Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picasa vs. Proprietary software

• 28-02-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31

My gf just got a Nikon D60

For capturing photos from the camera and general photo management would you recommend using Picasa or Nikon's proprietary software (currently, Nikon ViewNX 2 I think)?

I have Photoshop on my machine so not asking about image manipulation software at all.

Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

so are you looking for a cataloging program? have a look at lightroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Picasa is proprietary software. It's written by Google programmers, and to the best of my knowledge isn't open-source. (although it isn't specific to any particular camera or brand.)

I prefer Lightroom for organising and basic functions. I find a lot of others a bit anaemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I am a long-term Picasa user.

Pros of Picasa:
    - Simple file management.
    - It is free!
    - 1-click publishing to Picasaweb
    - crop/rotate/contrast/sharpen very simple to use, and work quite well.

Cons of Picasa
    - Image editing capability is limited.
    - No layers or curves for example
    - Healing tool is very weak, works only with small blemishes
    - can process RAW files but generally its image editing tools are not advanced enough for this to be any great advantage.
    - Cannot add IPTC info to batches of photos, and tagging tools are a bit basic. (Big con for pros here)

I think Picasa is great if
    - you are new to photography
    - If, like me, you are not that interested in post-processing
    - If you are happy doing your own file management & backups etc manually.

Lightroom, photoshop & other programs (ACDSee pro, Bibble, etc) - I have trialled some of these & I have found that, in general,
    - Image processing functions are much better than Picasa
    - Image tagging functions are superior to Picasa
    -file management is more complex.

For me, Picasa pros outweigh the cons. I am planning to buy editing software in the next 12 months or so as I am now getting to the stage (after about 6 years or so) where I think my photography will benefit .

But it is a personal decision. Some people could be quite happy to, say, spend less time taking photos, and more time editing/processing them, and for those people I would expect that Picasa would be inadequate. Others, like me, like to experiment & take lots of photos, but prefer not to spend as much time editing/enhancing them.

This is longer than I thought it would be! Hope it is helpful.

-FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 BTM

Thanks for the replies

>>Picasa is proprietary software.

Yeah, bundled software would have been a better word to use.

>>have a look at lightroom

A bit early to be spending on software, but maybe she'll want something like this when she's been at it a year or two.

In the end, I stuck with Nikon Transfer for capturing the photos from the card as Picasa doesn't allow for custom renaming based on EXIF data.

Skipped Nikon ViewNX 2 and chose Picasa for organization/viewing/basic editing.

The facial recognition feature is great. That wasn't there the last time I tried Picasa!

Advertisement