Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy diesel from filling station - how to report?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im looking for some information on behalf of a close friend from work.

She is currently driving a 2005 2.2 Diesel accord and has been having lots of issues with it lately,

first it was the filters were clogged and now it looks like the fuel injectors are damaged too.

The mechanic that worked on it said that it was dirty diesel that was the cause of the problems.

She always fills up in the same filling station and pays by laser card so she has proof of purchase.

She was wonder is there some regularity body or someone she can report this filling station too in order to have this investigated as it "appears" that other cars in the area are having issues after filling up in that location.

Is there someone she can be referred to in order to proceed with a complaint other than the filling station itself?

Thanks
    -V-
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Contact your local revenue/customs office. Sounds like the place is selling washed diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

It can happen that when the station is refilled it disturbs the sediment in the bottom of the reserve.
    Takes time for it to rest. If you are unlucky enough to fill up when this is happening then it's bad luck.
    You could complain to the station itself. See what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

there is a process for testing fuel. It involves taking a sample from each pump and the customer car and they are sent for analysis. The is the usual in large chains where there is a claim of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

It does not seem to be a once off issue which is why I am leaning towards that there is an issue with the diesel itself.

There seems to be a regular occurrence with problems from this place, but I can only comment on this one in particular as I have dealt with it directly.

This is the 3rd or 4th fuel filter on this car in the last 3 months and now according to the mechanic, the injectors are damaged and it wants to take out the fuel tank out of the car and flush it clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It does not seem to be a once off issue which is why I am leaning towards that there is an issue with the diesel itself.

There seems to be a regular occurrence with problems from this place, but I can only comment on this one in particular as I have dealt with it directly.

This is the 3rd or 4th fuel filter on this car in the last 3 months and now according to the mechanic, the injectors are damaged and it wants to take out the fuel tank out of the car and flush it clean.

Definitely washed diesel, they're supposed to clean the acid out after they wash the die out but they rarely do.

• Advertisement

Contact garda / revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I don't understand why she doesn't say it to the garage if she thinks the fuel is the problem and make them aware of any issues so that they could actually do something about it.

If you you seriously think they are using illegal diesel by all means report them, fuel stations are checked regularly anyway, traces remain for ages if they have been washing the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 takeabreak

did your friend report the issue to the garage/customs? Or any outcome on the situation? I filled up with diesel in 2010 clio earlier and it was chugging on the way home after 5 mins of filling up. Im now getting the AA to toe my car to the dealer in the morning :mad: Must say the main dealer i got the car from was terific and the lady when I called the AA but dont know where to go to report it if it is dodgy diesel but it has to be more than coincidence?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Why not point out the obvious to your friend and tell them to fill at a different station as well as report?

If they've put up with suspected fuel for 3 months along with 3 filters and now injectors, there's more to be said about the way your friend thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

My friend and her father are making a formal complaint to the garage first before going any further to see what they do.

• Advertisement

where i work it takes 24 hours for a formal complaint to be actioned not a month?????
    any update on this formal complaint?

If my garage deems this to be at fault with diesel .... i will not leave it as a formal complaint to be actioned alongside a formal complaint loged due to a customer stating their bread is not fresh enough. this is a serious matter and to be honest i will not be quiet about it while my complaint is being dealt with. My car is less than 1 year old and I will not spend a fortune fixing it. A large garages reputation will be ruined if i am ignored, i will not be logging a formal complaint to be never dealt with again... Your friend is mad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Used to own a filling station and had a similar complaint, turned out that when the car tank was emptied toy pieces were found in it. it would appear that her son was opening the fuel cap and putting crap into the tank.

it could also be dirt in the bottom our your own tank as well.

i dont have kids or stupid people living with me. furthermore the only time my diesel cap is off is when im filling up??????

Shelflife wrote: »
    Used to own a filling station and had a similar complaint, turned out that when the car tank was emptied toy pieces were found in it. it would appear that her son was opening the fuel cap and putting crap into the tank.

it could also be dirt in the bottom our your own tank as well.

Did the customer or your business pay for the inspection?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Revenue/Customs take these allegations seriously and will take andanalyse samples if you make a formal complaint. Filling up in one station all the time is even more helpful to them.

If they find the diesel is washed and contains residual acid ...which is what normally happens...your case is against the station and its owner but AFTER customs finish with them of course. Customs will give a detailed statement on the samples they took as part of your case.

Injector damage from acid residues is a known side effect of washing diesel, keep the injectors for the case. Customs sometimes examine them and produce an expert report on pitting caused by acid but normally they only check the fuel itself.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Did the customer or your business pay for the inspection?

customer did as we were happy that it wasnt a problem of our making. we had no other complaints, which we would have done if it was our tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

takeabreak wrote: »
    i dont have kids or stupid people living with me. furthermore the only time my diesel cap is off is when im filling up??????

I think the post is saying there are more reasons why something goes wrong and until you have proof you cannot mouth off against the garage, the brand of diesel or anything else even if its very probable that the diesel caused a problem.

The main dealer will give you their expert report and if there is an issue with the fuel, you can report it to customs & excise fuel division in Phoenix Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It'd seem somewhat unlikely that any branded garage would be selling "dodgy diesel" though as they'd be in serious trouble with the brand that they're buying the franchise from.

If it's a small independent retailer though, anything is possible.

I'd say the more likely scenario is that there is dirt of some sort or even water in the garage's tank.

Water can cause really serious problems including a growth of bacterial sludge in the tank!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redjim

just had my 10D focus in the last week fueled with dirty or contaminated diesel .€250 to clean tank and €170 to fit new fuel filters have got samples of fuel and engineers report on same i bought diesel in Finglas area, will approach garage to see what their response will be,have been told that the heavy rain we had would have lodged on garage refilling polnt in ground and seep into underground tanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

redjim wrote: »
    just had my 10D focus in the last week fueled with dirty or contaminated diesel .€250 to clean tank and €170 to fit new fuel filters have got samples of fuel and engineers report on same i bought diesel in Finglas area, will approach garage to see what their response will be,have been told that the heavy rain we had would have lodged on garage refilling polnt in ground and seep into underground tanks

It would be very rare that one tankful of dirty diesel would cause a problem - usually the problem is over time and then the last fill you do put it over the edge.

There's plenty of info around google on this.

imo if its always the same garage you get your fuel, you have a case, but if like most people you shop around, it would ne near on impossible to place the blame on one particular garage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement