Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon

• 28-02-2011 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Shannon Town is squeezed in between the river on one side and the airport flight path on the other. Its about 6 km long and only 1 km wide. No condusive to a typical community.
    Also however, it is only now that the second and third generations of "Shannon" people are coming along. Most of the people in my age group (early 30's) parents came to Shannon from Limerick, Ennis, Newmarket on Fergus, Sixmilebridge and further afeild from places like Derry and Belfast.

I had great times growing up here. In the late teens early 20's it did seem like a boring place as I did a lot of traveling in the US, Europe and Austrailia.

but as I settled down I begain to appreciate the place again for what it is. A quite residential town with lovely river walks, with sports teams of all codes and above all a safe place to raise kids. An it's still only 10 minutes from Limerick for Munster games/night life and only 30 minutes to the atlantic coast. What more could you want?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I like Shannon because it looks so weird. You'd think you were "out foreign". The houses are built like other countries really. They built the roads and then the houses followed unlike our normal "estates".

Concrete roads mostly. The place is mad. When they recently modernised the school it took the soviet look off the place.

It was originally built by Americans to emulate an American town because they wanted all the American companies to set up in the Shannon free Zone. That's what I thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I have to laugh at people saying Shannon is a good place to raise kids. It used to be when i was being raised(Im 27), i dont want my daughter anywhere near the place when she is older other than to visit my family. The town is gone to shít over the last 10 years and it will only get worse when the 15-16 yr old scumbags produce their own offspring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Melion wrote: »
    I have to laugh at people saying Shannon is a good place to raise kids. It used to be when i was being raised(Im 27), i dont want my daughter anywhere near the place when she is older other than to visit my family. The town is gone to shít over the last 10 years and it will only get worse when the 15-16 yr old scumbags produce their own offspring.

Mel, there is more reasons to why a place is good to raise kids than the scumbag elliment. Certain areas have become more scummy but thats just a town maturing. The town is also about a third bigger than it was 20 years ago. For a town of its size the scumbag % is low. It also depends what part of the town you are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Not sure why this is in the limerick forum...
    Nice to see that everyone thinks every house in shannon is the same...
    I have lived in shannon over half my life and think its a great place to live. Those comments about call of duty or dangerous areas are unwarranted.
    Shannon is very safe, the robbery of a shop a few times last year was BIG news, and they caught the person that did it.
    I can only remember one murder about 15-20 years ago (man killed partner/wife, cant recall specifics) and there is still a maintained memorial on the path where it happened.
    The sketch videos that the rubberbandits etc use are the flats in drumgeely was built in the 60s, and is mostly lived in by students (lived there myself, very mouldy!)
    As for shannon being unplanned, it was planned, just badly!
    I think it is a great, safe place to live, as stated very close to limerick and ennis. It does need more facilities though, stuff to do of an evening, but I would definitely recommend it.

phill106 wrote: »
    Not sure why this is in the limerick forum...
    Nice to see that everyone thinks every house in shannon is the same...
    I have lived in shannon over half my life and think its a great place to live. Those comments about call of duty or dangerous areas are unwarranted.
    Shannon is very safe, the robbery of a shop a few times last year was BIG news, and they caught the person that did it.
    I can only remember one murder about 15-20 years ago (man killed partner/wife, cant recall specifics) and there is still a maintained memorial on the path where it happened.
    The sketch videos that the rubberbandits etc use are the flats in drumgeely was built in the 60s, and is mostly lived in by students (lived there myself, very mouldy!)
    As for shannon being unplanned, it was planned, just badly!
    I think it is a great, safe place to live, as stated very close to limerick and ennis. It does need more facilities though, stuff to do of an evening, but I would definitely recommend it.

I lived there until i was 25, its not a great place to live. It was when i was younger because we could entertain ourselves with a football or a bike. There is nothing to do for kids there nowadays. You mentioned A shop being robbed last year, what about the countless houses and cars that were robbed? That murder was in 2001, not 15-20 years ago, i worked with the girl and due to where she worked, she was very well known in the town.

• Advertisement

Twin-go wrote: »
    Mel, there is more reasons to why a place is good to raise kids than the scumbag elliment. Certain areas have become more scummy but thats just a town maturing. The town is also about a third bigger than it was 20 years ago. For a town of its size the scumbag % is low. It also depends what part of the town you are in.

Honestly though Mark, would you like to raise a child out there? Having him/her going to school with the offspring of some of the upstanding members of society out there? You cant blame the schools out there because they cant realistically turn down students. I definitely wouldnt want Caoimhe going to school out there having to put up with little scumbag children in her class disrupting it constantly. Its going on in my Godsons class at the minute, a 6yr old child has the run of the entire class, all the teachers and principal have no idea how to control him so just let him get away with whatever he wants.

I think every area in the town has become a lot scummier. Have you noticed the pyjama brigade have extended from O'Connell St in town to Shannon?

I lived there until i was 25, its not a great place to live. It was when i was younger because we could entertain ourselves with a football or a bike. There is nothing to do for kids there nowadays. You mentioned A shop being robbed last year, what about the countless houses and cars that were robbed? That murder was in 2001, not 15-20 years ago, i worked with the girl and due to where she worked, she was very well known in the town.

Sorry was 10 years then, not 15 years ago, my bad. Still along time ago compared to limerick. Again countless houses are broken into in limerick and cars stolen again from limerick.
    Friend of mine caught someone breaking into his car in shannon, and tell you what, the kid was from limerick.
    I would certainly rate it as safer then limerick.

Since it was closed in the Limerick forum(understandably).

Opinions on this once nice, quiet town?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Shannon now is so different to Shannon when I was growing up. Obviously, so much more houses but Clare county council and the Shannon town council failed the people of Shannon. They just let developers put housing every where and never for once thought of the young people or the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I get a sense that a lot of people (Clare, Limerick and North Tipp) owe their living to Shannon but they give very little back to the place. Some of my family and friends have worked in Shannon down through the years but apart from buying some petrol and a few sandwiches they wouldn't have contributed to the town or its economy. Maybe I'm wrong? Is Shannon Town Council and the Chamber of Commerce doing enough draw people into the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Shannon now is so different to Shannon when I was growing up. Obviously, so much more houses but Clare county council and the Shannon town council failed the people of Shannon. They just let developers put housing every where and never for once thought of the young people or the future.

I don't think Shannon got hit with the building boom like other towns and villages in the county, mainly due to off-kilter zoning regulations. If you drew a line across Shannon (by the town centre) and separated it into 2 halves, naming on one side Tullyglass and the other Tullyvarraga, the only new developments you would have on the Tullyglass side would be the Bru na Sionna complex and the as yet unfinished new social housing behind Cluain Airne. Now the Tullyvarraga side has made up for this lack of, with estates like Cluainin, Cul na Greine, Radharc na Coille, DunAras and a host of places in Ballycasey.

Of these new estates, only 1 would be noted for having social problems... Cul na Greine. This is mainly due to it being a council run estate with a scattering of affordable houses.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod note: I've moved 8 posts over from the original thread in the Limerick City Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I do love Shannon. I dont know why. Never lived there but live with in driving distance. can see the Airport from my house . . . with binoculars . . . on a hill . . up a tree(ish). Guess its as iv grown up i spent most my time down there. It was the first place i entered Ireland and hopefully with be the last place i leave. Many people i know dont like Shannon. Cant see why not. may be small bit rough but sure is not everywhere the same. I do love the airport. but its just all the roads you can go down and in behind. and the industrial estate. i always feel its a maze. just put the boot down and fly(not in the air) anywhere. and enjoy the open landscape. Thats what id say it is i love about shannon. Its nice and small but not shaded by mountain or cities. Its perfect in its own way. Has its own airport, City not far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Honestly though Mark, would you like to raise a child out there? Having him/her going to school with the offspring of some of the upstanding members of society out there? You cant blame the schools out there because they cant realistically turn down students. I definitely wouldnt want Caoimhe going to school out there having to put up with little scumbag children in her class disrupting it constantly. Its going on in my Godsons class at the minute, a 6yr old child has the run of the entire class, all the teachers and principal have no idea how to control him so just let him get away with whatever he wants.

I think every area in the town has become a lot scummier. Have you noticed the pyjama brigade have extended from O'Connell St in town to Shannon?

I hear you Mel, but name a town of it's size in Ireland that has less issues.

You say there is on 6 year old that has the run of the class. In other towns there could be 3/4 that have the run of the place. I know a primary school teacher up in sligo that has 12/25 pupils that have the run of the class.

I'm not saying Shannon does not have issues, of course it does. and being a good father has highened your awareness of these problems, But, it still alot safer than most comparitive towns in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Shannon, where do I start. A town built to provide housing for the workers in the Airport and Industrial Estate.

The town itself is just a big housing estate with an excuse for a town centre thrown up in the middle of it. A town centre dominated by the "landmark" that is the Sisk built Shannon Knights, a cartel in every sense of the word.

The only town in Ireland that doesn't have a main street afaik. You drive in and turn around to drive out again.

It has it's sports clubs, they cater for some of the population, the rest can find their own entertainment. Where? Outside the town, head to Limerick or Ennis or up the coast, but don't look to have somthing to do unless you fancy a night in the pubs all 5 them and one of them is a GAA club, one is like a sense from deliverance, one is a hotel and the other is the entertainment cartel.

Fancy a night at the movies, Ennis or Limerick are your closet options, ditto with bowling. God forbid these amenities would be provided!!

The people, generally decent but very clanish, different areas different attitudes.

The problems, not as bad as some other equally sized towns, I wonder why and how long this will last, we already have had people "immigrate" from areas of Limerick because noone wanted them there.
    This will increase if and when the social housing scheme by Cluain Airne is finished. Another ghetto in the making.

Currently the town is awash with drugs, will this get worse, I think so.

Rineanna Park, remember that amenity, now covered in flats.

Shannon the new town time forgot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You have just described Ireland.
    Houses, houses, houses, houses, houses and more houses.
    As for sports pitches and playgrounds, they where sold off and levelled to build more houses.
    All Ireland has to show for the Celtic Tiger is a massive bill courtesy of the banks and Bertie and houses, houses, houses, houses, a lot of them unfinished and empty.
    It is sad beyond belief and now where is the money to build sports pitches, parks, pools, leisure centres, etc...?
    Not gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Kasabian has said it perfectly. I've been living here for almost a year now, great place to live if you are a budding alcoholic or professional gambler. There is no (decent) bookshop and you can expect to pay more for everything compared with Limerick or Ennis.

My advice to anyone moving here is get sky sports and sky movies and buy plenty of electric heaters (they never heard of insulating!?)

Kasabian has said it perfectly. I've been living here for almost a year now, great place to live if you are a budding alcoholic or professional gambler. There is no (decent) bookshop and you can expect to pay more for everything compared with Limerick or Ennis.

My advice to anyone moving here is get sky sports and sky movies and buy plenty of electric heaters (they never heard of insulating!?)

Whereabouts in Shannon are you living? There are plenty of houses in Shannon that are too hot if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

It all kicked off in Cul na Greine very the weekend, couple arrested, neighbours getting their heads kicked in, blood everywhere. No prizes for guessing the family at the centre of it. It's an absolute disgrace that homes are given to these knackers who only go on and make the lives of those around them an absolute misery. Seems to be something that's happening more and more frequently too, in parks where there was never any trouble previously too. Place is going to be in ruin in another ten years or so, another Limerick suburb filled with wrong 'uns. Get out while you can.

el dude wrote: »
    It all kicked off in Cul na Greine very the weekend, couple arrested, neighbours getting their heads kicked in, blood everywhere. No prizes for guessing the family at the centre of it. It's an absolute disgrace that homes are given to these knackers who only go on and make the lives of those around them an absolute misery. Seems to be something that's happening more and more frequently too, in parks where there was never any trouble previously too. Place is going to be in ruin in another ten years or so, another Limerick suburb filled with wrong 'uns. Get out while you can.

is that in the circle/inner part of cul na greine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Refugee from RealLife

It's time to ask the lads to come out of retirement. They wouldn't be long putting these cnuts out of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Is it true that they're going to be moving the Limerick scum into those houses being built next to Cluain Airne? That'll be the last straw for me, and it's an absolute joke that these scumbags keep on getting new homes, and new communities to wreak their havoc in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

How does this happen?

Tipperary and Clare have their own housing lists but Newport and Shannon take tenants from Limerick
    And Limerick county take tenants from the city

If there queue jumping going on and locals getting skipped?

Would be a decent article for a journalist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Shannon used to be a nice place to live. But having had a stolen car put through our front wall in an effort to destroy our home we certainly don't find it safe. I am in my late 30's and grew up here when it was a nice town. Shannon is a victim of Limerick gangsters and regeneration. This is what happens when good people stand up to vermin. Now a town of see nothing hear nothing neighbours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

gufnork wrote: »
    Shannon used to be a nice place to live. But having had a stolen car put through our front wall in an effort to destroy our home we certainly don't find it safe. I am in my late 30's and grew up here when it was a nice town. Shannon is a victim of Limerick gangsters and regeneration. This is what happens when good people stand up to vermin. Now a town of see nothing hear nothing neighbours!

Tradaree? I heard something about this. That's absolutely mental. Can you tell us what happened leading up to the incident?

Tradaree? I heard something about this. That's absolutely mental. Can you tell us what happened leading up to the incident?

We were subjected to 2 years of abuse,death threats, intimidation and the noise of living next door to these people was so bad that it was 9 months after they moved in before we got an unbroken nights sleep(she was away for wkend,he was in jail again!) Their landlord swore blind they were great tenants and vouched for them before private residential tenancy board when we tried to have them evicted. 2 days after they left the property a male and female threw bricks at our front window in broad daylight 2 days after they'd left no 6 tradaree court. 10 days later a fireman's car was stolen and driven at speed at our house. If we hadn't had a strong tree in our garden the car would have been in our living room as intended. They were run out of Limerick and she has 2 uncles serving life for murder, 1 shot dead for being a gangland scumbag and they've moved to Cluain Airne now.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

wow,i had a look on passing,that tree deffo saved ye from having a car in your front room.Hopefully they will leave ye alone now.God help there new neighbours.

celliman wrote: »
    wow,i had a look on passing,that tree deffo saved ye from having a car in your front room.Hopefully they will leave ye alone now.God help there new neighbours.

We hope they leave us alone too but we doubt it. They seem more determined than ever. I hope their new neighbours have better neighbours than we do. Not 1 of our neighbours has knocked our door to ask if we're ok or even acknowledged that anything happened at all. I understand that people are frightened but it's the majority of neighbours doing nothing that lets these people get away with it. The neighbours in Fergus road got together and ran them out of there a few years ago. Likewise Kincora flats and Aidan park. She has family in Purcell park, Rineanna view, Cronan Lawn and Finian park. All being housed and paid for by the taxpayer. Limerick's loss has not been Shannon's gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Shannon is a dump and anybody that thinks differently is deluded

/thread

• Advertisement

Second Chance Animal Rescue charity shop at 26 Delginish has any 8 paperbacks for a fiver and hardbacks at 2 euro each. Worth checking them out and all the money goes to the animals the charity cares for in Clare and shannon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement