

I lost a bit of weight since that picture and when I finished off the rib last night and put it on it just looked too big and not right
    I'm gonna take some pics later and try to explain with them what I mean
    But I'm off to my mams to c if she can fix it for me :)
    I'm adding in a few pics it will show what it looks like and what I want to change it too any input really appreciated!

The bolero looks ok to me as it is (size wise). It wouldn't be as nice if it were snug. I wouldn't 'transform' it as a shrug.
    IMO, it'd look messy at the back if you gather the front to the back and no amount of ribbons/ornaments would 'hide' the width surplus.

Some nice buttons (rhinestone) or a nice ribbon to tie as the top could dress it up.

Well done on knitting it ! :)

V

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

The bolero is lovely, have you blocked it yet? That might solve some of your problems.
    If you are adding to it, you could add ribbon in the same colour as the bridesmaids dresses or the button hole for the groom.

• Advertisement

aknitter wrote: »
    The bolero is lovely, have you blocked it yet? That might solve some of your problems.
    If you are adding to it, you could add ribbon in the same colour as the bridesmaids dresses or the button hole for the groom.

So as this is the first piece of clothing I have ever knit I have no idea what blocking is ?! Could you explain?
    The problem that you can't see in the pic is the front is hanging and as a result is about 2-3 inches longer than the back?
    So I pulled it behind my back ( shown in last pic) and just pinned it up ready to sew into a shrug, just wanted some feedback first

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

I liked the last photo, and if the front is longer you could always say that's how it's supposed to look! You could knot the front pieces together to get it to look like one of those tie front boleros (sorry I have a cold and probably am not making a lot of sense!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As aknitter said, its fine, you just have not quite finished it. Blocking is when you very carefully lay it out without stretching it, but making sure it is even and lying where you want it. Spend some time making sure it is absolutely level and even, do it on a couple of layers of towel as it will be too big for an ironing board. (Don't put the towels on a polished table top!). If there are any curled up edges make sure they are uncurled. You may need to pin it in place, slide pins in at a flat angle so they just squash down off the edge of the garment. Now it depends a bit on what kind of yarn it is, different ways are recommended for different yarns, however I have just done it with steam and it has worked fine. When you are happy with the way the garment is placed, and remember, do not stretch it, but encourage the sides to lie evenly, cover with a slightly damp cloth (a plain tea towel is good, not a fluffy one) or a piece of well washed cotton shirt or similar. Then hold your steam iron over it close to, but not quite touching the garment and steam it. Don't 'iron' it, just hold the iron still for a second or two and let the steam go through the covering material. Be gentle and err on the side of caution. When you have finished pat the fabric down gently then leave it to dry completely. Don't rush it, leave it long enough to dry.

aknitter wrote: »
    http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

I liked the last photo, and if the front is longer you could always say that's how it's supposed to look! You could knot the front pieces together to get it to look like one of those tie front boleros (sorry I have a cold and probably am not making a lot of sense!)

Thanks! I prefer it tied behind now too think it might work better on the day as it won't cover my dress!
    I will try blocking tho before I try changing it Into a shrug!

looksee wrote: »
    As aknitter said, its fine, you just have not quite finished it. Blocking is when you very carefully lay it out without stretching it, but making sure it is even and lying where you want it. Spend some time making sure it is absolutely level and even, do it on a couple of layers of towel as it will be too big for an ironing board. (Don't put the towels on a polished table top!). If there are any curled up edges make sure they are uncurled. You may need to pin it in place, slide pins in at a flat angle so they just squash down off the edge of the garment. Now it depends a bit on what kind of yarn it is, different ways are recommended for different yarns, however I have just done it with steam and it has worked fine. When you are happy with the way the garment is placed, and remember, do not stretch it, but encourage the sides to lie evenly, cover with a slightly damp cloth (a plain tea towel is good, not a fluffy one) or a piece of well washed cotton shirt or similar. Then hold your steam iron over it close to, but not quite touching the garment and steam it. Don't 'iron' it, just hold the iron still for a second or two and let the steam go through the covering material. Be gentle and err on the side of caution. When you have finished pat the fabric down gently then leave it to dry completely. Don't rush it, leave it long enough to dry.

Thanks that was a really easy to follow explanation! I'll give it a go but as I've just said now I've tried it as a shrug I think I prefer it that way, now to work out how to convert it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I'm just after knitting my first jumper and I am delighted with it. It's for a doll.

I had a pattern and started knitting. But then turned out too small. So I sat down with the pattern and worked out a load of sums and made another and it turned out well. 3 - to 4 months after taking up knitting, I'm delighted with the work. It was my first knitting pattern that I worked on. A full a4 size page of bits. I learned how to knit one type of button hole and neck shaping and neck band.

I have a bit of a neckband mess. The neckband at the back is lopsided. The back of the jumper is an open design with buttons. One side of the neckband at the back turned out longer than the other side. I'm guessing this happened when I was picking up stitches for the neckband. I must have picked up uneven stitches. I'm not too sure if I should give myself a headache by ribbing up the neckband and doing it again or if I should leave it alone.

Aside from that, I'm thrilled with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've had ridiculous insomnia the last few nights, which has been great for my knitting. I'm after getting half a shawl done in two nights, and now that I'm finished the lace edge and just onto the wrap and turns it's been a delight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I've just finished this one. The cowl neck is separate from the jumper which is very handy. I love all the patterns on ravelry the biggest problem is that there is so many to choose from:):):)

4w76.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks that was a really easy to follow explanation! I'll give it a go but as I've just said now I've tried it as a shrug I think I prefer it that way, now to work out how to convert it!

I prefer it as a shrug too.

You can change it. Google 'steek' on YouTube and you ll see how to change the front.

Also google some 1930 s boleros as allot were knitted and shaped around the bust.

Worst case, you remove the two front pieces and make 2 new ones.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all your help when I posted this, but despite several tries, the amount of stitches still increased. Maybe I tried to run before I could walk! One day my dream is to post a finished project that looks wonderful, in the meantime I will keep practicing.
    This is such a great thread..and you's are all so kind for helping newbies. :)

Advertisement