Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help regarding System Restore on XP.

• 28-02-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

I am after completing a System Restore on my Windows XP laptop, but I was under the impression that it would erase all my data on the HDD. Instead there is still about 100GB out of 160GB in use but I cannot access it. I assume it is all my previous data. Is there anyway I can delete this? I hav tried to delete all previous System Restore points under Disc Cleanup but that hasn't worked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dman001 wrote: »
    I am after completing a System Restore on my Windows XP laptop, but I was under the impression that it would erase all my data on the HDD. Instead there is still about 100GB out of 160GB in use but I cannot access it. I assume it is all my previous data. Is there anyway I can delete this? I hav tried to delete all previous System Restore points under Disc Cleanup but that hasn't worked.

System Restore put Windows back to it's previous state at a particular date.. (called a System Restore Point.. ) ... It does not erase anything... It may be that the System Restore is using up a lot of space itself..

You could download TreeSize to see what types of files are taking up the space... http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

Is space the ONLY issue that you are having with the PC? (just wondering why you would do a System Restore if this is the case)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Apologies it wasn't System Restore, but a System Recovery. Im not sur if they are the same thing? I have a System Recovery disc that came in my laptop, and my laptop was giving me bother so decided to use it just to get rid of all th junk from my laptop and start fresh. I had everything I needed to keep backed up so was hoping everything would of being deleted.

Just to note, I donwloaded Treesize and it doesn't recognize that this space is being used on the HDD. Yet whn i right click on the HDD it tells me that about 100GB is bing used. There is a folder under Documents and Settings called User but everytime I try to open it it tells me access is denied.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Just to note, I donwloaded Treesize and it doesn't recognize that this space is being used on the HDD. Yet whn i right click on the HDD it tells me that about 100GB is bing used.

If you right click on the C: drive in my computer, what does it say for Used Space and Free Space... ?
    There is a folder under Documents and Settings called User but everytime I try to open it it tells me access is denied.

You will need Administrator access to get access to these folders... Can you log in as Administrator or give your own user Admin equivalent rights?

There is only one account and it has the administrative rights. My current account is called "Owner", while the account I had before I used the Recovery disc was "User". But it tells me that this User folder under Documents and Settings is 0 bytes.

It is telling me used sapce is about 100GB and free sapce is about 42GB.

• Advertisement

Okay well if you cant see where the data is through TreeSize.. here's a couple of other things you could try...

- Go to the recycle bin and see if there are any files there.
    - search for large files >20,000Kb and see what turns up...

But you really should be logged in as an Administrator to make sure you are seeing the full picture... TreeSize may give you more information if you can log in as an Administrator equivalent user...

Also have a look at this article which will show you have to see exactly how much space System Restore itself is using up on your hard drive..

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-delete-system-restore-points-windows-7/

Many thanks for the help. Sorry what I meant above is that I am logged in as Administrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Set folder options view all files,view hidden files,you can use spacemonger demo version to see all files on drive c.http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html
    see here http://www.techrepublic.com/article/investigate-the-restore-point-files-in-windows-xp/5836422
    or use windows acessorys,windows explorer.
    IF YOU ARE GONNA DELETE THE FILES ,you should back up,any important,data ,folders,photos to a usb drive and a dvdr disk too.you should knock off system restore before you delete those files,reboot,then turn it on again.

ricman wrote: »
    Set folder options view all files,view hidden files,you can use spacemonger demo version to see all files on drive c.http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html
    see here http://www.techrepublic.com/article/investigate-the-restore-point-files-in-windows-xp/5836422
    or use windows acessorys,windows explorer.
    IF YOU ARE GONNA DELETE THE FILES ,you should back up,any important,data ,folders,photos to a usb drive and a dvdr disk too.you should knock off system restore before you delete those files,reboot,then turn it on again.
    Cheers mate but the System Volume Information folder is only taking up over 2GB of space. Im still losing out in about 100GB of space.

Apologies in bumping this but it's really bugging me now. If I format the HDD, is it possible to re-install Windows from the Recovery Disc I got with the laptop. It's the only Windows related Disc I got with the laptop.

• Advertisement

Got it now. Did another System Restore and I must of done something different because I have a fresh XP now once again. I appreciate all the help I got!

Advertisement