Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to change subjects?

• 28-02-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Im in 5th year. I do chemistry but I want to change it to applied maths. I do honours maths and would consider myslef pretty good at it (A standard LC).

If I change from chemistry to AM now would it be too late to catch up all the work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

IMO, no, but it depends on the strength of your abillity (not trying to sound bad here)

Some people can teach themselves the whole course in a year, so obviously it wouldn't be a problem for them. But to take the class in my school for example, they've done a Vectors chapter, Accelerated Linear Motion, Relative Velocity, and about half of Projectiles.

It's not a huge amount of work, and if you find a good person outside school, you can catch up in a couple of hour-long grinds, like I did. ( I had already done Vectors and ALM mind, and we did all of projectiles)

I'm basically teaching myself now, and am about 2 questions ahead of my school class, so its definitely doable :)

Just remember, practice is definitely neccessary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Not too late at all, applied maths is a lovely short course and an absolute gift for someone who is good at maths. Change now and you can always do some work over the summer to catch up/overtake the class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Are you incredibly brilliant at maths? Like the best in your entire year? Because otherwise now is a bit late in the game. Its not like other subjects, you can either do it or you can't, so I'd be very careful swapping over.

Advertisement