Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moved to 24mb NGB - why did I get new modem?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I was already on 24Mb broadband and now migrated over to 24Mb NGB. For some inexplicable reason, I received a new modem (yup another of those crappy locked down Zyxels) and no amount of telling the courier that I didn't want the modem and to send it back worked.
    These guys just kept coming back and asking for the old one (same persistence of a debt collector). Out of desperation I finally dug up the identical model from the attic and gave it to him.

Is this practice normal? Surely it is a waste of money?
    Given that I now have another of these modems (which I will not use because it is so poor), is there any way to swap it out for something decent? I'm happy to pay the difference, if required.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Italia wrote: »
    I was already on 24Mb broadband and now migrated over to 24Mb NGB. For some inexplicable reason, I received a new modem (yup another of those crappy locked down Zyxels) and no amount of telling the courier that I didn't want the modem and to send it back worked.
    These guys just kept coming back and asking for the old one (same persistence of a debt collector). Out of desperation I finally dug up the identical model from the attic and gave it to him.

Is this practice normal? Surely it is a waste of money?
    Given that I now have another of these modems (which I will not use because it is so poor), is there any way to swap it out for something decent? I'm happy to pay the difference, if required.

Hi Italia,

Apologies, I should have made you aware that when a customer upgrades to the 24MB NGB that a new modem is sent out as some of the Zyxel modems may not be ADSL2 compatible.

However if your Zyxel is working ok, which it obviously is then it's all good.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Hi Mark,

thanks for the reply.
    I actually don't use the zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3 because the firmware is so poor. No amount of tinkering with the Eircom locked firmware is going to improve it. Hence it is kept in the attic.

Is there any other modem (even if I pay extra) that Eircom can supply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Italia wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

thanks for the reply.
    I actually don't use the zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3 because the firmware is so poor. No amount of tinkering with the Eircom locked firmware is going to improve it. Hence it is kept in the attic.

Is there any other modem (even if I pay extra) that Eircom can supply?

Hi Italia,

I am afraid not the zyxel modem is the only modem available to customers at the moment.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement