Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beech hedging

Options
  • 28-02-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about planting a beech hedge later in the year. The soil where i plan to plant the hedge would b very sandy and not a lot of topsoil. Can beech hedging grow in these soil conditions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I was thinking about planting a beech hedge later in the year. The soil where i plan to plant the hedge would b very sandy and not a lot of topsoil. Can beech hedging grow in these soil conditions?

Is the soil naturally Sandy?
    Beech Prefer a well drained soil, so you have that if the site is naturally sandy.

It might not be a bad idea to add some manure to enrich the soil before planting and add as a mulch as time goes on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, bear in mind that bare root beech - the cheap option - will only be available for another month or two.

Advertisement