Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL with i to i

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I knew a few people abroad who had that one. Basically, some places will accept it, but those are the places who would also accept a person with no cert. People with that generally get the worst pay, hours, conditions etc. You really need a CELTA or ACELS course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

I believe weekend or short courses such as this are aimed at people who are going to look for employment with private language schools in Asia, perhaps through a programme with the same company running the course. European language schools will insist that teachers have done a 150 hour/ 4 week course that is properly accredited (like CELTA mentioned above). I believe schools worldwide are increasingly keen for teachers to have done a course of this length. If you want to have options as to where you work and under what type of conditions then it will be worthwhile to do the longer course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

dory wrote: »
    You really need a CELTA or ACELS course.

This. Just pay the money and put in the month's work. You'll get the money back this July, when there will be plenty of teaching jobs in Ireland if you're ACELS (CELT) or CELTA accredited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Little Drummer Boy

I did this course as i wanted to get teaching practice in when applying for my PGDE, it's really aimed at people going to Asia, If I had to do it again . . . . . . . . . . I wouldn't.
    As the poster above says, put the time and money in and do the accredite course. It will be something to fall back on in the future rather than a quick weekend course that isn't worth the paper its printed on in most if not all of Europe (this is speaking from experience)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭will1569reptile

My sister did the course online and she teaches english to chinese students in china.. she finds jobs very easy over there beacust of the tefel course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

So how much is these CELT or CELTA courses likely to cost? Would they be cheaper to do abroad or just better to do in Ireland?

Can any of them be done online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

thebuzz wrote: »
    So how much is these CELT or CELTA courses likely to cost? Would they be cheaper to do abroad or just better to do in Ireland?

Can any of them be done online?

Depends where you are going to do it. A quick search got me this:

http://www.ihdublin.com/ihdublin/main/CELTA.htm

Full time - 4 weeks - Mon~Fri - 9am to 5.30pm - 1700 euro in total.

(Google is your friend) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JohnnyDoogue

Do not touch i-to-i if you want to get a job. ALWAYS do a CELT or CELTA. I did the CELT course last year and during the summer months in Ireland schools are always crying out for teachers. The extra money is worth it... trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

I checked the website. The Celta courses for April May June etc. were "fully booked" with spaces available for Sept and Oct 2011. I wonder if that page is out of date.

Is it difficult to get accepted onto the Celta full-time four week course?

The interview looks tough enough, and there are some language problems to solve on the application form, and explanations of how you would teach a non English speaker must be given.

Anyone done the course recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

The interviews aren't tough, really. They want you on the course, they're not trying to catch you out. They just want to make sure you're not a complete spoofer or serial killer. You don't need to have a massive knowledge of grammar going into the course, just brush up a little bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement