Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibreglass, is this repairable?

• 28-02-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi friends,
    Thinking of buying a boat and it has a couple of marks and scrapes. If I do buy it, I plan to spend a few months doing it up but I am new when it comes to working with fibreglass.
    Would you have a look at the attached image, this gash is about 10 inches across. What do you think, is this capable of a DIY repair? If not, what cost to have it professionally done?

Many thanks

attachment.php?attachmentid=149935&stc=1&d=1298926770

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

have ya got a pic of the whole boat,would just like to see it,is that wood behind that fibreglass,also where do ya live??

what kind of boat is it

just curious

i done a hole around the same size in my boat,an done a good job for the first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭dnme

I have pics of the boat but have cropped this one here to maintain the sellers privacy. Just watched a few fibre glass repair videos on youtube that answer my question. It seems it is a simple material to repair particularly for small damage such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Silver Breeze

The faded blue gelcoat has completely de-laminated from the underlying fibre glass layup.

You will want to know "why?"

Yes, it can be repaired, but use epoxy resin which sticks better (chemical and mechanical bond) to your repair than polyester resin.

Note that you will not be able to match the gelcoat blue colour, which appears to be quite faded in your picture.

As above, curious to know what kind of boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭dnme

Many thanks, yea the gelcot is lifting. What might typically cause that? BTW the boat is listed as a seahog 16'. Does that ring any bells?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It's hard to tell if its osmosis or a stress crack, osmosis happens when the fiberglass absorbs water causing the gelcoat to lift off if it is osmosis you may have to strip off a lot more of the gelcoat to find a place where there is a good bond before you can fix it. If it is a stress crack just grind it out and build it back up with epoxy resin mixed with filler and then smooth out. I use west system resin mixed with 404 fillers, you may also need to put some fiberglass cloth on the back of the repair to give it some strength.

• Advertisement
Advertisement