Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU citizen applying for Garda Reserve

• 28-02-2011 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi lads. I want to apply for the Garda Reserve.

I`ve downloaded the interview application form from the public jobs website, however i am a bit confused about how to fill in the Educational Qualifications section.

I have taken my Leaving Certificate in Romania, and it is different to the one you have here, In Ireland. There is no levels in the leaving certificate in Romania, such as pass, foundation or honours. everyone takes the same tests all over the country.

How should i go about filling in all those sections?

I have my leaving cert translated that`s no problem, i`ve had tests in 2 languages and maths, that again is no problem.

I`m currently doing a level 8 course in WIT, in my final year -ill be finished in june this year so i`m thinking maybe i should not fill in the Leaving Certificate section at all and write only about the fact that im doing a course in college? Any ideas?

ANY suggestions will be of great help, i dont know what to do and i want to apply for this.

Thanks 4 all your help !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 razvan_ghetau

also ... the grades on my leaving certificate aren`t like they are here. We have grades from 1 to 10 in Romania, whereas here you have A, B, C, etc
    Very confused, hope someone out there can help. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey Razvan_Ghetau welcome to the Garda Reserve Fourm:)

With regards to your queries I would advise you to include your Leaving Certificate results as this shows how you preform academically, however from what you have said I understand that the scoring system used in Romania is different to Ireland so I think the best move you can make is contacting Public Jobs who will be happy to assist you with your questions and any other queries you may have with your application form as Public Jobs deal with all applicants until such a stage should you pass the Interview/Written test, then your application will be forwarded to the Garda Reserve Office in Garda HQ.

You can contact Public Jobs using the following information:

Public Appointments Service,
    Chapter House,
    26/30 Abbey Street Upper,
    Dublin 1,
    Ireland.
    Lo-Call: 1890-449999
    Tel: + 353-1-858-7400
    Fax: + 353-1-8587500
    Fax: + 353-1-8587574
    Email: info@publicjobs.ie
    Opening Hours: 9:15 AM - 5:15 PM

If you need anymore help don't <Mod Snip> hesitate in asking in the forum

Tommy-Kerry :cool:

Hey Razvan_Ghetau welcome to the Garda Reserve Fourm:)

With regards to your queries I would advise you to include your Leaving Certificate results as this shows how you preform academically, however from what you have said I understand that the scoring system used in Romania is different to Ireland so I think the best move you can make is contacting Public Jobs who will be happy to assist you with your questions and any other queries you may have with your application form as Public Jobs deal with all applicants until such a stage should you pass the Interview/Written test, then your application will be forwarded to the Garda Reserve Office in Garda HQ.

You can contact Public Jobs using the following information:

Public Appointments Service,
    Chapter House,
    26/30 Abbey Street Upper,
    Dublin 1,
    Ireland.
    Lo-Call: 1890-449999
    Tel: + 353-1-858-7400
    Fax: + 353-1-8587500
    Fax: + 353-1-8587574
    Email: info@publicjobs.ie
    Opening Hours: 9:15 AM - 5:15 PM

If you need anymore help don't <Mod Snip> hesitate in asking in the forum.

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome :D
    I forgot i posted this thread, even though i only did it today !

I got it sorted after all, i read the application form again and i noticed a sentence in there that said : "*If applying for exemption from Leaving Certificate or equivalent qualification please indicate here."

So, i can tell them about my diploma, more relieved now :D

I`ve one more question though - someone wrote a guide to applying for Garda Reserve on this forum ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055677315 ) and they said there that you have to download the INTERVIEW APPLICATION FORM , complete it and send it through email/post.

Now, i`ve just signed up today for campaign updates for the garda reserve. Do i wait for them to email/phone me and ask me to send that application form OR do i just fill it out and send it off anyway?

The feel that i got from browsing this forum is that you can download it and send it away without them contacting you beforehand. Dont know what to do, i have it filled out but dont know whether to send it or not :(

Thanks for your reply and all your help, appreciated!
    Raz

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome :D
    I forgot i posted this thread, even though i only did it today !

I got it sorted after all, i read the application form again and i noticed a sentence in there that said : "*If applying for exemption from Leaving Certificate or equivalent qualification please indicate here."

So, i can tell them about my diploma, more relieved now :D

I`ve one more question though - someone wrote a guide to applying for Garda Reserve on this forum ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055677315 ) and they said there that you have to download the INTERVIEW APPLICATION FORM , complete it and send it through email/post.

Now, i`ve just signed up today for campaign updates for the garda reserve. Do i wait for them to email/phone me and ask me to send that application form OR do i just fill it out and send it off anyway?

The feel that i got from browsing this forum is that you can download it and send it away without them contacting you beforehand. Dont know what to do, i have it filled out but dont know whether to send it or not :(

Thanks for your reply and all your help, appreciated!
    Raz

Your more than welcome :D

Id advise you to just send it in, this is what a few people I know did, they just emailed it to Public Jobs and then they emailed back confirming that they received the application. If you are still unsure just email Public Jobs with your query and they should reply fairly quick.

Your more than welcome :D

Id advise you to just send it in, this is what a few people I know did, they just emailed it to Public Jobs and then they emailed back confirming that they received the application. If you are still unsure just email Public Jobs with your query and they should reply fairly quick.

Thanks Tommy-Kerry ! Are you a reserve? Currently in the process? I`m hoping to be succesfull with my application and become a reserve in the near future. Would love to do it - im aiming at a full time job with AGS in the future, that`s why i`m going for the Reserves! :)

Raz

• Advertisement

Thanks Tommy-Kerry ! Are you a reserve? Currently in the process? I`m hoping to be succesfull with my application and become a reserve in the near future. Would love to do it - im aiming at a full time job with AGS in the future, that`s why i`m going for the Reserves! :)

Raz

No i'm not a reserve, but I currently am in the process. Im currently waiting on vetting/security checks which to my understanding are nearly complete. Do understand that the application process can sometimes take time, in some cases it can take from a short period of time up to more than 2 years so try and be patient, but hopefully you wont be waiting too long ;) I think your move to join the Garda Reserve is a wise one as you intend joining AGS as a Student Garda in the future and in my opinion will give you al ot of experience and will help you make your decision weather to apply to AGS in the future as a full time Garda.

I wish you the best of luck with your application,

Tommy-Kerry

No i'm not a reserve, but I currently am in the process. Im currently waiting on vetting/security checks which to my understanding are nearly complete. Do understand that the application process can sometimes take time, in some cases it can take from a short period of time up to more than 2 years so try and be patient, but hopefully you wont be waiting too long ;) I think your move to join the Garda Reserve is a wise one as you intend joining AGS as a Student Garda in the future and in my opinion will give you al ot of experience and will help you make your decision weather to apply to AGS in the future as a full time Garda.

Tommy-Kerry

Yes, at least i`ll know for sure whether i want to join full time or not after this experience. 2 years? That is a long wait ! How long have you been waiting? Bit discouraged after reading that :(
    Ahh, if that`s how it is i suppose i`ll have to wait just like everybody else :)

Yes, at least i`ll know for sure whether i want to join full time or not after this experience. 2 years? That is a long wait ! How long have you been waiting? Bit discouraged after reading that :(
    Ahh, if that`s how it is i suppose i`ll have to wait just like everybody else :)

I sent in my application in Dec 2009, I then passed the interview/written test, in June 2010 i handed in my BR form (Security Vetting form) and have met with a local inspector and a Sergeant and I have been waiting since for word on a medical exam if I pass the vetting/security requirements! Yeah it can be a long wait in some cases but it may not be, nobody knows! If its what you really want I head it is really worth the wait! :D

Tommy-Kerry:cool:

I sent in my application in Dec 2009, I then passed the interview/written test, in June 2010 i handed in my BR form (Security Vetting form) and have met with a local inspector and a Sergeant and I have been waiting since for word on a medical exam if I pass the vetting/security requirements! Yeah it can be a long wait in some cases but it may not be, nobody knows! If its what you really want I head it is really worth the wait! :D

Tommy-Kerry:cool:

That`s a long time you`ve been waiting ! I wish all the best with your application and i hope you`ll be a reserve very soon ! I know for a fact it is worth it ! Among the best police forces in the world , you only hear good things about AN Garda Siochana abroad ! Goodluck mate !
    Cheers , thanks for all your help :)
    Raz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭snams

Hi Raz, did you manage to get in?

• Advertisement

snams wrote: »
    Hi Raz, did you manage to get in?
    No, went to the interview about 1 year ago and was rejected unfortunately. Getting ready for the garda interviews now. Its going to be hard but I hope Ill get in next year. Theyre saying that they will start recruiting in 2013 . Ciao

Advertisement