Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DHCP Server... cant access it. 169.254

• 28-02-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I cant access the server when i turn on my router and it keeps coming up with the APIPA address when i turn the router on. I have to unplug the router and plug it back in every time i turn it on. Any ideas how to sort it out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

martin g wrote: »
    I cant access the server when i turn on my router and it keeps coming up with the APIPA address when i turn the router on. I have to unplug the router and plug it back in every time i turn it on. Any ideas how to sort it out?

First two things to check:
    1. The server and the router may have the same IP address... (could be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
    2. Both the server and the router may be running DHCP service...

If you could find out the router IP, server IP, and do an IPCONFIG /ALL on the client ... post them here..

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭martin g

First two things to check:
    1. The server and the router may have the same IP address... (could be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
    2. Both the server and the router may be running DHCP service...

If you could find out the router IP, server IP, and do an IPCONFIG /ALL on the client ... post them here..

The DHCP server and the default gateway are the same address....

That's not enough information for me to be able to help you Martin..

It could be the case that both devices (router and server) boot up with the same IP address, and when you send out a DHCPBroadcast, it's whichever device receives your broadcast first that will assign you your IP Address / Gateway / DNS Server... .

You need to run IPCONFIG /ALL from the command prompt on your own PC, and post the IP, Gateway, DNS, DHCP Servers here... Also you need to get the IP details of the server....

The default IP address of your router may be written on it.. or in the manual.. with most routers you can put their IP address in the browser and it will let you configure it..

Im after selling the selling the computer i was using as a server and going to get a new one...
    DNS is 216.146.35. and 216.146.36.
    Default gateway and DHCP server 192.168.1.1
    ip 192.168.1.3

Okay well that's different... From what you've given me there, I would assume that the router is now on 192.168.1.1 AND it is also operating as a DHCP server ... When you're computer boots it sends a DHCP request (a request to be provided with an IP address/gateway settings/DNS settings.. i.e. enough information for your pc to be able to connect to the Internet without you having to manually configure anything) .. By the fact that you are being assigned 192.168.1.33 means that DHCP IS working ...

now.... the question is "what goes wrong when you get an APIPA address".. this should only happen when a) The DHCP service is not available on the router or b) communication with the router is down altogether.. The router may be crashing intermittently, or (particularly if you are on wireless) you may be losing communication with it..

• Advertisement

Its not a wireless connection
    It gets a ip address after i unplug it and plug it back in,have to do that 2 or 3 times sometimes... ive tried to set static ips but that didnt help

Have you any other devices on your network? If so, do they experience similar.

It seems to me then that it's an issue with the router, which seems to crash periodically and then takes a few power cycles to kick start it again... Do you have a spare router you could try..

I have another computer and thats grand when i turn it on...
    I might be able to get a router off a mate and try that...

I have another computer and thats grand when i turn it on....

okay thats something new.... WHEN you experience issues with the router try running this statement on both computers.... from the Command Prompt

PING 192.168.1.1

If the issue IS with the router, neither client should be able to contact it.. I'd also check the IP settings on the other PC (to make sure that both settings are the same)...

Pinged from both computers and both got 4 replys from 192.168.1.1

The DHCP, DEFAULT GATEWAY AND DNS server are the same address on the 2nd computer...

• Advertisement

Pinged from both computers and both got 4 replys from 192.168.1.1

ok that's fine.. you just need to do the same when you have the IP address issue.. If the router is crashing, pings from BOTH computers should receive no response.. There could be a problem with the cable from your computer, and I just need to rule that out... yolu know what I mean?

Ive changed the cables and it still happens...
    Ill turn off the router and when i get no ip ill ping them and see what comes up...

The 2nd computer can connect to the internet but the 1st one comes up with the APIPA address and no default gateway showing...
    When i go to network connections on the computer with the APIPA ip it say to unplug the modem for 10 seconds and plug it back in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

The DHCP server and the default gateway are the same address....

i think Jonathon was referring the the actual server not the router's dhcp server.

the router's dhcp server = default gateway

this is typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

the actual server's (ex: windows server) IP address should be manually set to 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.1.254

then the dhcp lan address pool should be between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.253 or 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.253

this will avoid ip conflicts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Testament

i think Jonathon was referring the the actual server not the router's dhcp server.

the router's dhcp server = default gateway

this is typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

the actual server's (ex: windows server) IP address should be manually set to 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.1.254

then the dhcp lan address pool should be between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.253 or 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.253

this will avoid ip conflicts

he shoul set the tcp/ip settings to automatically if the routers dhcp server is enabled!

Advertisement