Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I HAVE to have a list of planned projects, if I dont, I just end up making crap and getting ped off.

I've been given a new (35 year old) knitting machine, its brilliant, I cant seem to get off it. Its a zippy 90, really simple to use.

I must try a list too as I do find unless I have a specific project for a specific need I end up with something half finished that lies in the bottom of a box with all the other half finished pieces!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

looksee wrote: »
    Ah, that is the shoulder shaping, not the armhole shaping. Apparently there is no armhole shaping, which is going to make a rather strange shaped cardigan - is it a child's garment? It seems likely that some of that shaping would create a dip in the centre to allow for the neck, ut I still cannot see how it works!

More confusion, it is a sleeveless cardigan, I was reading the pattern as being a cardigan. I would describe it as a gillet or waistcoat.

No, it's not a child's one. It was probably too much to hope for lidl instructions to make sense. I've decided to turn the wool into a nice pair of wristwarmers instead and learn cable stitch while I'm at it. Thanks Looksee.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

We were posting recently about techniques that we'd like to master and I mentioned using circular needles. Well, I still haven't tried because I have a couple of things to finish first but I spotted a lovely man's zip neck sweater on Ravelry today and not only is it done on circular needles but it's knit from the top down as well! I've been knitting for decades now, and I mean decades but this idea topples all my thinking on knitting to date! I even googled adjusting the pattern to straight needles etc., but it's too much of a minefield to risk so much expensive yarn. Has anyone knit a pattern like this and if yes, how did you get on? I'm really keen to knit this sweater but I don't know if I could change the habits of a lifetime at this stage! Any thoughts? Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Do you have a link to the pattern? I'll take a look if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I use to hate circular until I borrowed am expensive set from a friend, they were metal and had wire connecting them. They were so comfy to use compared to the plasticy jobs you usually see.

I think the pattern would be a big consideration when working a top with circulars, remember you probably wont be turning your work, so no plain row!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

The set you use definitely makes a difference. I got these ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/KnitPro-Spectra-Trendz-Acrylic-Interchangeable/dp/B0076XOCVC and they're fantastic

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the pattern? I'll take a look if you like!

Thanks so much for the offer. I'm not good with links (DOH :() but I found it on Ravelry, it's called "Learn to knit a man's sweater" by Very Pink and I haven't bought it yet....no point if I can't knit it really. So if you have time on your hands at some stage and absolutely nothing else to do, you might like to take a look at it! I'd love to do it because it's a nice classic design and they can be hard enough to find but........ Anyway, thanks again and I'd be interested in what you think if you do see it.

All the best for now, J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I use circulars if there's too many stitches on the needle. Never had a problem with them. Far comfier than straight needles if there's a lot of stitches. Pretty easy to knit in the round with them too. Have a look on YouTube - lots of good vids on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

The one time I tried circulars I had an issue with the length of them. Are the stitches supposed to fill the wire if you know what I mean?

No. When I use circulars for knitting back and forth in rows, I find the circulars distribute the weight of the piece well, and don't make it so heavy -particularly when making one-piece jumpers and boleros. I find 80cm needles work quite well. I have a set of 80cm circular bamboo needles - nice and light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I used a short circular needle when adding a yoke to a cardy I was knitting and I found it a better way to knit. I also find your not as 'elbowy' with the shorter circulars

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

janmaree wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the offer. I'm not good with links (DOH :() but I found it on Ravelry, it's called "Learn to knit a man's sweater" by Very Pink and I haven't bought it yet....no point if I can't knit it really. So if you have time on your hands at some stage and absolutely nothing else to do, you might like to take a look at it! I'd love to do it because it's a nice classic design and they can be hard enough to find but........ Anyway, thanks again and I'd be interested in what you think if you do see it.

All the best for now, J.

I think I found the link with Google. It leads to this page : http://verypink.com/2011/11/02/learn-to-knit-a-mens-sweater/
    On it, it says circular or straight needles. So, you should be ok.
    Sometimes they recommend circular needles when there are many stitches.
    Personally I always managed to squeeze all the stitches on long straight needles.
    I'd say this pattern is knitted in pieces (back and 2 feont fronts) ; you could send the owner an email to ask too.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks ValerieR, that is the pattern although it doesn't look anything special in the dark brown that she has used, on Ravelry there are several pictures of the finished product by members and it's much easier to see the pattern in lighter colours. I think the optional straights only relate to the collar and maybe the very top of the body but it's on circulars after that according to the tutorial. I think I'll bite the bullet and buy the pattern......it's time I learned something new anyway! So thanks very much for your help and when I get it finished, hopefully sometime before the next "minnellium", I'll post a picture.......if I ever learn how to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Been thinking about trying circular needles for a while. What would be an easy project to start with?

Been thinking about trying circular needles for a while. What would be an easy project to start with?

I'd make a cowl. Plenty of nice patterns on Ravelry.

Very easy and you knit in the round. Tricky when joining in, and you have to keep the needle straight. When you reach the end of the round (i.e. where you've joined in), remember to pull the stitches TIGHT or else you'll end up with a ladder!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I use to hate circular until I borrowed am expensive set from a friend, they were metal and had wire connecting them. They were so comfy to use compared to the plasticy jobs you usually see.

Would you happen to know the brand name of these needles, I've been looking online at the various makes and some of the reviews mention problems with changing the tips and having to soak the cords in hot water to "unkink" them, etc. There is absolutely no way that I could face that kind of thing while I'm trying to learn how to use them in the first place!!! :eek:

Many thanks. J.

Any circular needle you get, you'll have to unkink them in hot water! They come with the platsic part curled up and around the needle points...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Info : Wool for sale in Aldi on the 23rd of Feb

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-23rd-february/

Would you happen to know the brand name of these needles, I've been looking online at the various makes and some of the reviews mention problems with changing the tips and having to soak the cords in hot water to "unkink" them, etc. There is absolutely no way that I could face that kind of thing while I'm trying to learn how to use them in the first place!!! :eek:

Many thanks. J.

they had a metal cord, like payphone cord!

some thing pro, cant remember, like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prym-Symfonie-Interchangeable-Circular-Knitting/dp/B009ZDA3J6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392941448&sr=8-4&keywords=circular+knitting+needles+set

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Calmsurrender

Hope it's ok to ask here , I'm learning crochet and I have been using acrylics (mostly from the pound shops) so I was just wondering what are "good" yarns to use for actual projects?
    I know that's a fairly open ended question but the wools I'm using tend to not be great, it's fine for practice because I have to rip and re do quite a bit so any guidance, brand names etc at all would be lovely
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

I'm more of a knitter but I think cotton is usually better for crochet and you're definitely better avoiding dark/mixed colours and textures when you're starting out, as it can be more difficult to see your stitches.
    I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you more specific advice.
    ;)

Hope it's ok to ask here , I'm learning crochet and I have been using acrylics (mostly from the pound shops) so I was just wondering what are "good" yarns to use for actual projects?
    I know that's a fairly open ended question but the wools I'm using tend to not be great, it's fine for practice because I have to rip and re do quite a bit so any guidance, brand names etc at all would be lovely
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12 millimetres

Hey guys,

I bought a kit from Aldi last week on a whim for knitting a cat. I haven't knitted in about a decade, but seem to be doing grand with it.

But now I'm stuck, I'm a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to do here, anybody any suggestions?

It's for knitting one of the cat's legs, and the pattern says:

CO 6 stitches in Yarn A
    Knit 18 rows for sole
    Cast on 12 sts in Yarn B, knit across 6 sts, CO 12 sts (30)

All fine 'til I get to the cast on 12 sts part... was I supposed to cast off after the 18 rows for the sole or how do I go about casting on while still being mid knit if that makes sense?

Sorry, I'd just really like to finish this now that I've started so any help would be great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

It's hard to explain in words, but if you do a youtube search for cast on mid row, you'll find a ton of tutorials.

The bits you're casting on make up the leg itself, and you'll end up sewing the two sides together. The 18 rows you've just knitted are the sole of the foot, so you'll fold those over and sew on, to form a kind of base.

Yeah, you'll make a kind of T shape when you have your 30 sts done.

Re best yarn for crochet, I love Patons mercerised cotton, 4 ply for formal wear, DK for casual, it has a lovely sheen and drapes beautifully. I have made items from acrylic mixes etc and wondered where I went wrong but when using mercerised cotton, the piece will usually hang totally differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Hi Knitters!

I have a very silly question.

I have just started knitting, I am on my first 'piece', it's basically a practice scarf. I have been practising my knit and purl, and joining. I have gotten the hang of these now... Sort of :)

Anyway, my question is, as I am 'following' a pattern, where I need to knit one row and then knit & purl another and repeat, I keep forgetting what row I have just done! (Yes I should pay more attention!). But when I look at the last row I have done, I can't SEE what stitches I have done. i.e. I can't figure if it's all knit or the mixture.

Do you guys remember what you have just done, or can you see it?

You should be able to see pretty easily what you've done with the pattern as you've described it. Basically, a knit row looks quite flat while the back of the same row, which is purl, looks like tiny bobbles or beads. The other row which is a mixture of the two stitches, will look like: flat / bobble / flat / bobble, etc., and will look like the exact opposite on the other side of the same row. Clear as mud, I know but if you look at it carefully you will see it. Maybe do a few knit stitches and look at them, back and front, then you will see what I mean. Hope this helps but if you still have problems for now, maybe a row marker of some kind that you move every other row will let you get the hang of it.

P.S. It's not a silly question at all by the way, you're doing very well for someone just taking up knitting. I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment as you become more and more skilled at it. It's a satisfying and productive hobby that takes a lot of stick from fools who think it requires a rocking chair and white hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

You should be able to see pretty easily what you've done with the pattern as you've described it. Basically, a knit row looks quite flat while the back of the same row, which is purl, looks like tiny bobbles or beads. The other row which is a mixture of the two stitches, will look like: flat / bobble / flat / bobble, etc., and will look like the exact opposite on the other side of the same row. Clear as mud, I know but if you look at it carefully you will see it. Maybe do a few knit stitches and look at them, back and front, then you will see what I mean. Hope this helps but if you still have problems for now, maybe a row marker of some kind that you move every other row will let you get the hang of it.

P.S. It's not a silly question at all by the way, you're doing very well for someone just taking up knitting. I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment as you become more and more skilled at it. It's a satisfying and productive hobby that takes a lot of stick from fools who think it requires a rocking chair and white hair!

Now that I have read your post and looked at my stitches, I CAN see what row I have just done. At least with this pattern anyway! :) This will make life easier when I go to make the proper scarf!

I am liking it so far, I saw some lovely booties earlier in this thread, so I am dying to try them!

When I started recently, I remembered the knit stitch from my primary school days (amazing how easy it comes back!), but the purl had me stumped for a while. Kept somehow adding extra stitches. But the last 50 or so rows I have kept the same number of stitches! Delighted with myself!

Getting there, thanks for your reply! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Congrats on getting started again :-) as you try new patterns you'll definitely become better at recognising the stitches. YouTube is always really helpful if there's a stitch or technique you don't know. I think it helps to see a visual. Best of luck with the scarf :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I was wondering if anyone had tried loom knitting and
    what they thought of it. I bought a set of Knifty Knitter
    looms on eBay and this is my first project.

537110_10203528537122534_2084871697_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Your hat looks really lovely, well done you! I'm very interested to see your post because I've been browsing online lately, learning about weaving and I'm fascinated by the whole process. I came across references to knitting looms but didn't pay much attention at the time - now I'm interested!

Advertisement