Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Thank you. I have been knitting for years and I wanted something different. I saw these looms, which I thought at first were toys, in a craft group. The members who used them were coming up with all kinds of projects. They made toys, socks, scarves, blankets, hats in all different sizes, bags etc,etc.

This is what mine look like but there are long ones, wooden ones and figure of 8 ones (to make afghans and shawls )too.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=knifty+knitter+looms&LH_PrefLoc=2&_arm=1&_armm=63&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3Dknifty%2Bknitter%2Blooms%26LH_PrefLoc%3D5%26_arr%3D1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When we were in school, we used something like this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/131125786181?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

So easy to use, I have seen basic loom knit packs in toy shops but never the proper ones like your one.

I tried to make one once with u nails from Woodies and I bent the tip of a punch, also from Woodies.

It worked really well but I didnt space the nails perfectly enough, a mm out made a big difference to the tension of the stitch.

I used really chunky yarn to make a dress.

I've never used one of those wmpdd3. How did your dress turn out ?

Great, it was when I didn't have a chunky machine, so it was the only way I could knit quickly, I have no patients.

tension was an issue, you have no way to control it really, either make a bigger loom or use a thicker yarn, that's it.

I still had to join the the panels as my loom was only about 12 inches long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Well I've just bought this rainbow yarn (pictured). Going to make a baby cardigan and hat - any other ideas of what might work?

• Advertisement

Of what you could make or if you could use a different yarn?

Sorry, any ideas how to use it, other than baby hat and cardi. Would a plain stitch work best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I've done this dress before. If you're knotting for a boy mightn't work so well though!!

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/easy-baby-knitting-patterns5.htm

Works well with coloured yarn like yours. Can't go wrong with a cardi though. I think stokinette works best to show off the colours and make the colour the focal point of the pattern . It's beautiful :)

Yes, many stocknet really shows off the self stripping. If its a little girl, once they reach 3 they seem to be obsessed with knitted bags! Maybe try one of those.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Great, it was when I didn't have a chunky machine, so it was the only way I could knit quickly, I have no patients.

tension was an issue, you have no way to control it really, either make a bigger loom or use a thicker yarn, that's it.

I still had to join the the panels as my loom was only about 12 inches long.

You were brave to tackle a dress !!

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    I've done this dress before. If you're knotting for a boy mightn't work so well though!!

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/easy-baby-knitting-patterns5.htm

Works well with coloured yarn like yours. Can't go wrong with a cardi though. I think stokinette works best to show off the colours and make the colour the focal point of the pattern . It's beautiful :)

Thank you! That pattern looks gorgeous. Have a little girl to knit for so it might do the trick.

paulaa wrote: »
    You were brave to tackle a dress !!

Not really, I just had crap loads of the same chunky yarn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

This is a great thread! I've had a read of a few pages but it's quite some number to get through...

Just wondering if anyone has done lace-shawl knitting. I'm trying to pick a suitable yarn but can't seem to find one. I'd normally get stuff off springwools but they don't really have nice lace-weight yarns, they're either synthetic or too bulky. I want to get one of those hand-spun/dyed batches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Try these Gatica! Some beautiful yarns on there. I've just bought some of this in Natural to make a scarf.

Although the yarns seem expensive, it does go a long way. The Fyberspates is 1km per hank. Took me over an hour to wind into a ball...

oops, I think the links are modified as they come up with:
    We're sorry the page you tried was not found.

PS: never mind, I just dropped the http bit at the end... :)

oh, wow these are beautiful! I might get one of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Elann.com also do beautiful yarns and they're big into lace knit shawls, I get their preview emails and they have quite a selection of those multi-coloured yarns. I've bought from them a few times at this stage, their prices are brilliant and they have a huge free patterns section that just requires a free registration to access. Would be worth a look at their site just for the window-shopping, even if you never buy anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know whether you'd be paying customs on that? Cheaper shipping is quite long, so I'd probably need to plan way ahead :)

From another post on this thread, had a look at a site and found a lovely blend with very good value for 1kg:
    http://www.theconstantknitter.ie/shop/yarn/lace
    Their shipping was only 4 Euro, plus I also got some Baby Merino for making a baby hat.

Can't wait to get started on the shawl and hat when they arrive!

Was trying to buy the CindyLou Hat pattern someone had posted here but vendor site is having problems with their paypal account so I've got a combo of a swirl hat pattern and a gnome pattern, which should make something similar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Gatica wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know whether you'd be paying customs on that? Cheaper shipping is quite long, so I'd probably need to plan way ahead :)

I haven't had to so far, I think if the purchase value, including shipping, is under €150 then there's nothing else to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Hi guys!

My mother broke her ankle last week and she's asked me to knit her a sock that she can put over her cast. Would any of you guys have such a pattern or know where to look? I have tried ravlery but nothing so far :/

What about doing a leg warmer instead? Might have a bit more stretch?

Good idea, I'll look into that :)

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Good idea, I'll look into that :)

I'm sure I've seen some on ravelry. Only thing is your mams poor toes will still be frozen! It's rubbish when you break your ankle :-(

kandr10 wrote: »
    I'm sure I've seen some on ravelry. Only thing is your mams poor toes will still be frozen! It's rubbish when you break your ankle :-(

That's the thing. It's specifically for her toes that she wants me to knit the sock..may just see if there is any patterns for oversized socks and see what turns up!

YOu could try a xmas sock! seriously!

If it for over the cast, a long tube may work as the bend at the ankle is reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Could you do a regular sock pattern and then switch to bigger needles and chunky yarn for the ankle? Or an eyelash yarn, to look like a fur cuff?!

I just had to share this:

I've been looking around for some short (24.5cm) bamboo single point needles on eBay. Found an 18 piece set for which bids were being accepted. So I put in a bid with a maximum ceiling of £4.50. I wasn't going to bid much more than that, as I know I can get a set for about £5-6. Got a notification from eBay I'd been outbid. The needles were won with a price of £19.01 :eek:

The kicker? The same seller has the same set of needles for sale. The Buy It Now price? £5.99 and free postage! I just hope whoever the Muppet was who bought those needles at £19.01 doesn't decide to take a look at the seller's other items...:D

Some people really have no sense.

I always have problems with space when blocking my pieces before making up.

I've seen a blocking kit (mat, pins, etc.) on eBay for £22. Seems like quite a lot to me, but wanted to ask:

Are these kits worth it?
    What's the easiest way to block? I don't have the space (or the patience!) to pin out the damp pieces and wait for them to dry.

Can you share any tips with me, please?7

TIA :)

• Advertisement

Bump, ABajaninCork! I've the same questions on blocking too. I see lots of info on it but it's always using some kind of proper kit, which I'm not 100% sure I want to invest into. I've thought of doing steam-blocking with the iron, but I'm a little afraid of frying my knitting.

PS: Got lovely manos del uruguay maxima and drops lace yarn off www.theconstantknitter.ie and some drops baby merino from Winnie's Craft Cafe online. thanks for the info though, janmaree!

Advertisement