Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i move this tree?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

there's a tree in my garden which is really in the wrong place. (the little tag around it says it's a eucalyptus). it's pretty tall, maybe ten feet, but the trunk is maybe only an inch and an half in diameter.

i'd love to move it, but can you just dig up a tree and move it, or will that kill it?

sorry if this is a really stupid question!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

07734 wrote: »
    there's a tree in my garden which is really in the wrong place. (the little tag around it says it's a eucalyptus). it's pretty tall, maybe ten feet, but the trunk is maybe only an inch and an half in diameter.

i'd love to move it, but can you just dig up a tree and move it, or will that kill it?

never heard of Eucalyptus being a plant you can't move....
    I guess it'll depend on how long it's in that position and how much rootball you can take up ...
    If you have the time to wait, Prune roots right around the base to the tree and allow the plant to regrow within the rootball, come back next year and move the tree to new position.
    If you plan to move it this year I wouldn't wait beyond March

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

thanks for that.

i don't know how long it's been there, couple of years at least. (we moved into the house in late 2009)

i'll give it a whirl!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - I woulod advise you to seriously consider removing the tree. They are very fast growing but troublesome tree when mature. Far too big and dangerous for any garden in an urban setting.

Although attractive when young and the leaves are popular with flower arrangers they can reach 20m+ within a few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

Really? Oh. I guess it's gotta go :)

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Definitely - move it asap - far away from any walls and buildings - if you have nowhere suitable offer it to a friend with a very big garden :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Hi, I moved a Eucalyptus tree that I had growing in my small back garden for about three years. I brought it from the housing estate I was living in to my house I built in the country where it has plenty of room to grow. I moved it in April, which was a risk, 3 years ago and it has flourished since. Just take enough of a root ball with you and should be okay at this time of year. It's now about 20ft tall but I keep the top clipped and it has nicely formed with some of the branches drooping down to the ground.

If your garden is small and you would find it hard to keep in check as it grows taller then maybe you should be looking at getting rid of otherwise they are imo a lovely tree and worth the bit of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

There are a couple of these planted close to my house, some of my neighbors walls have cracked from the roots, bad idea in an urban setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

padi89 wrote: »
    There are a couple of these planted close to my house, some of my neighbors walls have cracked from the roots, bad idea in an urban setting.

How close are they to your neighbours house?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend lives in a housing estate in dublin which is at most five years old. someone in his estate planted a garden hedge using eucalyptus; they must be eight or ten feet tall already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

kop77 wrote: »
    How close are they to your neighbours house?

Around 6-8ft roughly il have a better look tomorrow but they are very close. The neighbor planted eucalyptus and 20-30 leylandii for "privacy" they are all around 25-30 ft now so all of our back gardens which are south facing get little if any light at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

07734 wrote: »

Hi, i ve been involved in moving trees bigger then this and what we done is dig a trench two feet out from the trunk and all around the tree, cut the roots out from the side of the trench, then fill the trench with moss peat for the roots to grow back, when removing the tree you have to get right in under the ball root then, with what ever method your going to use to lift it out, but time would be running out now to move it, you'd want to do it before end of march.

Advertisement