Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend snow and storm in Yosemite (big pics)

• 28-02-2011 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Went to Yosemite this weekend because my g/f was a finalist at an annual photographic contest they have there, and was pretty excited about the potential massive snow dump that was supposed to start the day before we left and continued on until Sunday, when we'd depart.

It snowed before we got there and intermittently while we were there, but nothing huge. The existing snow cover was enough, and there was a LOT of clearing/occluding light play all over the valley to make things very interesting. I took a LOT of duplicates in B&W w/a red 29 filter and then in color, and can't decide which ones I prefer. Almost everything was shot w/a circular polarizer, PP in Photoscape in .jpg, and no color mods anywhere.

It was likely under 30 degrees the whole time until Sunday, and chains were required.

Two of the three Cathedral Rocks w/the Cathedral Spires, early Sat morning.

P1000539.jpg

El Cap, Sat morning. Should have moved out of the way of the branches, but I've shot this place so often I'm afraid to say now that I didn't care.

P1000543.jpg

Another warhorse, Tunnel View, but this time in B&W. Quite pleased w/the results, and the weather got MUCH worse when we returned later that day.

P1000544.jpg

Sun playing off of the west side of the Cathedral Rocks, Bridalveil Falls at the lower left.

P1000547.jpg

El Cap from the road, just after the Wawona/Bridalveil Falls turnoff.

P1000552.jpg

Famous rock climbing spire, "The Rostrum", as the afternoon storm approaches.

P1000558.jpg

Cascade Creek

P1000573.jpg

Royal Arches as afternoon fog hides North Dome.

P1000584.jpg

One of the slopes that ascend to Glacier Point, near the 4 Mile Trail

P1000588.jpg

Light playing off North Wall, juuuuuust west of Royal Arches.

P1000601.jpg

El Cap, peaking through the late afternoon mist, taken from South Side Road a short ways past the entrance to Cathedral Beach.

P1000614.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Beautiful...#1 & #5 stand out for me.... Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Wow, Thanks! I'm heading here myself shortly for a few days....drooling already! (don't know if I'll fit my tripod into the luggage, but I'm sorely tempted.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

#1 is let down slightly by some haloing in the top right - might be an idea for a smoother gradient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Cool shots.....

I visited there just as I was getting into photography. Wish I could go back! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Prenderb wrote: »
    Wow, Thanks! I'm heading here myself shortly for a few days....drooling already! (don't know if I'll fit my tripod into the luggage, but I'm sorely tempted.)

You NEED a tripod there. Perhaps buy a cheap one here on the way up, in Merced?

It's a very common site to see tourists there with really high dollar cameras and lenses, shooting near sunset/rise, w/no tripod and I can't help but wonder how their shots must turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I often get jealous of other users shots in this forum, but never as much as now. Any time I see shots of Yosemite, it makes me want to go back.

Amazing shots, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

TelePaul wrote: »
    I often get jealous of other users shots in this forum, but never as much as now. Any time I see shots of Yosemite, it makes me want to go back.

Amazing shots, well done.

Thanks! I took a whopping (for me) 66 pics and was afraid I'd posted too many.

The g/f took almost 500. I don't envy her when we get home, having to sort through all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The pics are really fab, but I can only imagine that they don't even come close to the real-life experience, even if you blowed them up to the size of your living room wall !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Awesome shots. Though I can't help but think that most of the B&W would look better in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Absolutely love no. 2 and 6...was in Yosemite last year and can't wait to get back... Great work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Amazing images,, well done,.

BRAVO>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Just great fotos.Amazing!!

Advertisement