Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VEC leaving cert 2 years

• 28-02-2011 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

is it really for 2 years????
    I'll be 22 by the time its finished, I dont think i can do that. i need to get out of Ireland as fast as possible., 2 years is way too long.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lilith.11 wrote: »
    is it really for 2 years????
    I'll be 22 by the time its finished, I dont think i can do that. i need to get out of Ireland as fast as possible., 2 years is way too long.

:confused:
    There is no such thing as a VEC Leaving Cert.

What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lilith.11

spurious wrote: »
    :confused:
    There is no such thing as a VEC Leaving Cert.

What are you talking about?

i mean the VEC leaving cert programme

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Again, there is no specific 'VEC Leaving cert programme'.
    The Leaving Cert course in almost all schools is a two year programme.
    Many repeat Leaving courses are only one year, but they presume you have already done the two year course in the first place.

To do the LC programmes in six or seven subjects from scratch in one year would be pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

spurious wrote: »
    To do the LC programmes in six or seven subjects from scratch in one year would be pushing it.
    There's no stopping you though. I'd say if you were serious about studying there's nothing stopping anyone from doing six or seven subjects in one year. All it needs is self-discipline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Are you talking about the Leaving Cert course offered in VEC Adult Education centres? If so, yes, it's 2 years. Why wouldn't it be? The course takes two years after all. Many students opting to go this route left education early and/or may have been out of education for a long time; the VECs aren't offering a cheap grind school programme.

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Leaving Cert course offered in VEC Adult Education centres? If so, yes, it's 2 years. Why wouldn't it be? The course takes two years after all. Many students opting to go this route left education early and/or may have been out of education for a long time; the VECs aren't offering a cheap grind school programme.

ooooh god thats upsetting. I havent done it before but i'm really going to do it soon, so i can get out of Ireland and move to Germany. I want a leaving cert so i can have some sort of education history in my CV's etc needed for work to move but 2 years is so long!! I want to get out of here as fast as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

You can move to Germany without a leaving cert. You can do the equivalent of the Leaving Cert in Germany. As far as i know it will probably take about 2 years.

You can move to Germany without a leaving cert. You can do the equivalent of the Leaving Cert in Germany. As far as i know it will probably take about 2 years.

what qualifcations do you need in Germany to get a job??

i dont know exactly. contact the German Embassy.
    It is easy to get work as an au pair ( baby minder), from Ireland with no qualification - reply to advertisements online or from newspaper.

In the big german cities ( Cologne, Berlin, ) work in bars and cafes need no qualification - an ability to work hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

If you wanted you can take either the Abitur, Realschulabschluss, or the Hauptschulabschluss, but remember that the German education system is soooo much different to the Irish one - for example most students will be streamed in German schools after 4th grade so I would seriously consider staying in Ireland to do the Leaving Cert and then emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

in some VECs, the VTOS centres offer the LC in one year. Must be on social welfare to go there. It's very hard work to do it in one year - really 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

If you wanted you can take either the Abitur, Realschulabschluss, or the Hauptschulabschluss, but remember that the German education system is soooo much different to the Irish one - for example most students will be streamed in German schools after 4th grade so I would seriously consider staying in Ireland to do the Leaving Cert and then emigrate.

Pros about doing the Abi though is that most students are 19/20 when they sit it in comparison to 17/18 for the LC. That might be more suited to your age group. But then wouldn't everything be in German obviously enough?

Just take the English exam there ;)

There are two issues here - am I right Lilleth?

1) move to germany
    2) get an educational qualification

As far as I know you should be able to get basic work in Germany without a qualification.

An educational qualification is important because the more qualifications you have the more work opportunities are open to you.

You could get this in germany, studying part time while you are working, but if you don't speak german its difficult.

You could do a PLC course in Ireland with a VEC. This will give you a qualification equivalent to the Leaving Cert in one year - level 4 or 5.

Advertisement