Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Def Leppard, Alice Cooper and Thin Lizzy - June 8th 02 Arena

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Should be a great night, Leppard were great the last night with Whitesnake/Journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Setlist from Belfast tonight thanks to Defleppardnow.com

1. Undefeated
    2. Action
    3. Let's Get Rocked
    4. Let It Go
    5. Foolin
    6. Make Love Like A Man
    7. Love Bites
    8. Rock On (w/bass solo)
    9. Two Steps Behind (Acoustic)
    10. Bringin On The Heartbreak (Acoustic)
    11. Switch 625
    12. Rocket (extended)
    13. Hysteria
    14. Armageddon It
    15. Animal
    16. Photograph
    17. Pour Some Sugar On Me
    18. Rock Of Ages

Encore
    19. When Love and Hate Collide
    20. Wasted

Lizzy got a 11 song set
    Cooper got about 1hr-15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Gig is only 20.5 hours away from starting lol.

Coming up from Waterford to it (probly one of a few coming from Outside Dublin to the gig)

I'm one of the few heading from outside Dublin also,from Athy,and i'm seriously looking forward to it.Heading up mainly to see Thin Lizzy and i ain't much of a fan of Def Leppard but i hope that will change after the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

You should really use spoiler tags on the setlist, many people would not wish to know.
    Doesnt bother me tho, tonight is all about The Coop, roll on 5 bells til I start drinking!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Short,drunken,post gig review.

Thin Lizzy - Excellent. Crowd pleasers with tunes we all know and love. Great set of lungs on Ricky Warwick,good fit for the band.

Alice - ****ing amazing. The guy is an absolute legend.

Def Leppard - Terrible tbh. Thought it was just me and my mates that got pissed off after half an hour but a load of people on the Luas were of the same opinion. Sounded like listening to a record tbh. Overly polished,looked like they'd rehearsed the set for 6 months.

Slightly more sober review to come in the morning. Once again though,Alice Cooper is a legend.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

What a gig. Hoarse and hungover this morning.

Alice Cooper was stunning, that was my 6th time to see him and I honestly think it was the best time. The setlist was fantastic too, glad I didnt have a sneaky peek first, Is It My Body and Clones were highlights for me. The crowd really seemed to enjoy him and the Irish Jersey/Flag was a nice touch too. I would like to apologise to the girl whose drink I sent flying due to my freaking out, twas an accident:)

Thin Lizzy were enjoyable tho I thought they faded a bit after The Cowboy Song.

Def Leppard were ok, setlist wasnt bad, lighting and visuals were good, especially for Photograph

The night belonged to The Coop, amazing

@lord lucan, Nice to meet you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I thought it was an amazing gig!

Cooper blew everyone off the f*cking stage! he was absolutely incredible!

Lizzy were class too - great start to the gig, cranked out some classic tunes and cover band or not - they were awesome! (can anyone tell me the names of full line up now though?)

I enjoyed Leppard - but i think after cooper they were always gonna struggle - visually they were amazing, gig did lull a bit but i still really enjoyed them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Already posted something in the threads in the Gigs forum, so in summation, great night, very long (Leppard didn't finish until gone midnight), first time seeing Thin Lizzy, Ricky Warwick does a good job, sound not brilliant, the Coop was fantastic (although I'm a hugely biased fan anyway) and Leppard were slow starters despite a noticeably better sound by then but pretty good.

A win for the Coop, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nyconuntouch

Overall good gig.

not a def lep fan, but was good show by those guys.

Alice cooper the main man of the night.

Thin lizzy unfortunatly a bit of a let down for me, bad sound at the start and bit sloppy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

That was amazing - I'll be smiling for days thinking about it. Good few of us went and painted our eyes Alice Cooper style. Got up a few rows from stage and from runway so the view was great. The atmosphere reminded me of KISS - good energetic vibe and no aggro. Serious star stricken fans :D Alice Cooper = mind blowing <3

Saw Thin Lizzy before in Ambassador which was a better gig but that was fun. I wanted to hear Thunder & Lightning or Cold Sweat. Crowd upfront were too cool to move or dance or sing along which put a downer on it.

Def Leppard just don't know when to stop. It was like "Yay!!" then *encore* then "Yea, good show, thanks Joe" then *encore!* "Ok Joe we get it, safe home...." Too many songs I didn't know. Still though got to see the 6 DL songs I love and just danced like an eejit at the back of the o2.

Between us we got 3 TL plecs, 1 AC plec, 1 DL plec, caught a drum stick which was given up in the epic drumstick struggle, a billion dollar note (Alice's face on it!), a balloon that Alice burst with the sword... Nice haul :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Thin Lizzy - excellent, crowd really behind them. Watching Scott Gorham bashing his way through Emerald gave me the goosebumps. Credit to them for ending on an odd number like Back Rose rather than an easy crowd pleaser. I think they are worthy of the name.

Alice Cooper - Probably the best fun I've ever had at a rock gig. Just brilliant and has the tunes to back the stage show also.

Def Leppard - A bit cheesy even for me but they did the best they could following Cooper. Bass solo and acoustic numbers midset was not a great idea. I was knackered at this point and left before the encore.

jpm4 wrote: »

Bass solo and acoustic numbers midset was not a great idea. .

Oh yea, forgot about the bass solo. That was a realy wtf moment. But they could hardly make Rick do a drum solo now could they? Needs to rest his arm and such....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looking back without the alcoholic haze,pretty much the same opinion as last night. Lizzy are a great band for that type of support slot,get the crowd going. I was impressed by Ricky Warwick.

Tbh anyone trying to follow Alice Cooper last night had a job on their hands. From the minute he set foot on stage he had the crowd eating from the palm of his hands. In an hour he crammed in a huge amount and all eyes were firmly on him. I'd have paid €60 just to see him.

I'm not the worlds biggest Leppard fan so i wasn't giddy with excitement for their set. I found their set sagged during the acoustic numbers. I understand why they construct their setlist the way they do but it just seemed to lose the momentum they'd built up. I found myself getting bored tbh.

Great night though,glad i went as it was a late call.

Good to meet Nea too,random Boardsie meetings ftw.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Well I may aswell throw my opinion in here too......

Lizzy - well I've definitely seen the last reincarnation playing a tighter set, but thought they did a good job in the whole, hopefully they'll tighten up the more they play together, the addition of Richard Fortus may have loosened things up a little but they should have been tighter in my opinion, as for the sound - I wasn't expecting them to get good sound opening up......

Alice - immense, start to finish just a true pro, has a really good band behind him as always (thought the drummer was excellent)......and is an act that everyone should see no matter what music the like, he's one of the last true performers left......was actually standing too close to the front to catch anything, batton went over our heads and a guy 2 rows back got it, plecs the same, the fake money just behind me again :-(
    I'd gotten a glimpse of the setlist as they were setting up the stage, it was taped to an amp......Cherub I was singing away (killing the songs) and there were some people around me singing, but was pretty quiet up front, I think Alice managed to work the crowd up pretty well.....

Def Leppard - well this was the 4th time in 3 years seeing them, so I'd decided if it wasn't doing much for me I'd head off for the bus around 11, still got a decent number of songs and to be honest I was happy enough after hearing Foolin again........I agree with others, the acoustic break and bass solo don't help their set at all, but I can see why they arrange it the way they do, I've heard those tracks on other tours recently so I didn't mind leaving early - besides they were never ever gonna top Alice......

all in all a great nights entertainment, a long one alright, great to see a bill where they let everyone play a decent sized set......

and roll on Sat, Mon and Tues.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Scored a free ticket to this yesterday! Missed Lizzy but Alice Cooper was awesome (first time seeing him live).

I've seen Def Crappard a few times before (they were tagged on to bills eg Whitesnake) and they've never done anything for me. I needed to get drunk to enjoy their set to be honest.

Also I'm not really sure how but the group I was in had seated tickets all went down for a smoke and a bit of banter and ended up in the standing section! Brilliant. :pac:

EDIT: Also my mate spotted something interesting. Himself and another fella went to the bar. The other guy went up first ordered two pints and handed over exact change (12e) and walked off. My mate then noticed the cashier put the transaction in as a pint and a short and pocketed the remainder. Clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

That was amazing - I'll be smiling for days thinking about it. Good few of us went and painted our eyes Alice Cooper style.

I think I saw you on the way in Cherub. Were you wearing purple/black stripey socks and an orange hoody??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

chin_grin wrote: »
    EDIT: Also my mate spotted something interesting. Himself and another fella went to the bar. The other guy went up first ordered two pints and handed over exact change (12e) and walked off. My mate then noticed the cashier put the transaction in as a pint and a short and pocketed the remainder. Clever.

I hope the people running the 02 last night noticed that, if not, I'll be sure to tell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I hope the people running the 02 last night noticed that, if not, I'll be sure to tell them

I don't want to accuse anyone seeing that my mate spotted it, but it is bad form if they're doing this.

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    I think I saw you on the way in Cherub. Were you wearing purple/black stripey socks and an orange hoody??

Yea that was me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

The eye makeup looked deadly Cherub, oh and my boyfriend greatly appreciated your outfit. :P

• Advertisement

Another great night in the 02, all three bands were excellent. Ricky Warwick is a great front man. On the occasions I have seen leppard Phil Collen never just goes through the motions but gives all on stage. Where I was the sound was spot on.

6F57424D7AB34D6AAC69996EB4D10710-0000336305-0002365419-00500L-9E56C01769824A91A0110BDF30434F0B.jpg

386370A328CF47F690167E310F03339B-0000336305-0002365418-00500L-673D171FF9A84D35AD1324A7C07CE57C.jpg

DAEB7EA76F5A4E17B577789506CCBCC9-0000336305-0002365414-00500L-713A8E280D0040539219AD5C696571BA.jpg

712989199DFC43B780EC8DC104F86046-0000336305-0002365413-00500L-6140E1F8F08F4775812A2F5C799CA084.jpg

9E64CAA4800147DD91C8DE4B74C62B0C-0000336305-0002365411-00500L-CC5D0681CCC74F539A0754C6DDD153C3.jpg

6744105657BA4097AB6484A112EAE732-0000336305-0002365410-00500L-70ACF252049543C884538AFABD92D887.jpg

F8AC04F644CA4D5E9B136E87AD77EAFC-0000336305-0002365409-00500L-F8C7523A01F34215B9162366DB0F1B30.jpg

90C9BDB26D0443D19F164D001E798597-0000336305-0002365408-00500L-FDE7DB06C6C3465E902C840C1B314DB2.jpg

7D6470A98EA34F2CA25F8DA6A6996BBC-0000336305-0002365405-00500L-1530F1591D5E4595AE93EED6A497E8F3.jpg

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    The eye makeup looked deadly Cherub, oh and my boyfriend greatly appreciated your outfit. :P

Hahahah! It's hot at concerts is all.... :p

Thanks, I did it on the bus on the way in! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I'd say Richard Fortus enjoyed finally getting to play in the point and not having to walk off after 20 minutes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Does Phil Collen own any shirts?

oldscoil wrote: »
    Does Phil Collen own any shirts?

He sure does but they're all the same and skin coloured.

Advertisement