Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Heaters

• 28-02-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys so I have no heater in my conversion and it was bitter the weekend. Is there any handy cheap heater I can get fitted that doesnt need an electrics feed and any idea were id buy it ? id spend 200 about

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi guys so I have no heater in my conversion and it was bitter the weekend. Is there any handy cheap heater I can get fitted that doesnt need an electrics feed and any idea were id buy it ? id spend 200 about

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/07/73109007.html

But I would worry about carbon monoxide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I would advise against any type of heating (except electric) which doesn't have an external flue for its combustion gases and a direct external air supply for its flame.
    Any type which uses internal air for its combustion can kill as it will use up your oxygen and without a flue its fumes can make you most unwell and even kill you.
    If funds are tight why not try and scavenge one of This type of heater to run off your gas or one of This type to run off your diesel from an end of life vehicle/caravan.

There a few hundred quid like

Do they run of the electric hook up as I've no leisure battery

• Advertisement

Buy an hot water bottle then

If your going to post a smart comment at least spell the sentence right.

Do they run of the electric hook up as I've no leisure battery

There are versions of Truma heaters which will run on gas only without the need for 12volt or 220volt supply and there are versions which will run on gas and 220volts also some which have a fan for a blown air function which need 12volt (this is an optional extra).

The Diesel powered heaters need a 12 volt supply to operate the internal burner pump and fan.

Look for an older type Truma which will be gas only or gas/220volt from an end of life caravan, it could come quite cheap.
    The Diesel type are probably quite difficult to source second hand.

If your going to post a smart comment at least spell the sentence right.

Tell you what, contact the guy with the heater for sale on gumtree, offer him 170 and spend and spend another 30 or so on a monoxide alram, job done no power need bar a 9V battery every year.

Sorry? I didn't quite understand your sentence again.

Cheers niloc I'll have a look at the gas trumas. Could be perfect

• Advertisement

"Buy an hot water bottle then" and "Tell you what, contact the guy with the heater for sale on gumtree, offer him 170 and spend and spend another 30 or so on a monoxide alram, job done no power need bar a 9V battery every year".

Aren't forums supposed to be informative and helpful places, worth visiting by those in need :confused::confused:

Hi guys managed to source a d2 airtronic new for 350 everything included bar a silencer will I need 1? Also do I need to run it off the leisure battery or would the van battery b enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Hi guys managed to source a d2 airtronic new for 350 everything included bar a silencer will I need 1? Also do I need to run it off the leisure battery or would the van battery b enough

I have the D3LC running off the van battery, it should be fine, as far as I know it uses very little power. The important thing is to have the battery at full charge when it's starting up, other than that I've never had it run down the battery *touch wood* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

Where did you get the heater from, thats really cheap. I just paid 370 for a new part for my D4.
    I would not run it off the starter battery it takes 8.3A to start it and will draw between 0.4A and 2.8A when running depending on what setting it is on.
    The heater does have a low voltage cut off to protect your battery so you could get away with running it off the starter battery.
    Make sure u run large cables to power it, especially if the cable run is long as u will get volt drop.
    They are great heaters when they work, expensive when they dont.

Ste how long would u get the heater working for on the battery? Suppose the worst thing that could happen is bring a set of jump leads just in case?

Do any of u have the silencer does it make much difference?

Merc I got it off a guy that sold a camper to a mate of mine

Here's my next question I will have all this by wednesday ie heater switch relay and leisure battery. The van has wiring for the battery but im sure more is needed.

If anyone on here fancys a nixer on the cheap lol pm me.

I can bring it anywhere to get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Ste how long would u get the heater working for on the battery? Suppose the worst thing that could happen is bring a set of jump leads just in case?

Do any of u have the silencer does it make much difference?

Merc I got it off a guy that sold a camper to a mate of mine

I've only run it for 3-4 hours while parked up, can't remember running it for any longer than that. It heats up the van pretty quickly... Ampage on your starter battery might also make a difference in how much it drains at startup? I've a 90Ah starter battery if it makes a difference. Recently bought a leisure battery so hopefully going to run it off that at some stage soon.

I don't have a silencer but I do find it very noisy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'd do it, but I don't think you fancy a trip to sligo to have it wired, plus someone here is probably closer.

I fitted a 24V Eberspacher heater into my conversion with a clever bit of wiring to get it done.

Ye I must look at a silencer but I can only find the exhaust ones.

Worse case scenario I would drive to Sligo if I knew it was getting fitted right

I'd b tempted to just run it of the main battery to see how I get on

• Advertisement

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

My thinking is these silencers are for the benefit of people outside the van.
    Won't make the unit any quieter on the inside which is mostly fan noise.I don't have any fitted to mine and it's not noisy atall on the outside.

I'd recommend a wood burner, but usually I use turf/coal in one because it's relatively smokeless. These won't take the moisture or oxygen from the air as much as gas fueled ones do.

http://www.canvasandcast.com/category_Pipsqueak_stove_1.htm
    http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/html/woodburners.htm

or DIY
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Gas-Bottle-Wood-Burner/

Advertisement