Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Those scumbags have now moved in across the road from my grandparents in Cluain Airne. <snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

top madra wrote: »
    Shannon is a dump and anybody that thinks differently is deluded

/thread

I just got a infraction for this post....so let me clarify this..

I do sub-contract work for the council,mostly in shannon ( i dont want to go into what i do )

The houses i have worked in down there are no joke...

People wreck them and then expect the council to refurb them with the best of everything..

I haven't came across anywhere else as bad in all of Clare..

Open the Clare People every week the court report is full of Shannon.

Their is nothing to do there but drink and do drugs in peoples Gaffs or maybe go to Darcys or that other ****hole in the middle of the housing estate..

Did i insult some of ye by my previous post?

Or was it a case again of a mod throwing their weight around when it was uncalled for..

Boards.ie ( the one place you can't have a opinion unless a mod likes it )

Ib4 ban...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Melion wrote: »
    Those scumbags have now moved in across the road from my grandparents in Cluain Airne.
    I can't name them for fear of damaging any future legal action we may need to take. But if you google "aggravated burglary in sixmilebridge" you'll find an article naming this LADYS father and brother both pleading guilty to holding a woman and her children hostage with a sawn off shotgun last year. Daddy dearest due for sentencing next January not sure when the brother being sentenced, hopefully they'll both be caged for a few years. Madam is very proud of her family too! Also daddy dearest and brother of the year both frequent vistors to the house. Our advice would be to keep a log of events. If and when problems arise send a registered letter to the landlord giving dates and times and details of whats been going on so you can prove you contacted him. Then you can take a case to the Private Residential Tenancies Board. They are the only people who can legally get them out and force the landlord to act. We put a lock on our oil tank after finding 1 of them on our tank with a diesel syphon your grandparents might consider doing the same.

gufnork wrote: »
    I can't name them for fear of damaging any future legal action we may need to take. But if you google "aggravated burglary in sixmilebridge" you'll find an article naming this LADYS father and brother both pleading guilty to holding a woman and her children hostage with a sawn off shotgun last year. Daddy dearest due for sentencing next January not sure when the brother being sentenced, hopefully they'll both be caged for a few years. Madam is very proud of her family too! Also daddy dearest and brother of the year both frequent vistors to the house. Our advice would be to keep a log of events. If and when problems arise send a registered letter to the landlord giving dates and times and details of whats been going on so you can prove you contacted him. Then you can take a case to the Private Residential Tenancies Board. They are the only people who can legally get them out and force the landlord to act. We put a lock on our oil tank after finding 1 of them on our tank with a diesel syphon your grandparents might consider doing the same.
    Sorry I should have been more specific. "Trio to appear in court in relation to Sixmilebridge kidnapping" is more accurate. Last weeks Clare people had an article on the father pleading guilty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

This is a very emotive subject with people very closely affected by the actions of a few, boards however isn't the place to vent, it's not the case of having the same opinion as mods, it's about being able to discuss in a manner that will not lead to ramifications to either the poster or boards.

If you have an issue with an infraction, you can follow the Dispute process.

I will leave the thread open for now, but if I feel that we can't have a civilized discussion I will lock the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

top madra wrote: »
    I do sub-contract work for the council,mostly in shannon ( i dont want to go into what i do )

The houses i have worked in down there are no joke...

People wreck them and then expect the council to refurb them with the best of everything..

You do sub-contractor work for council houses in Shannon and you have the nerve to say the tenants wreck them and expect the council to refurb them - you have some nerve.

I used to rent a Shannon county council house. Due to the rent assessed on income and I had a good income I was paying more in rent than what many of my friends were paying on their mortgage and I had the most unprofessional sub-contractors enter my HOME and treat it and me like scum all because I was a council tenant.

Here are a couple of examples of my encounters with said sub-contractors, there are many more. I'm not implying this was you by any means but a sub-contractor used by the council.....

One day sub-contractors called to do some wood work in the attic.
    They brought dirty wood through my home as they had to cover some tank in the attic. They cut the wood upstairs on the landing and used my laundry basket as a bench. The entire contents of the laundry basket had to be thrown out because all of the clothes were destroyed from sawdust. Were my clothes replaced - NO!
    Also, I later discovered the dirty wood they used contaminated the attic with woodworm. I had to pay for the wood to be treated, not the council or the sub-contractors. The treatment company who treated the wood identified the wood brought in by the sub-contractors as the wood which contaminated the joyces in the attic and advised there was no way the wood used was purchased from a reputable merchant.

Another day the house required a new circuit board and a sub-contractor from the council came to fit it.
    On St. Stephens' day the new circuit board went up on fire in the afternoon. As the circuit board is at the end of my stairs, if the fire happened during the night instead of the afternoon my family would have not been able to escape through downstairs. I got the ESB to come and examine the board. I later discovered the switch used for the shower which overheated and caused the fire (I was having a shower at the time) was the incorrect switch and the ESB advisor told me the person who fitted the switch would have known this as they forced it in as it really didn't fit. Not alone that, other parts of the circuit board fittings were not up to ESB standard regulation. The box was fitted not long before the fire. Who paid for the upgrade of the box, ME!

The above mentioned examples are just a few instances of the standards provided to me by sub-contractors while renting a council house.

So before you start knocking the people in Shannon who rent council houses have a long look at the sub-contractors who are hired to refurb them. I can see how some people would not accept what I have accepted and could go to alternative lengths to have better standards provided.

Sorry for the rant and off topic post but people in glass houses should not throw stones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Lived in 'little belfast' for a year when i was 19. Grand, quite place. People are sound. Cant complain. Knights on a saturday night was great craic, followed by supermacs! Happy memories:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    You are a sub-contractor...

Mod Note: LadyT, top madra has been given a short ban from the forum, so he won't be able to reply to your post until next week. With that in mind, you may or may not want to edit it a bit. The choice is entirely yours.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Shannon is no different than any other small town. You get nice areas, and some not so nice areas. And in both cases you'll get inconsiderate assholes. Doesn't matter whether it's tradaree or tralee, odds are, you won't like everyone, and not everyone will like you. No need to make sweeping generalisations, it's the sign of a poorly thought out argument.

That comment about people renting from the council is patently ridiculous of course. My mother lives in a council house, and I used to live there. We rarely had drug fuelled satanic scientology antisemite raves in our house. And when we did, tidied up afterwards. *

*Do I really have to say this isn't true? Probably. We were perfectly normal, like most of the people I know.

MarkR wrote: »
    Shannon is no different than any other small town. You get nice areas, and some not so nice areas. And in both cases you'll get inconsiderate assholes. Doesn't matter whether it's tradaree or tralee, odds are, you won't like everyone, and not everyone will like you. No need to make sweeping generalisations, it's the sign of a poorly thought out argument.

That comment about people renting from the council is patently ridiculous of course. My mother lives in a council house, and I used to live there. We rarely had drug fuelled satanic scientology antisemite raves in our house. And when we did, tidied up afterwards. *

*Do I really have to say this isn't true? Probably. We were perfectly normal, like most of the people I know.[/QU

Anti-social behaviour is a huge problem in Shannon. It's just being kept very quiet. I was in Shannon Garda station last week listening to a mother arguing that her 12 year old son, who had been arrested for putting fireworks in someones letterbox, should be given his tobbacco back! I don't believe in judging anybody based on whether they live in council or privately rented or mortgaged homes. The problem is attitude. Shannon is a relatively small town made up of relatively small housing estates. It cannot afford to take in the amount of problem famillies being relocated from Limerick. I have no bias against Limerick people. Unfortunately the majority of people being rehoused from Limerick are problematic. Ask a guard and they'll tell you that our councillors are signing off on these people coming into the town and county. Limerick County council pay Clare County council to take them. Our own councillors then pay lip service to people affected by anti-social behaviour and pass the buck on the matter. The reality is that there are good people and bad people and Shannon is receiving disproportionately more of the latter than we can cope with. If people don't wake up to the problem we're going to find ourselves living in a mini Moyross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭busymom31

gufnork wrote: »
    MarkR wrote: »

*Do I really have to say this isn't true? Probably. We were perfectly normal, like most of the people I know.[/QU

Anti-social behaviour is a huge problem in Shannon. It's just being kept very quiet. I was in Shannon Garda station last week listening to a mother arguing that her 12 year old son, who had been arrested for putting fireworks in someones letterbox, should be given his tobbacco back! I don't believe in judging anybody based on whether they live in council or privately rented or mortgaged homes. The problem is attitude. Shannon is a relatively small town made up of relatively small housing estates. It cannot afford to take in the amount of problem famillies being relocated from Limerick. I have no bias against Limerick people. Unfortunately the majority of people being rehoused from Limerick are problematic. Ask a guard and they'll tell you that our councillors are signing off on these people coming into the town and county. Limerick County council pay Clare County council to take them. Our own councillors then pay lip service to people affected by anti-social behaviour and pass the buck on the matter. The reality is that there are good people and bad people and Shannon is receiving disproportionately more of the latter than we can cope with. If people don't wake up to the problem we're going to find ourselves living in a mini Moyross.

i dont think the anti social issues that are in shannon are any different from towns up and down the country. Shannon is very lacking in a lot of things and we should look to many smallers towns and try to learn some sense of community. there will always be a few that will destroy an area.

I hope your life improves now that 'Lady' and her family have moved away from next door to you. I had my house broken into by these scum i know it was them for reasons i wont go into on here. needless to say nothing was done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

You do sub-contractor work for council houses in Shannon and you have the nerve to say the tenants wreck them and expect the council to refurb them - you have some nerve.

Well they do and I'll stand over what I said..
    I used to rent a Shannon county council house. Due to the rent assessed on income and I had a good income I was paying more in rent than what many of my friends were paying on their mortgage and I had the most unprofessional sub-contractors enter my HOME and treat it and me like scum all because I was a council tenant.

Then you should have complained and not let them in your house.
    Here are a couple of examples of my encounters with said sub-contractors, there are many more. I'm not implying this was you by any means but a sub-contractor used by the council.....

One day sub-contractors called to do some wood work in the attic.
    They brought dirty wood through my home as they had to cover some tank in the attic. They cut the wood upstairs on the landing and used my laundry basket as a bench. The entire contents of the laundry basket had to be thrown out because all of the clothes were destroyed from sawdust. Were my clothes replaced - NO!
    Also, I later discovered the dirty wood they used contaminated the attic with woodworm. I had to pay for the wood to be treated, not the council or the sub-contractors. The treatment company who treated the wood identified the wood brought in by the sub-contractors as the wood which contaminated the joyces in the attic and advised there was no way the wood used was purchased from a reputable merchant.

Again, why didn't you complain and go to the council with receipts of money you spent getting the work redone, I know that's what I would do.

I can't answer for other contractors because their is cowboys out there but if you don't complain they will be always there, cutting wood on your clothes basket is wrong and I don't condone it..

But you not have washed the clothes rather than throw them out?
    Another day the house required a new circuit board and a sub-contractor from the council came to fit it.
    On St. Stephens' day the new circuit board went up on fire in the afternoon. As the circuit board is at the end of my stairs, if the fire happened during the night instead of the afternoon my family would have not been able to escape through downstairs. I got the ESB to come and examine the board. I later discovered the switch used for the shower which overheated and caused the fire (I was having a shower at the time) was the incorrect switch and the ESB advisor told me the person who fitted the switch would have known this as they forced it in as it really didn't fit. Not alone that, other parts of the circuit board fittings were not up to ESB standard regulation. The box was fitted not long before the fire. Who paid for the upgrade of the box, ME!

I find this really hard to believe, for one reason only, that if somebody did this in my house I would not be paying for it myself, I really find it hard to believe that you were ignored again by the council when I've see them bend over backwards for tenants

You really should think about contacting a solicitor to reclaim all that money you spent..
    So before you start knocking the people in Shannon who rent council houses have a long look at the sub-contractors who are hired to refurb them. I can see how some people would not accept what I have accepted and could go to alternative lengths to have better standards provided.

Now let me tell you some things from what I've seen

People being given houses with the best of new stuff in them

One family had a house that I wouldn't let my dog sleep in and they got
    a new kitchen
    fire proof doors
    tiled kitchen/bathroom/hallway
    new fireplace and new stove in kitchen
    house insulated walls/attic
    oil heating and new rads
    house painted inside and out
    new frames and skirting

nearly a new house

6 weeks later I had to go back to replace 3 doors and they had peoples name scratched into the bedroom walls..

Animals, the houses they are getting are too good for them and they have no respect for them when they get all that for nothing..

That is only one example, but this is after all a public forum and I have a business to run..

Take care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Right, I've had enough of this thread and it seems to be just descending into a slagging match about council estates, I realise that there are multiple POV for every situation and there are exceptions to almost everything (even exceptions), I'm going to lock this thread.

If you want to have a thread about Shannon, please open a thread to discuss the town, personally I think it's a great example of a new town in a new country and I enjoyed almost every day of my 8 years working there. If you want to discuss council estates, find another forum. If you want to discuss shoddy workmen, again, find another forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement