Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi, can you tell me if this wood is plywood or not?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

I know it's impossible to tell without touching it, but can you hazard a guess from these photos? I'm trying to sell the chess board and don't know what type of wood it is. You don't have to tell me what type of wood it is, just tell me if you think it's plywood or not! Particularly the pieces. They do have a grain, but they are pretty light. Thanks.

IMG_6441Copy.jpg

IMG_6439Copy.jpg

IMG_6436Copy.jpg

IMG_6435Copy.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The chess pieces dont look like plywood anyway, but i would say there is a good chance the playing surface is, as it would be stronger than a thin piece of non laminated wood (ply)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Mmmm, the pieces are definitely solid wood IMO. The board kind of looks like ply at the first glance, but the engraving looks very crisp with no spalling or chipping - something that would be present in ply especially on the very thin and delicate areas, so I'd hazard the board is solid as well. I may of course be thin pieces of solid wood on some sort of base (laminate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Mmmm, the pieces are definitely solid wood IMO. The board kind of looks like ply at the first glance, but the engraving looks very crisp with no spalling or chipping - something that would be present in ply especially on the very thin and delicate areas, so I'd hazard the board is solid as well. I may of course be thin pieces of solid wood on some sort of base (laminate).

Look at the grain on the underside of the board compared to the grain of the engraved playing surface. Laminated i would say. Playing pieces are solid alright by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Whizzzz

If you are trying to figure out the value of the set to sell it I'd suggest it's not a particularly high quality set I'm afraid. The carving looks burnt on to the wood rather than actually carved. The dark chess pieces look like stained light wood rather than solid dark wood and the box itself looks fairly mass produced - the top and bottom look like untreated plywood and the corner joints are basic 45 degree butt joints with a metal staple of some type holding them together rather than any nice hand made dovetail joints or similar that you'd find in a higher value / higher quality set. Sorry !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Not a bother whizz thanks! I wasn't expecting much anyways as I thought it was ALL plywood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Look at the grain on the underside of the board compared to the grain of the engraved playing surface. Laminated i would say. Playing pieces are solid alright by the look of it.

Which pic's the underside of the board?

Edit: Oh, I see, it's the box is it? Folded open it becomes the playing board. I think Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzz is on the dot here.

Advertisement