Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Analysis of ESB usage

• 28-02-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

:)

Does anyone know how much it costs to run (on average) the following average household appliances:

1. Fridge
    2. Fridge freezer
    3. Dishwasher
    4. Clothes dryer
    5. Emersion
    6. Kettle
    7. Washing machine
    8. Dimplex oil heater
    9. Blow heater
    10. Laptop battery
    11. Electric shower

Also is 1 unit KW = 16cents therefore 1w=1.6cents?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

cocorocks wrote: »
    :)

Does anyone know how much it costs to run (on average) the following average household appliances:

Also is 1 unit KW = 16cents therefore 1w=1.6cents?

This might be of help. https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/energy_efficiency/appliance_calculator.jsp

Note a KW/Kilowatt is a 1000 watts.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Greenman, you took the words right out of my mouth. :)

Our Appliance Calculator is certainly the way to go here.
    You can use it to:
    • Estimate how much your home electrical appliances and lights cost to run
    • Compare the cost of using appliances in different ways (e.g. washing clothes at 40 °C versus 60 °C)
    • See the positive impact of using your appliances wisely (e.g. using a small ring on your stovetop versus a larger one)
    Cost calculations are based on a 61-day cycle, just like your ESB Bill.

And as Greenman has also correctly pointed out, 1 Kilowatt is indeed 1,000 Watts, so if 1KW=16c, then 1W=0.016c. In any case, the calculator will take care of this part automatically.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cocorocks

THANKS A MILL....It's brilliant....really useful :D

Hi cocorocks,

Really glad you find it useful! I really like it myself - I mention it whenever I get the opportunity! For the curious minded and the budget-conscious, it can be quite addictive!... :)

If you have any more queries don't hesitate to get in touch,

All the best,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MR2912

The 16 cent is for 1 kiloWatthour (kWhr) during peak day hours (nighttime is approx half that, which is why it would be good to run dishwashers, washing machines etc after 11pm if possible), as opposed to a "kiloWatt".

A kWhr is consumed by running something that consumes 1 kiloWatt for exactly one hour. For example, running a 60 Watt bulb (0.06 kWatts) for 20 minutes during the day would cost :

KiloWatts x Time x Cost per kWhr = Total Cost

0.06 x 0.33 (20 mins = 0.33 hours) x 16 cent = 0.32 cents

And so on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

What is the real cost when you add in Standing Charge + VAT + PSO.
    Closer to 19.00c per unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MR2912 wrote: »
    The 16 cent is for 1 kiloWatthour (kWhr) during peak day hours (nighttime is approx half that, which is why it would be good to run dishwashers, washing machines etc after 11pm if possible),

Is this not just for those on a special "nightsaver" scheme or is this the same for everyone?

Question for ESB CS: David.
    What is the cost Total Cost per unit including VAT+ETC.

Hi Koura,

For a residential customer on a standard 24-hour tariff, the price per unit is 16c incl. vat. For more on our residential pricing details, please see here.

I'm assuming by ETC you mean to refer to daily standing charge and PSO levy? Just to be clear, neither of these bear a direct relation to units used; the standing charge is made up of ESB Customer Supply costs which relate to billing and collection, and ESB Networks costs which are associated with meter reading and the expense of operating and maintaining the electricity network.

The PSO (Public Service Obligation) relates to the recovery of any additional costs associated with meeting the obligation to purchase electricity generated from sustainable, renewable and indigenous sources. It is a set charge approved by the CER (Commission for Energy Regulation) and applies to all customers equally, irrespective of their usage or electricity provider.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Am I black?

• Advertisement

mikom wrote:
    Am I black?

Sorry mikom! :) You're correct; the reduced rate is only applicable to those who are on the special Nightsaver tariff.

There is no charge for changing your existing electricity meter to the Nightsaver meter. However, should you wish to change back to a standard meter, a charge of €170 (excl. vat) - €192.95 (incl. vat) - would apply.

Please note that to benefit from the Nightsaver tariff you would need to be able to convert approx. 3 to 4 units to night time use (the reduced rate kicks in from 11pm until 8am in wintertime and from 12am to 9am in summertime).

As an example, a typical Urban or Rural customer using 5,300kWh per year would need to use a minimum of 3 units by night to benefit from the Nightsaver.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,
    My ESB Bills.
    January 838 units cost €164.71. 19.65c Per Unit.
    March 841 units cost €162.52. 19.32c Per Unit.

Bottom line it costs me on Average 19.50c per Unit.

Koura.

Advertisement