Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with green in my digital prints

• 28-02-2011 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Every time I develop photographs with tones of Green/ Blue The photos look like they've been Pixelated. I shoot with a Nikon D70s, Cloudy setting, vivid colour, any suggestions

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Could you post an example please?
    Do you mean digital prints as in the Jpeg files or prints on paper of the digital files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Are you sending too low a resolution to the printer?

Another VERY common reason would be that you're shooting using an Adobe 1998 RGB color space, and not converting to a smaller color space before sending the files to print.
    Adobe 1998 (and things like Kodak Pro Photo RGB) contain a lot of colors that can't be reproduced by a lot of equipment, and trying to reproduce those larger spaces on equipment that can't handle it can result in "haloing" where things that are supposed to be finely shaded end up with big, choppy segments that look like they are full of JPEG-compression noise.

Converting to an sRGB color profile tends to minimise this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bluestack13

Could you post an example please?
    Do you mean digital prints as in the Jpeg files or prints on paper of the digital files?

Thanks for responding to this.

These are Jpeg Files developed in the Fuji Camera centre. the ISO is 640 due to it being a dull gloomy day and I may have used a flash. the Problem does not show up untill the Photo is printed. Unfortunately invariably the green / blue have bad noise if that is the word to describe pixelated. Anyhow I will attached a copy of one of the photo's badly effected ! second photo is ISO 800 with same problem. I dont have any prints available atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I've downloaded both of your images, and looked at them carefully. What I describe above with color profiles not being set right.. is exactly what is going on.

Open your pictures in Photoshop, pull down the "Edit" menu, and select "Assign Color Profile" Hopefully your working space is set to something other than Nikon sRGB for the Eileen & Donaghsoftglow picture.. the other picture has no associated color profile.
    Bringing the up in GIMP.. they look horribly over-cyan.. the cyan is totally out of control.
    When you open them up, if your working space is set to something specific, Photoshop should ask you if you want to convert to the working space, keep the existing profile, or discard the existing profile and NOT color manage the document.
    Choose discard and don't color-manage the image. You'll see how over-cyan/green the image is immediately. If it doesn't prompt you to keep.convert/discard, you can just assign in the next step.

When the box comes up, make sure "Preview" is ticked, and assign the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile..and you'll see the greens magically change color to something a lot nicer, and you'll see a lot of detail pop in in the cloth,of the baby's jumper that just isn't there before. If you didn't get prompted in the last step, assign Kodak ProPhotoRGB or Adobe RGB (1998) or Adobe RGB (I think the second one is newer, and a larger space... then go back to the sRGB.)

Before sending your images to print, you need to make sure you convert them to a color-profile that most printing equipment can actually reproduce. The sRGB above is generally good.. from the looks of things Nikon's variant on it is *NOT* good. (It's probably meant to be a source color profile only.)

I would try & do a before & after.. but putting it into Photoshop and ASSIGNING color profiles will illustrate better than doing all the work to create a new side-by-side.

Because the colors are there in the image, and the printing equipment is either getting a color profile it doesn't understand (The Fuji equipment doesn't come pre-loaded with every new color-profile in existence, unfortunately.) or in the case of the DSC-labeled image..there is no color-profile embedded in the image.. it's just pushing through the "real" colors that are in the image.. which are that horribly cyan/greeny mess. (This is what the camera actually shot, with no translation due to color profiling.)

Make sure the files you're going to print get converted to the generic sRGB color profile (or better, a color-profile specific to the printer and paper you're using.) before you send them off to the photolab, and your problem will go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bluestack13

Thanks Heebie
    There's alot to digest so I'll go through my setting and post processing over the next couple of days it been an ongoing issue with my printed photos from the lab so it'd be great to get a solution that solves the issue once and for all! I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers
    Bluestack13

• Advertisement
Advertisement