Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Drive problems

• 28-02-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I had initially posted this in the Laptop section but thought this might be a more appropriate forum...

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1200 running XP, I went to reallocate drive space with Partition magic yesterday but the reallocation process failed and said it reverted to previous configuration. Now the laptop wont boot, just brings up the blue screen, i tried running the recovery console but when i try type in any command it says The path or file specified is not valid. I presume this means it cant find the c: drive? Is there anything I can do from here besides format and restart? Unfortunately I didnt back up all my stuff before I started all this so would rather try recover what I have on the disk before formaytting. I have a substantial amount of it backed up from a month or two ago so wont be a disaster if I do format......

....Seem to be having no luck using the windows CD, I have tried repairing the install, the hard drive is recognised but its not finding the windows installation.

My next idea was to take out the hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure. When I connect this to another computer it detects an external hard drive and trys install it. This seems to work OK but the drive does not show up in My Computer. Is there anything I have forgotten to do here?

My current idea now is to boot Ubuntu from a CD and see if I can see the files from there. If I could get my files off the drive I would happily reformat the drive then.

Has anyone else has any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

briN_s wrote: »
    My next idea was to take out the hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure. When I connect this to another computer it detects an external hard drive and trys install it. This seems to work OK but the drive does not show up in My Computer. Is there anything I have forgotten to do here?

Right click on my computer > manage > disk management
    See if it shows up here, and if it has a drive letter assigned

Hopefully it works out for you, I know the pain of losing irreplaceable photos thanks to partition magic (ok... partition magic and a little stupidity/impatience on my part...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

As many refer to it, Partition Tragic. Never nice to lose data. Used Partition Magic some years ago, and lost over a gigabyte of data. Thankfully nothing too important, mainly audio ripped from cds and dvds. Prefer Acronis software now, which has so far (touches wood) worked without any problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

tman wrote: »
    (ok... partition magic and a little stupidity/impatience on my part...)
    Thats what kinda got me here in the first place too!

Only the hard drive of the computer and the CD drive showing up in disk managment.
    Anyone got any thoughts on going the Ubuntu route?

Advertisement